Wheel, Tire Anecdote

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
(No offense taken if moderator removes for not being pertinent). Around Christmas time in this neck of the woods (Colombia) the power among the population, needing extra money for partying come up with strategies for separating people from their money. One day before Christmas I was driving through a heavily trafficked traffic circle when a guy on the side of the road yelled "the tire, the tire". Odd I thought then fifty meters further another guy yelled out the same thing so I pulled over and he said the passenger side front wheel was loose. Surprised me as I'd felt nothing unusual in the steering. Then he said but no problem there's a repair shop right down there just a half a block away and they can tighten it for you. I thanked him and then thought to myself well the Mazda dealer is also close by so I'll just drive over there. So I drove at a snail's pace still wondering why I felt nothing a miss. At the Mazda dealer I told them please check out that wheel as someone told me it was loose. A little while later they said everything checks out your wheel is fine. The person on the street attempted the "paquete chileño" on you (the Chillian package ). We've had customers that have fallen for it. You drive to the shop they indicate and there they dismantle your axel then charge you (equivalent of) three hundred dollars to reassemble it for you. Good thing you came to us. Of course it is always the passenger side front wheel because that is the one you can't see in the rearview mirrors or by poking your head out the window. I guess the Chilleans have a reputation here of being tricky, hence the name.

People sure do seem to be getting more creative with scams these days.

I was fueling up my car at gas station when I saw the vehicle at the next pump had a flat tire. I shouted to the lady driver, "Excuse me, I think you got a flat tire."
She said, "Mind your own business !"

Not a happy day for me.

I was fueling up my car at gas station when I saw the vehicle at the next pump had a flat tire. I shouted to the lady driver, "Excuse me, I think you got a flat tire."
She said, "Mind your own business !"

Not a happy day for me.

Sheesh. Sometimes miserable, angry people react with anger and misery by default because it's all they know.

No good deed goes un punished

I've often tried to point out a low inflated tire and I get an evil scoul.

Just to put some positivity out there, I have received a few sincere "thank yous" when I've pointed out flat tires or burned out turn signals/tail lights. A couple of times I've even been able to help reinflate their tires with my portable air compressor.

When I was a little kid in the back of my mom's car, my brother and I thought it was real funny to point at other car's tires. Wave your arms to get the driver's attention, look at them wide eyed and point at a tire.
You'd be surprised at how many people pulled over.

I know, I know, we were little punks. 😇

Back