Why? Key fob buttons so small?

Hi. I'm considering a 2021 CX-5 and took a test drive a few days ago. It is very nice. I was wondering why the key fob buttons are so very small. Has anyone had issues pressing them?

I'm concerned that it will be harder to feel and use them when wearing gloves in the winter. Although the car will unlock/lock and start without the need to press anything, opening the hatch requires a press, correct? TIA

No, there's a button on the hatch to open plus one inside to the left of the steering wheel. The only thing I ever use the fob for is to allow me to enter and start the vehicle. It never leaves my pocket.

So you've never needed to press any of the buttons? What if you what to unlock the car or open the hatch from a distance for a family member to open?

It's never been a problem for me to push the buttons based on size -- but the fob has been a pain in the ass for me just on size and location of the buttons on the side

If I could reprogram the smaller one from a couple of years ago to work on a 2021, I would

So you've never needed to press any of the buttons? What if you what to unlock the car or open the hatch from a distance for a family member to open?
Nope. I usually walk up and open the door for whoever needs to get in. It's not that hard, if you press the button on the passenger door it will unlock all doors. Two presses on the driver's door unlocks all. Touching the button on the hatch raises the hatch.

I've got a better question, why is the key fob so darn big?
And why are the buttons so small? It's not like there wasn't room on the fob to make them larger.

And I do use them sometimes, mostly when I look back and see that the car hasn't actually locked when I walked away. Those folding mirrors have their own issues but as a locked indicator they work great. :)

My 2021 allows the owner to program the remote to lock the doors after you are ~15’ away. A great way to make locking a non-issue.

The 2021 fob is a step backwards from my 2014 fob. I am unable to locate the correct button in the dark because it is too small and in addition the fob is much too large. Ed

Back