When it Rains, it Pours

I have a 2020 Mazda CX-9, and besides it having suspension problems at 4K miles I have another issue. After it rains, when I open the hatch the water pours down onto the area where the back lights are and splashes on me and in the trunk area. Do other owners find this a problem as well? Does anyone know of a remedy for this? Thanks!

I too have experienced the water drainage that can happen when opening the back hatch under certain circumstances; not sure this is unique to CX-9 or Mazda.

I'm more curious about the suspension issues you're having on a brand new vehicle. What's up with that?

I too have experienced the water drainage that can happen when opening the back hatch under certain circumstances; not sure this is unique to CX-9 or Mazda.

I'm more curious about the suspension issues you're having on a brand new vehicle. What's up with that?
Hello,
I had a 2016 CX-5 and there was never a problem with the rain water pouring down from the hatch, so I'm guessing it is unique to the CX-9.

As far as the suspension problem, they are telling me it is a bad strut, but I am suspicious that it could be more than that. I suspect when they found the bad strut (it is quite obvious by the noise) that they stopped looking. If the part ever comes in and they fix it, I will have to see if the problem completely goes away. Right now it seems like it is also coming from the middle front, so it could be other suspension parts as well.

This is not what I expected, since I have had three other Mazdas without any issues at all. Very disappointing that I am having a big problem so soon. I will update my post after the strut it fixed, but who knows when that will be since they don't have any idea when the part will arrive!

I have a 2020 Mazda CX-9, and besides it having suspension problems at 4K miles I have another issue. After it rains, when I open the hatch the water pours down onto the area where the back lights are and splashes on me and in the trunk area. Do other owners find this a problem as well? Does anyone know of a remedy for this? Thanks!

The water pours down from the inner tail lights, or the LED 3rd brake light in the "spoiler"?

How long after a rainfall can you replicate the issue? Is it only immediately after a rainfall, or does it still happen after 3-4 hours?

I've had a few drops drip down onto the outer tail lamps when I open the hatch after pressure washing the car. It's never enough to warrant a problem IMO, but again it's just a few drops and it's because I have just finished pressure washing the car.

I would take a video so you can show it to the dealer when they replace your strut. You can also post it here if you'd like.

We are getting rain today, so I will take a video tomorrow and post it. That is a very good idea about showing the video to the dealer. I will do that. Thanks!

Sorry about the delay in posting a video of the rain pouring out of my hatch. The past two times it rained it didn't do it. I will try again after a heavy rain.

Latest posts

Back