When the battery dies

:
CX5 '21 GTR
Today my battery died, had to jump start, my fault - left light on while fixing something

With the button start the car doesn't even try to start the engine, but I can see that there's still some juice left there - the lights still work
Question - is there a way to make it give it a try?

Refer to page 4-8 (or 142/620) of your owner's manual.

Emergency Operation for Starting the Engine

If the KEY warning light (red) illuminates, or the push button start indicator light (amber) flashes, this could indicate that the engine may not start using the usual starting method (for vehicles with a type A instrument cluster, messages are displayed in the instrument cluster). Have your vehicle inspected at an Authorized Mazda Dealer as soon as possible. If this occurs, the engine can be force-started. Press and hold the push button start until the engine starts. Other procedures necessary for starting the engine such as having the key in the cabin, and depressing the clutch pedal (manual transaxle) or the brake pedal (automatic transaxle) are required.

IMO, before doing this, I would try to recharge the battery using a battery tender as Chocolate suggested.

Upvote 0
Today my battery died, had to jump start, my fault - left light on while fixing something

With the button start the car doesn't even try to start the engine, but I can see that there's still some juice left there - the lights still work
Question - is there a way to make it give it a try?
Either charge the battery, or jump start the car.

Upvote 0
Either charge the battery, or jump start the car.
It happened to me once but the Battery Saver function kept the voltage to a bit over 10v. It took less than an hour of recharging to bring the voltage up enough to start the engine.

Upvote 0
I carry a Li-Ion batter starter in the cargo area. Just in case. It lasts for more than 1 yr. If you worry, you can get the supercap type, which does not contain battery inside. It drains your 12V battery to charge itself (the supercap inside) to start your engine. It takes about 30sec to 1 min to charge. Very light, but more expensive than the Li-Ion starter.

My daughter used the Li-Ion starter once. It costs from $50 to $100 on Amazon. Charge it once a year. You can use it to help fellow motorists in need. Visit "Project Farm" youtube channel to find out which one was the best. He has a video on it.

Upvote 0
A BatteryTender has too little capacity to charge a car battery. A small motorcycle, maybe.

A typical car starting battery needs Capacity/5 to C/20 amps to charge it, or as much as 12 amps and 6 to 8 hours for the typical 60 A-hr battery.

Upvote 0
I've used the Battery Tender Plus 1.25A to recharge my CX-9's battery after accidentally leaving my dashcam on for a few days without driving it. I also carry a Li-Ion jump starter in my trunk. The carrying case is about as big as a small notebook. Very handy to have, though I haven't had to use it yet.

Upvote 0
Most tenders are going to have a hard time charging a completely discharged battery.

I have the same tender as Mike mentioned above, an excellent tender. I've never tried to use it on a completely discharged battery though.

Upvote 0
Back