Where can I find a new CMU for 2016 infotainment center? Google is failing me.

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring
As others have experienced, my system is in a constant state of rebooting. Dealer wants over $1300 to replace CMU, which is cute. I figured I'd replace myself. Many videos show how easy it is. However, I can't find a CMU anywhere for sale. Does somebody have a good link?

As others have experienced, my system is in a constant state of rebooting. Dealer wants over $1300 to replace CMU, which is cute. I figured I'd replace myself. Many videos show how easy it is. However, I can't find a CMU anywhere for sale. Does somebody have a good link?

have you called Mazda NA they may offer a good will free part, but you can call LKQ (LKQonline). They have plenty of headunits but didn't see the CMU. You can call and see about that particular part (have p/n ready).

have you called Mazda NA they may offer a good will free part, but you can call LKQ (LKQonline). They have plenty of headunits but didn't see the CMU. You can call and see about that particular part (have p/n ready).

Mazda NA said they were aware of the problem however there is nothing than can do since my car is a 2016. Translated: Yes we know it's broken but you're SOL. I was going to call again tomorrow. Keep calling.

I can't figure out what part number I need. I think it's 2014-2016 CMU for all Mazda's.

Don't know what a CMU is, and really don't care either. I have an extended B2B warranty to specifically cover such ridiculously over-priced non-sense...but, I'm sure there's a wrecked vehicle or two floating around that one can be harvested from.

http://www.car-part.com/

Plug in your vehicle's info, select the part (not likely a CMU is on the list), so you must select a part from the list that would indicate the salvager has/had the entire vehicle, or likely what you're looking for, in their inventory. Then start making phone calls. Be prepared to email a picture of what exactly you're looking for to make life easy on them, and you'll find what you need somewhere at a very reasonable price compared to the $1,300 OEM part, which btw is more than what the B2B extended warranty (ins. policy) set me back.

Never had a problem finding what I've needed over the years including some hard to find parts for 30+ year old vehicles that one would have thought were all crushed decades ago.

Don't know what a CMU is, and really don't care either. I have an extended B2B warranty to specifically cover such ridiculously over-priced non-sense.

And you never miss an opportunity to remind us of that. :D

Mazda NA said they were aware of the problem however there is nothing than can do since my car is a 2016. Translated: Yes we know it's broken but you're SOL. I was going to call again tomorrow. Keep calling.

Who told you that? The person who received your call? Or, someone got back to you later?
If person who you conversed with told you that, you definitely should call again. This time, hopefully you get someone else more sympathetic to your case.
From my experiences, (have been a Mazda customer since '2008) Mazda corporate is more helpful than, says, Toyota or Honda.
They sometimes will split the cost (part, labor, etc.) with you if your vehicle is just out of warranty by a few months or a few Ks of miles.

Plead your case. Tell them how much you love your Mazda until this happens.... (mad)

Last edited:
And you never miss an opportunity to remind us of that. :D

haha...
you bet...
CMU is dead Mr. Dealer, fix the damn thing. Call me when it's done, and done right (whilst I rack up miles on their loaner). (rolleyes)

We need a popcorn chewing smiley for these types of threads.

I'm in that same boat as you. took mine to the dealer and the CMU is fried. wouldn't even take the updated firmware version. so it's either that or replace with a new radio set up. dealer told me to try CS as well but I think that'll just be a waste of time.

If its not a hawrdware fault but the bootlooop, it is fixable but the problem ia finding a electrical person in US who can fix it, has the right equipment to reprogram the chip to trigger the failsafe restore and knows jci cmus :(

Who told you that? The person who received your call? Or, someone got back to you later?
If person who you conversed with told you that, you definitely should call again. This time, hopefully you get someone else more sympathetic to your case.
From my experiences, (have been a Mazda customer since '2008) Mazda corporate is more helpful than, says, Toyota or Honda.
They sometimes will split the cost (part, labor, etc.) with you if your vehicle is just out of warranty by a few months or a few Ks of miles.

Plead your case. Tell them how much you love your Mazda until this happens.... (mad)
My CMU went and I was stuck in the infamous reboot loop. I called Mazda NA and told them what happened. I said even though the car was out of warranty a radio should not fail in 3 years time. I of course said how much I lived Mazdas (truth). Anyway they replaced CMU for free. This was Sept 2019. 2016 CX5 Touring. Call again and be persistent.

Tried this?

How to soft reset the Mazda Connect infotainment system

[codex_nas_adsense]
If the Mazda CMU freezes or locks up while driving – or if for any reason you need to reset the CMU – you can reset it without turning off the ignition by pressing the following button combination and holding it for 10 seconds:
BACK + MUTE + NAV
The infotainment screen will go black then display the Mazda logo as the unit finishes rebooting.

Back