What to expect from 2017 CX-5 Touring

Hello all. Great forum, happy to be a recent member. To get straight to the point...

After some extensive research on here and online in general. I'm pretty much sold on a Certified 2017 Cx-5 Touring. It looks like one can be had in my area for around 18k with roughly 40k miles on the clock.

My question comes down to overall reliability. It seems that 17 is the year to have. No CD, but all the sharp looks. I'm used to driving an 02 4runner. Absolutely bulletproof. But rudimentary. Just not brick wall proof 🙃 as I recently found out. I don't want to be at the dealership all the time..or in my driveway with the hood up. What can I expect to run into? I expect to keep the CX-5 until the 100k mark when it's payed off. Maybe longer. I've seen belt tensioners can be an issue and buggy tech. (Nav, music etc) Any other common issues? Or should it be relatively hassle free until 100k

I have a 2017 Touring that has been rock solid since new. The only issue was soon after purchasing, I noticed the left rear seatbelt was frayed/damaged. Dealer fixed it under warranty. I have had mice in the car but I park outside in a wooded area. If you haven't done it yet, I suggest you check your cabin filter. Mice like to hang out there. I believe my car will make it to 100K hassle free.

Should be hassle free for a long time. I have a 16 Touring and 19 GTR. The 16 was at the dealer for two recalls (minor). Gas tank filler tube and rear hatch dampers. Minor stuff. (I think they had to remove a screw from the filler tube.
Had the Touring since April 2015 and no problems at all. Have had no problems with the tech.
All I've done in the 6 years to the Touring has been oil changes and tire rotations every 5,000 miles.

The 17 doesn't have CD so you don't have to worry about that. Even if the tensioner does start leaking in the next 40,000 miles it's no big deal. Might even be covered under CPO warranty.

As long as the vehicle has been maintained and has a clear carfax you should be good to go.

As long as the vehicle has been maintained and has a clear carfax you should be good to go.

Carfax is really doing a great job selling people the idea that their service is a replacement for a proper inspection . Carfox is one tool and starting point.

and semi related

@7heorem the 2017 CX-5 Touring overall is a reliable vehicle. Like any used vehicle expect to run into abuse and neglect. Certified pre-owned is simply a fee a dealer pays to Mazda then ups the price on the vehicle to you. Certified pre-owned can get an extra set of eyes on it, but really it is just an insurance policy purchased by the dealer from Mazda. Certified pre-owned is no magical solution to a used vehicle purchase. Most times the dealer and Mazda wins because the mileage is so low and the coverage is NOT bumper to bumper. If you are shopping a vehicle and it is NOT certified pre-owned simply ask them to make it one. Most often then not, the dealer will be happy to make a vehicle certified pre-owned to make the sale. Don't fall for "oh only so many cars can be certified.." or "I can ask my manager if we can do that.. but it's gonna cost $2000 to do it..."

some random person said it was reliable:

I had a 2017 Grand Touring. It was a very reliable and great vehicle! I ended up trading it for a 19' GTR, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Carfax is really doing a great job selling people the idea that their service is a replacement for a proper inspection . Carfox is one tool and starting point.

and semi related

@7heorem the 2017 CX-5 Touring overall is a reliable vehicle. Like any used vehicle expect to run into abuse and neglect. Certified pre-owned is simply a fee a dealer pays to Mazda then ups the price on the vehicle to you. Certified pre-owned can get an extra set of eyes on it, but really it is just an insurance policy purchased by the dealer from Mazda. Certified pre-owned is no magical solution to a used vehicle purchase. Most times the dealer and Mazda wins because the mileage is so low and the coverage is NOT bumper to bumper. If you are shopping a vehicle and it is NOT certified pre-owned simply ask them to make it one. Most often then not, the dealer will be happy to make a vehicle certified pre-owned to make the sale. Don't fall for "oh only so many cars can be certified.." or "I can ask my manager if we can do that.. but it's gonna cost $2000 to do it..."

some random person said it was reliable:
Carfax is just one of the tools a buyer should use. It will report most service if performed at the dealer and any accidents. Service records are another. Having a competent mechanic check it out is the final thing.

If I was to buy an used vehicle, I would pay the price to pull CarFax myself. ($30 for one).
It is not sufficient, but necessary. Don't trust the one offered by seller.

I was looking at an used Sports car once. Carfax showed that it was lemoned twice. No wonder the low price offered for sale. I tracked down the previous owner (one of the two) by VIN thru google. He told me what were the problems he ran into....

That said, my wife's '17 CX5 GT has been rock solid since new as well.
Only minor issue is creaking noise in driver seat when I drive it.
My wife has no issue with that, though. :)

I guess you can say getting tires can be a hassle.

How are the tires? Maybe they have already been replaced.

OEM tires are a complaint you hear about after several years. There are a number of threads about them.

When the battery starts to go you might get weird symptoms from various components. A lot of the time the car has about 40k on it.

Last edited:
If I was to buy an used vehicle, I would pay the price to pull CarFax myself. ($30 for one).
It is not sufficient, but necessary. Don't trust the one offered by seller.

I was looking at an used Sports car once. Carfax showed that it was lemoned twice. No wonder the low price offered for sale. I tracked down the previous owner (one of the two) by VIN thru google. He told me what were the problems he ran into....

That said, my wife's '17 CX5 GT has been rock solid since new as well.
Only minor issue is creaking noise in driver seat when I drive it.
My wife has no issue with that, though. :)
That's funny that you bring up the creaking noise. I had the same thing in my 16 Touring. For about two years the passenger seat would creak when my wife sat in it. I even had the dealer take a look at it, test drove it with the service mgr. It didn't make a peep. Switched and I sat in the seat, not a sound. I kinda just felt like I was gonna have to live with it. One day I decided I was going to remove the seat and see if there was anything loose. As I started to remove the seat I noticed a thin CD case wedged down between the seat. Apparently my wife weighed the right amount to cause the CD case to squeak against the seat frame. Not enough weight or too much and no noise.

Morale of the story, check between the seat for something stuck in there. It's like a black hole down there. I've dropped things between the seat and the center console and the item just seems to disappear.

Hello all. Great forum, happy to be a recent member. To get straight to the point...

After some extensive research on here and online in general. I'm pretty much sold on a Certified 2017 Cx-5 Touring. It looks like one can be had in my area for around 18k with roughly 40k miles on the clock.

My question comes down to overall reliability. It seems that 17 is the year to have. No CD, but all the sharp looks. I'm used to driving an 02 4runner. Absolutely bulletproof. But rudimentary. Just not brick wall proof 🙃 as I recently found out. I don't want to be at the dealership all the time..or in my driveway with the hood up. What can I expect to run into? I expect to keep the CX-5 until the 100k mark when it's payed off. Maybe longer. I've seen belt tensioners can be an issue and buggy tech. (Nav, music etc) Any other common issues? Or should it be relatively hassle free until 100k
If you’re looking for most reliable CX-5, 2016.5 MY is the one you want. The reason is most problems on gen-1 CX-5 have been fixed with revised and improved parts.

Although it has no cylinder deactivation which would avoid many possible CD issues with many TSBs、SAs、and recall, the 2017 CX-5 still suffers usual first-year glitches on newly designed components for gen-2 CX-5 such as front suspension and engine mounts. Here are several TSBs specifically towards 2017 and 2018 CX-5’s for early productions on gen-2 CX-5:

TSB No.: 02-002/18 KNOCKING / SQUEAKING NOISE FROM FRONT SHOCK ABSORBER, CREAKING NOISE FROM FRONT LOWER ARM BUSHING

TSB No.: 02-012/18 CLUNKING NOISE FROM FRONT SUSPENSION WHEN DRIVING OVER BUMPS

TSB No.: 01-022/18 BODY VIBRATION WHEN ENGINE STARTED AFTER PARKING IN EXTREMELY COLD TEMPERATURES

TSB No.: 04-002/19 BRAKE NOISE, JUDDER AND DRAGGING DIAGNOSIS AND SERVICING

Also, make sure to check belt tensioner which is the most common issue on CX-5. Most tensioners would fail within 50K miles unless you choose not to inspect it. Timing chain cover leak is less common but it’s difficult and expensive to fix unless you have warranty. Both have associated TSBs for them:

2018 CX-5 Oil Leak? Is this TSB for Tensioner?

Lastly, make sure to actually seat on the driver seat and feel it as there’re many more complaints on gen-2 CX-5 than gen-1 CX-5 on seat comfort.

Back