Will 2016+ 18" wheels be ok on a 2011 CX-9 in regard to TPMS?

My mom currently has a 2011 FWD CX-9. She recently moved to an area where it snows and is planning on replacing her 2011 CX-9 with the newest generation next year. I am going to use my yearly bonus check to buy snow tires and wheels for her as it will make her more comfortable driving in the winter weather. I know the 2016+ wheels will fit fine but what about the TPMS? I understand there are sensors. Are the sensors the compatible between a 2011 and a 2016+ CX-9?

Should I just have the shop swap her sensors from the 20" All-Seasons this year and then buy an additional set for the newer model when she buys that?

Thank you for your help.

The current tire pressure sensor resides in the valve stem. The tire shop will install the sensors when they mount the tires. I don't know what system the 2011 uses. If it is the system with the sensors in the valve stem, the batteries fail after a few years. If they swap the sensors they'll charge you for a kit with the rubber seal plus labor. No real point in the swap.

You are probably ok. The previous generation has the sensors in the valve stem. The new ones do too (aside from the 2016 which used a different system to determine if a tire was underinflated).

If you buy wheels and tires, the shop will install TPMS sensors in them. At this point, I would not reuse the ones in the 2011 because they have batteries that last 10 years or so. I looked at TPMS sensors online and It looks like the aftermarket sensors that are available work on both the 2011 and 2017 and up models.

I would install the most recent tpms. Worst case it won’t be compatible with the older cx-9 but from what you are saying she won’t keep it for very long. I don’t have tpms sensors on my 2018 cx-9 winter wheels and all it does is that the tire pressure warning light is on in the dash.

Back