When to buy conundrum

rockethead26

2019 CX-5 Reserve
:
N. Arizona @ 7000'
Looking at buying a CX-5 Reserve in the next few weeks. Currently Mazda offers 0.9% financing thru Oct 31st and I would qualify for a $750 incentive.

I was going to wait until Nov/Dec to see if the incentive and the dealer willingness to deal improve. The big question is on the 0.9% financing that ends in 11 days. Will it extend? Will it go away completely? Will it go up to 1.9 or 2.9%?

Any historical anecdotes to help me make a decision? I know no one has a crystal ball, so best guesses are also good.

Given the depressed sales of the auto industry in general, I*d be very surprised if they didn*t extend the 0.9% financing and incentives. Mazda*s sales figures already aren*t good, so I think raising rates would be suicide.

Given the depressed sales of the auto industry in general, I*d be very surprised if they didn*t extend the 0.9% financing and incentives. Mazda*s sales figures already aren*t good, so I think raising rates would be suicide.

True. I would think that the closer they get to the end of the year, the more desperate they'll be to sell, especially this year. But it's a crap shoot for sure.

The incentives have artificial expiration dates at the end of each month. There'll be something very similar for November/December. These incentives shouldn't change your payment by more than a few dollars or so in any direction. Decide on the spec you want, wait until the last week of the month to negotiate, when dealers are trying to make their quota, and they are more willing to take loser deals to make their quotas.

Looking at buying a CX-5 Reserve in the next few weeks. Currently Mazda offers 0.9% financing thru Oct 31st and I would qualify for a $750 incentive.

I was going to wait until Nov/Dec to see if the incentive and the dealer willingness to deal improve. The big question is on the 0.9% financing that ends in 11 days. Will it extend? Will it go away completely? Will it go up to 1.9 or 2.9%?

Any historical anecdotes to help me make a decision? I know no one has a crystal ball, so best guesses are also good.

I bought my first GTR on April 30. The APR deal then was 2.9% The next day on May 1 it dropped to 0.9%, where it has been since. That first GTR was rear ended & totaled and I started shopping for it's replacement. I was hoping the incentives would change from Sept. into Oct. but everything stayed the same. The $750 owner loyalty has been the same for as long I can remember. I got a good enough deal on the replacement to get me to act now. Even the customer cash varies depending on locality. On the GTR in PA it's $500. In Colorado it's $1500.
It's basically a crap shoot as to what next month will bring.

Last edited:
Request the quote by email...out the door price. Check inventory online and go to dealer when closed to look at car. Then, go test and see if you want to buy it. No hassle and best pricing from experience. I found owners name on their web site and sent email. He gave it to General Manager who sent quote. GM turned it over to salesman for test drive.

It's true about buying at end of month. Always remember, you are in control...you have the money. I haven't read about any dealers going bankrupt...so they are making a profit which they are entitled to make.

Good luck. As to the interest rate...I would anticipate it will be continued at least on 2019 models to clear out for 2020.

Thanks everyone for your help on this. I will start working this the last week of November and at this point I am assuming nothing from Mazda will change, only the dealer's willingness to deal.

Great advice all around.

Jim

Thanks everyone for your help on this. I will start working this the last week of November and at this point I am assuming nothing from Mazda will change, only the dealer's willingness to deal.

Great advice all around.

Jim

FWIW, once you have several prices from different dealers to give you a starting point, don't be hesitant to then respond with your own lowest deal you're comfortable with. No matter how much lower than the dealer's offer it may seem. You've got nothing to lose & the worst that can happen is they say no. When I did that with my best offer, I never heard from several of the dealers again but my local dealer accepted that offer the same day.

Back