Winter/Snow tires

I'm kind of late to the thread, but Nokian makes some of the best winter tires in the world. These are a great choice for the CX-5, is a high-performance tire and come in 225/55/19 which is OEM on many CX-5 models (obviously many other sizes as well)

I'm kind of kicking myself for not going with studded Hakkas on my CX-9. Doesn't mean I'm not satisfied with the Blizzak DM-V2s, I just always hear great things about Hakkapeliitta winter tires. Maybe on my future CX-90 :cool:

I was debating between the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 and the Micheline X-ice Snow SUV. Went with the X-ice because of a $70 dollar rebate for a set of 4. First winter tires on an AWD vehicle for me. My dads old Mazda tribute seems to have better traction than my CX-5. The back end doesn't seem to slip as much.

Get yourself a good set of winter tires on Steelies, you won't regret it. I experience the difference between summer tires and snow on a daily basis and it's night and day. In Quebec, Canada it's actually law that you require snows during specific months because it's proven they are safer.

I'm kind of kicking myself for not going with studded Hakkas on my CX-9. Doesn't mean I'm not satisfied with the Blizzak DM-V2s, I just always hear great things about Hakkapeliitta winter tires. Maybe on my future CX-90 :cool:
Newest studded Hakka is now called Hakka 10 (how time flies). Years ago, I've had the Hakka 1 and Hakka 2 both studded; fantastic on ice and snow but noisy like hell and the studs were flying off after a couple of years so I pulled them out in the Spring with vice grips and a thin screwdriver. I used soapy water to ease removal but could only do one tire a day after work and my right arm was sore for a while!

The R3 is a studless tire similar to your DM-V2. I've had the DM-V1 on my previous 2 vehicles quite happy with them and before I had the WS70 and WS80 also quite good but the X-ice Snow SUV I have on my CX-5 are better on cleared pavement.

Back