Where to source tools for working on your Mazda

:
South Carolina
:
12 MZ5 13 CX-5
When it comes to ratchets I only use Snap-on, because there absolutely is a difference between them and a lesser brand. Once you use one, you'll understand. Except for my JIS specialty screwdrivers, I have Snap-on for those as well.

I know most people who aren't pros will choke on the price of a Snap-on ratchet, but I've only ever bought one ratchet new from Snap-on, my TLLF72, and it was $99. And yeah, that SUUUUUUCKED paying $100 for a ratchet. But it's unlike any other 1/4" drive ratchet on the market. 72 teeth, flex head, with a 12" handle. It's SWEEEEET. And, as it turns out, that is absolutely one of my very most used tools in my box, so I consider it worth it. Use one even once, especially if you're a guy that does their own wrenching, and you'll "get it".

As far as my other Snappy stuff: hand-me-downs, Craiglist, Facebook Marketplace, eBay, and pawn shops are you friends. You'd be amazed at the absolute deals you can get. FLF80 3/8 flex head for $30? Yup, that one is mine.

You don't have to spend a weeks pay for a set of screwdrivers. Buy them one at a time from various second hand sources, and soon you'll have the whole set for not much more that the stuff at Horror Fraught.

And I'm not saying that HF is trash, not at all. I have both the 1.5T aluminum "racing" jack and then big daddy yellow Daytona, and absolutely LOVE both of them. I used to use their jack stands, but y'all know how that went. OOF. (I have American made US Jack ones now, my life is worth it). Most of my impact sockets are Pittsburgh Pros from HF. Most of the Braun lights are good too, once you mod them with good batteries. The little $5 one I threw in the trash though.

But, you have to admit, some of their stuff just ain't good. For example, I've used HF screwdrivers before, and even the Pittsburgh Pros are just plain garbage. Japanese made Vessel screwdrivers I have for my JIS fasteners are only $10-ish each brand new from Amazon, and they are straight up amazing. Tekton, Sunex, and Gearwrench also make terrific lower cost tools. My sockets and wrenches are a complete mis-mash of Blue-Point, Mac, Craftsman, Gearwrench, Matco, and Snap-on. When I find a name brand socket or wrench cheap, I pick it up.

It's just when it comes to screwdrivers or ratchets, I refuse to compromise. ESPECIALLY with screwdrivers. You kinda get sick and tired of stripping out screwheads after a while.

I don't consider any of my equipment to be "good quality", it's mostly just average, which is fine for my needs. Aside from my torque wrenches (which I haven't used yet), everything is from Canadian Tire or Home Depot. I believe my screwdriver set is from Husky, my ratchet/wrench/socket set is from Mastercraft, and my various drill bits are from Ridgid. I also have a Dewalt cordless drill, Ryobi circular saw, a Mastercraft rotary tool, and my newest tool - an electric impact wrench from Princess Auto. I've had most of these tools for years, and I'm at a point in my life where if I ever need/want to replace them, I'm going to spend the money for the better stuff because it'll last forever. I think I'm going to go with a corded drill this time, I hate running out of juice in the middle of a job.

I ever need/want to replace them, I'm going to spend the money for the better stuff
Like I said, just do one piece at a time. Before you know it, you have a box full of the really good stuff!

For my power tools, I have Milwaukee M12 stuff because I mostly work on cars. The M12 12V is way more compact than the 18V or 20V that a lot of people use, so it fits inside of the tight compartments of a car way easier.

I have two corded drills, both of which are OLD. my Black and Decker Industrial that I bought in the 80's when I was in HS is still my go-to. It is exactly the same DeWalt drill that they still sell today, except it's gray instead of yellow. (B&D has owned DeWalt since the 60's or even before, it's literally the same company, most people don't know that). I also have a corded Makita that was my father in law's from the 80's. It's a terrific tool, but I like B&D a bit better.

Back