Winter Treads

This is likely not the time you would be thinking of it, but as I was at my tire shop for the MX-5 yesterday anyway, I asked about winter rubber/steel rims for my CX-5 GT due for late August delivery. Here in the Great White North I have always driven three seasons on all-season and full winter rubber in the cold(er) months. The quote I got for 17" rims and Michelin Latitude Alpins was 1786$ on the road. Has anyone else looked into the cost of keeping this ride on the road in snow?

Brian

I have started to look, at 1786$ I hope it is with alloy wheels ? !! otherwise stay away from that dealer.

steel wheels should be about 50 to 70$ in 17" size, and winter tires should be between 150 and 220$ depending on what you want. As for alloys, decent ones can be bought for about 150$ per corner.

Myself, I already have a set of 17" alloys. As for the tires, I have been looking at a set of Nokian Hakkapellitta 7 SUV, or R, they are not cheap, about 200-220 but worth it depending where you live. I also like the Michelin Ice2 which are considerably cheaper. But there tons of choice of good winter tires. It all depends on what kind of conditions you get.

You can put 16" on also. From what I saw, seems like there is a bit more options for the 16s.

I saw a "Motoring" review of the all new Michelin ice3 and all of the journalist that try it seems to say it was the best overall winter tire on the market. (or soon to be on the market)
They also say that it will last 1.5 to 2 time more than any competittors, i might go with Michelin for the first time this winter, alway's thought they were way too expensive but if i get that kind of longevity it's probably worth they extra bucks.

well I had Nokian Hakka 5 on my Outlander, I did 5 winters on them (I still had about 4-5/32 left on them, but I was going to change them but we sold the car).
If the Michelin can match that, it is a good deal considerering the price. :)

well I had Nokian Hakka 5 on my Outlander, I did 5 winters on them (I still had about 4-5/32 left on them, but I was going to change them but we sold the car).
If the Michelin can match that, it is a good deal considerering the price. :)

They made a comparaison with they Hakkapelita and seem's to say it will outlasted them at a cheaper price.

They made a comparaison with they Hakkapelita and seem's to say it will outlasted them at a cheaper price.

Well, it's always hard to tell what constitutes good wear for a winter tire as you have to both account for the distance driven seasonally, and the weather conditions; a cold snowy winter will be gentler to your tread. I am a Michelin man (well I suppose given my physique I'm a Michelinman), and the last winter tires/steel rims I bought were in January 1999 for the then new Volvo. I have taken them to the tire shop every spring since 2009 for an opinion on their continued utility and was told "you should get another winter out of them". Until this spring when they said to replace them this fall. Instead I am replacing the car.

And the quote I was given IS for steel wheels. There is still some possibility for a reduction, as it is possible to source an appropriate 16"/rim wheel combination which will still perform on the CX-5. Small would reduce costs and as stated above, open up additional possibilities. It would appear I would do considerably better at Tire Rack in the USA; having them shipped to the USP drop off at the border and then taking the 1 hour drive to pick them up. Still, I have an unfortunate tendency to buy local as it results in a local source for service and advice.

Brian

I still have my 17 steel wheel from my Mazda3 speed, they are still in good condition so i will stick with 17" at my expenses.

I use to have Blizzak on the Speed and wasn't really happy with them so maybee this time i will try Michelin's.

I plan to use my winter wheels from my 2005 escape i traded in. They are 16" steel rims with the same bolt pattern and only a slight difference in diameter. Cooper discoverEr m+s. Not the best winter tires but better than all seasons and risking sliding into a curb with the 19" alloys.

For our last 2 vehicles we got a cheaper set of tires and opted for studs to save money. You have to be able to put up with feeling and sounding like a tank for 3 months of the year though lol. They were 16s and we'd get a set of 4 for about $600 installed. Throw in a set of steels for ~$60 a pop and you should be snow/ice ready for under $1000. Check Canadian Tire. They have an excellent warranty plan for a great price. Anything happens to the tires during their normal life, they will repair/replace no questions asked.

Another thing to think about is TPI sensors for the tires. However according to tire rack
This vehicle relies on the wheel speed sensors in the hubs to monitor the tire pressure differences. Although no tire sensors are required, a TPMS reset is required so the vehicle learns the new tire overall diameters.

I live near the Canadian border so definitely snow tires are pretty much a necessity. I like Blizacks but really any quality snow will do for me.

Latest posts

Back