What's a good transmission oil to use for the Mazda5?

Okay, I'll have to look again. I flipped through the whole thing and found absolutely nothing about ATF ..... oh, interesting. Here on page 10-4 it says "Genuine Mazda ATF M-V."

Even says "outstanding anti-shudder performance." That sounds pretty good.

Maybe I'm just too stupid to own anything much newer than 1980? ::screwy::

Interesting info. MaxLife was the ONLY fluid I could feel reasonably certain was appropriate for this vehicle, based on information I could find at the time. Truth be told, aside from the smell, I'm not sure it's performing quite right.

Not doubting your info in the least, but where does Mazda itself supply info about ATF type?

Here's a link to Mazda dealership showing correct "part #" to the Mazda ATF Type M-V that's meant for our auto trannys: Mazda Automatic Transmission Fluid [ATF M-V (Type M5)]

From that you can conclude idemitsu type M is correct, whereas MaxLife is not "quite" right: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

TBH, when I first got the car I drained and filled 1 jug of MaxLife (which I had left from other cars), then drained filled another ~ 8 qts of Type M just cause I was SO afraid of the smell, lol.

For our stick-shift Mazda5, I was always very pleased with RedLine's MT-90.
Hey there. Do you happen to know the size of the crush washers for the drain and fill lugs? Or the torque specs? I posted my own question but so far nobody knows...thanks.

Hey there. Do you happen to know the size of the crush washers for the drain and fill lugs? Or the torque specs? I posted my own question but so far nobody knows...thanks.
I had the same question. I have a several crush washers from my other cars. I wouldn't mind minimizing the spare parts I have to keep.

Last edited:
Back