What's a good transmission oil to use for the Mazda5?

Mazda's OEM M5 oil is what's recommended. M5 is compatible with Mobil1 Full Synthetic fluid, which may be a little cheaper and easy to find.

ATF M-V is what you're looking for. :)

In an Automatic, use Mazda Type M5, and ONLY Mazda Type M5. Literally nothing else.

Saving $2/quart on supposed "compatible" atf is a false economy. Just get the stuff that's absolutely guaranteed to work. It's not worth risking a $2800 transmission to save $10.

If you have a manual, use Redline MT-90, which is about the only correct 75W-90 GL4 that I know of. The GL-4/GL-5 that most are will damage your synchronizers.

full-87837-42344-fnr5.png

From here:

Also check out this bottle of tranny fluid. It give you an idea of what's compatible with M-5. Don't fall for branding tricks.

Last edited:
Any suggestions on a good transmission oil to use for the Mazda5?
This has been discussed a lot previously. Use search. Here is one link: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...ence-on-the-mz5.123824925/page-2#post-6163622

I would suggest the valvoline maxlife - cheap at Walmart. I don't agree with the other poster about OEM, that is what has caused problems previously with our Mazda5, dealer had to replace the tranny under warranty. But it was the first generation tranny (2006). Been using after-market ever since with no issues - but it is not-life time as Mazda would have you believe.

There are 2 other Mazda ATF M-V / M5 (~$9/qt locally after dealership "discount") specific ATF oils in the market now:

Beck Arnley Premium M5 Part No 252-2005 $6.70/qt + shipping https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6304149&cc=1501076&pt=11387&jsn=14&jsn=14

Idemitsu ATF Type M $7.75/qt shipped : https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Mazda obvs doesn't produce it's own oil, Idemitsu is an an actual Japanese oil refinery, so I went with the Idemitsu which also happens to be the cheapest per quart delivered. There's no doubt in my mind Beck/Arnley is rebadging Idemitsu, but I'm not going to send any oil out for testing.

I had a hard time getting Mazda fluid locally. Luckily a dealer across the state. I ordered 9 quarts and will get to changing it soon.

I would suggest the valvoline maxlife - cheap at Walmart. I don't agree with the other poster about OEM, that is what has caused problems previously with our Mazda5, dealer had to replace the tranny under warranty. But it was the first generation tranny (2006). Been using after-market ever since with no issues - but it is not-life time as Mazda would have you believe.

Took me forever to figure out about these newfangled ATFs before settling on the Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle. Vehicle-specific info seems to be hard to come by - IIRC, even the "5" owner's manual conspicuously fails to tell you about fluids other than oil weight. For some reason the Multi-Vehicle fluid lists Mazda on the website, but not on the bottle. ::screwy::

Anyone noticed how much stinkier that stuff is compared to Type F or Dex/Merc? Pee-yoo.

Oops - I ordered fluid from a dealer across the state and they canceled my order. It seems a bit hard to get. I ordered the Idemitsu from ebay. I decided to try their oil as well and bought some.

I bet you have a local Ford dealer nearby. Drop by Parts and ask for FNR5 ATF (same thing as M-V). If they ask, you own a Focus of the same year.

I needed to get one more quart and I was lucky that NAPA carries Idemitsu. So I am all changed and golden now!

Took me forever to figure out about these newfangled ATFs before settling on the Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle. Vehicle-specific info seems to be hard to come by - IIRC, even the "5" owner's manual conspicuously fails to tell you about fluids other than oil weight. For some reason the Multi-Vehicle fluid lists Mazda on the website, but not on the bottle. ::screwy::

Anyone noticed how much stinkier that stuff is compared to Type F or Dex/Merc? Pee-yoo.
#1 reason to NOT use Valv max-life. It stinks so badly. The kids hate sitting in cars with MaxLife. I've flushed 10 qts of another flavor of ATF in a non-Maz and it STILL smells.

Of note, the weight of the ATF is irrelevant, the blend of additives based on the actual transmission is more important. "Type M" is what you need, not MaxLife.

I just did the flush for my 2015 M5 sport and replaced the transmission oil pan (it rotted out) with 75k miles on it using Idemitsu ATF M5 two days ago. The automatic shifting is noticeably smoother after that.

That is weird that your pan rusted out. Do they salt a lot there? My new 2006 wasn’t super well cared for as far as cleaning and mud removal underneath but the pan looks solid

That is weird that your pan rusted out. Do they salt a lot there? My new 2006 wasn’t super well cared for as far as cleaning and mud removal underneath but the pan looks solid
Yeah I had a 2010 Mazda 5 with more mileage (100k) without the rusty transmission pan but the 75k-mile 2015 Mazda 5 has a rotten pan so I don't know how to make sense of it. Both vehicles spent their entire lives in the New England are so there are road salt. Maybe they cut corners in the later model year?

#1 reason to NOT use Valv max-life. It stinks so badly. The kids hate sitting in cars with MaxLife. I've flushed 10 qts of another flavor of ATF in a non-Maz and it STILL smells.

Of note, the weight of the ATF is irrelevant, the blend of additives based on the actual transmission is more important. "Type M" is what you need, not MaxLife.

Interesting info. MaxLife was the ONLY fluid I could feel reasonably certain was appropriate for this vehicle, based on information I could find at the time. Truth be told, aside from the smell, I'm not sure it's performing quite right.

Not doubting your info in the least, but where does Mazda itself supply info about ATF type?

Back