2013~2016 When should the diff fluid be changed?

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
Have 31,000 on my 2016 CX-5, just turned 6 yrs old. Will take it in mid summer for its once a year oil change. It's not driven hard (hardly driven), hasn't gone through high water, etc.

Should it get changed along with the oil?

In your case, I'd say no, don't bother.

I DO change mine at 30k, because I tow and use it off-road enough to have over-heated the rear diff once.

My understanding is that Mazda states that they recommend changing the rear diff lube only if the diff has been submerged in water.

That said, I plan on changing mine when I do the trans fluid change, another thing that Mazda really has no recommended change interval on. I'll be doing this at around 40k or 50k miles.

One thing to keep in mind about the rear diff. Mazda is notorious for not filling the diff completely. Folks on this forum who have checked the level have all found the same thing, it's low. Mine was about 12 oz. low. I topped it off with OEM lube.

My understanding is that Mazda states that they recommend changing the rear diff lube only if the diff has been submerged in water.

That said, I plan on changing mine when I do the trans fluid change, another thing that Mazda really has no recommended change interval on. I'll be doing this at around 40k or 50k miles.

One thing to keep in mind about the rear diff. Mazda is notorious for not filling the diff completely. Folks on this forum who have checked the level have all found the same thing, it's low. Mine was about 12 oz. low. I topped it off with OEM lube.
You're right on that. I asked the dealer when the tranny fluid should be replaced and they said never.
Tried to tell me it was a sealed system. I'll ask them to check the diff level when I take it in mid summer and hold off replacing the tranny and diff/transfer case fluid until I reach 40k.

If they balk at changing the fluids I'll just buy the oem fluids and take it to an indy shop.

Can't believe they would turn down the easy cash of fluid changes.

Checking the rear diff yourself is easy. You don't even have to elevate the car to do this. Just crawl under the rear end and it's all right there. You'll want to be sure to use the OEM lube for this and if you take it to the dealer for this make sure that they also use OEM lube. I know, it should be a no brainer that the dealer would use the correct lube, but...

You're right on that. I asked the dealer when the tranny fluid should be replaced and they said never.
Tried to tell me it was a sealed system. I'll ask them to check the diff level when I take it in mid summer and hold off replacing the tranny and diff/transfer case fluid until I reach 40k.

If they balk at changing the fluids I'll just buy the oem fluids and take it to an indy shop.

Can't believe they would turn down the easy cash of fluid changes.
Probably, because it could cause more harm than good. The lifetime transmission fluid issue comes up on the Lexus forum from time to time. From what I can tell, those that are having transmission issues, usually had the fluid replaced previously.

Probably, because it could cause more harm than good. The lifetime transmission fluid issue comes up on the Lexus forum from time to time. From what I can tell, those that are having transmission issues, usually had the fluid replaced previously.
My Mazda dealer will do the ATF drain-and-fill by request, and even suggests the customers to do it after certain miles.

Lifetime fluid on AT...Ask any E39 BMW owners...I was one of them. Personally, I don't believe in that, unless the automaker per se stands behind it with 200K miles warranty on AT.

Back