What other cars did you look at before getting your CX-5?

rhojos14

:
2017 CX-5
Just curious what others considered. Got mine in 2017 just for model year reference. For me it was:
- RAV4 SE (underpowered to be "sporty", interior felt cramped, just couldn't see myself driving it long)
- CR-V (I know it's a mom car but it's a great car)
- GTI (always wanted one but wanted something a bit bigger/taller)
- Used 2013-2014 RDX (nice but hard to find in my price range w/ low miles)
- Subie Outback
- Hyundai Tucson (Not bad but I drove the CX-5 right after and the Tucson felt cheap after that)
- 2016.5 CX-5
- Used Q5, X3, etc but maintenance costs would've been too much
- Ford Escape/Edge/Explorer/F-150
- Used Volvo XC-70 (Im a big wagon fan but didnt care for the interior. And pricey for me)

Bit of a disclaimer, I only tested the RDX, Tucson, and RAV4. I had driven previous gens of the GTI and CR-V, as well as the new Outback. Was planning on testing the others but after I drove the CX-5 I knew it was the one and didn't even bother with the others. I also tested the 2016.5 CX-5 back-to-back with the 2017 and really liked that too but after talking with the dealer it was only going to be ~$2K more for the 2017 so I was like (cabpatch)

Last edited:
This is from six years ago before I bought my 2013 in October of 2012, but in order of preference:
1. Subaru Impreza
2. Ford Focus
3. Mazda 3
4. Subaru Forester
5. Ford Escape
Obviously, what I really wanted was a 5 door hatch, but ended up with the CX-5 which had more room. Next year I'll be in the market again and am waiting to see what the new 3 will be like. I still like the Impreza, but it desperately needs 50 more horsepower and the Focus is no more, thanks to Ford's decision to abandon the passenger car market in the US and, more recently, Trump's tariffs, which will keep the last surviving Focus model (made in China) out of the US. Anyway, no more crossovers for me. The CX-5 was the best of the lot, but I still ended up lowering it and sacrificing ride quality to make it look and handle a little better. Don't want to do that again!

For us, it was really only a 2017 Subaru Forester XT. We actually had a deal penciled in on one but my wife wanted to drive a CX5 before we pulled the trigger. The only issue she had with the Subie was the flat front seats. The test drive of the CX5 revealed a MUCH better interior than the Subie. We sacrificed the power of the XT and bought the CX5. We really wanted to like the CRV, but my wife absolutely hated the way it drove. It is a vary spacious vehicle but the driving dynamics just weren't there for us.

Nissan Rogue - rejected.
Tucson with the 165 hp engine to avoid the dual clutch that had failures in 2016 - seemed nice but did not enjoy the dealer experience.
CX5 - test drive was small and in a crowded area. Dealer arranged for me to take home. I was sold on it completely.

Fallback was Rav4. Non offensive unlike the CRV and would last 150K miles easy. I am thinking if I take care of my CX5 and do an ATF drain once and intake cleanup once in 120K mile - it should last 150-200k miles.

I put a total of 30K miles on my cars in a year combined - i got a CPO Camry but its been underwhelming. I love the 6 but its pricey for what it is. This time around I might take a chance on a Buick or Volvo for better NVH. No way the new 2018 Mazda6 will be in my target price by 2019 or 2020.

Last edited:
My CX-5 was bought in late 2013 -it is a 2014 GT model. I had a CRV and had looked at the new CRV, the Rogue, RAV4, Forrester and Outback. And an Audi A3 wagon that was a blast. I was actually going to buy the CRV just because outside of the A3, all those other cars drove the same (for the most part) and the devil you know is sometimes the best choice. Wife convinced me to try the Mazda. Originally was even looking at the Mazda 3 but it could not hold my bike. One drive in the CX-5 and I was sold. Very different drive when compared to the other CUVs.

Copper color Hyundai Santa FE Sport 2.0T. It felt to tall, very heavy and did not really feel those Hps.
I did not even look at other cars.
I was only eying these two. Did my homework online, so I did not have to waste my time, at the dealerships.

In late 2016:

2016 Subaru Crosstrek: too sloooow @ 148 HP.

2017 Honda CRV: I didn't even mind the tranny I just... meh... it was OK. But I just couldn't wrap my head around buying a Honda. I dislike the mainstream. That really was a big part of why I didn't seriously consider it. I cannot be a sheep... I cannot buy the most popular... anything. Never owned a Samsung phone. Hate the Patriots. lol I like NOT seeing my car everywhere I go. On top of that I just don't think it's remotely attractive. Screams "soccer mom" to me. Drove the Mazda after this and immediately crossed it off my list.

2016 Jeep Cherokee: the serious contender. It's a nice CUV but just a few shortcomings I didn't like and the Mazda was, and still is, just damn sexier. I am shallow and superficial. Seriously. The #1 and #2 reasons I got the Mazda: 1) better looking 2) more responsive then any other car I drove i.e. more fun to drive.

We bought the 2017 CX-5 GT AWD.

We did consider the:
2016.5 CX-5 (dealer gave good price, but we wanted the 2nd gen's NVH and design)
Forester XT (had a Subie before, good power and AWD, $5K more similarly equipped)
CRV (best on paper but ugly, too common, and didn't feel any connection with the car)

The CX-5 had the best styling by far inside and out, refined/quiet ride, and great driving feel and response. I drive 20+hours a week so it's really my 2nd living room -- aside from getting us safely from A to B, it needs to bring some joy.

This was in April 2013, so keep in mind the cars were different then their current incarnations.

2013 RAV4 - Sooo boring to drive. Quintessential definition of driving a floating boat. Felt no connection to the road, and was not overly impressed by the styling. Immediately off the list.

2013 Honda CR-V - What can I say. I hated everything about this car. The CVT transmission I did not like at all. The interior styling felt like "grandma's car". The driving dynamics sucked majorly. Immediately off the list.

2013 Nissan Rogue - Mostly down to the interior sucking and the CVT really not being something I liked at all. Immediately off the list.

2013 Kia Sportage - Styling wise I thought it looked "odd". When I got in, was not a fan of the infotainment system, and the acceleration when I test drove it onto a highway immediately put it off my list.

Growing up with Jeeps, they were never on my list. Sure there are some "nice" ones and some that look cool, but they just suck when push comes to shove and they are money pits plain and simple.

Subaru was never on my list as I have a major dislike of Subaru (Outback, Forrester, Crosstrek) drivers here in Colorado. They tend to be the ones you find driving 10 under, camping in the passing lane, and overall ******* up traffic. My Mom bought a Crosstrek in 2015. I tried it and it was so god awfully slow. Glad I never bothered to look at them. Plus their interiors suck majorly.

Hyundai was on the list to check out the Tucson. Never got around to it and glad I didn't as they don't look that great, and the interiors look like a bunch of cheap hard plastic.

Ford was not on my list.

Never even heard of the CX-5 till my Mom mentioned Mazda and I went to check it out. 2014's had just recently arrived with the upgraded 2.5L engine. I immediately loved the styling of the CX-5. The interior was perfect for my tastes as I don't like "busy" and I don't like lots of cheap hard plastic. Upon driving it, I was impressed compared to everything else I drove. While I did not buy that day, I immediately knew I was buying the CX-5.

1. Honda CR-V
2. Volkswagen Tiguan
3. Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
4. Subaru Forester

Reasons we went with the Mazda instead (ours is a 2016, bought July 2018)-

1. It was far better equipped than the others in the same price range.
2. No CVT.
3. It's not a first year model.
4. Still under factory warranty plus CPO warranty.
5. IIHS Top Safety Pick Plus.
6. It was the best looking by far.

This was in April 2013, so keep in mind the cars were different then their current incarnations.

2013 RAV4 - Sooo boring to drive. Quintessential definition of driving a floating boat. Felt no connection to the road, and was not overly impressed by the styling. Immediately off the list.

2013 Honda CR-V - What can I say. I hated everything about this car. The CVT transmission I did not like at all. The interior styling felt like "grandma's car". The driving dynamics sucked majorly. Immediately off the list.

2013 Nissan Rogue - Mostly down to the interior sucking and the CVT really not being something I liked at all. Immediately off the list.

2013 Kia Sportage - Styling wise I thought it looked "odd". When I got in, was not a fan of the infotainment system, and the acceleration when I test drove it onto a highway immediately put it off my list.

Growing up with Jeeps, they were never on my list. Sure there are some "nice" ones and some that look cool, but they just suck when push comes to shove and they are money pits plain and simple.

Subaru was never on my list as I have a major dislike of Subaru (Outback, Forrester, Crosstrek) drivers here in Colorado. They tend to be the ones you find driving 10 under, camping in the passing lane, and overall ******* up traffic. My Mom bought a Crosstrek in 2015. I tried it and it was so god awfully slow. Glad I never bothered to look at them. Plus their interiors suck majorly.

Hyundai was on the list to check out the Tucson. Never got around to it and glad I didn't as they don't look that great, and the interiors look like a bunch of cheap hard plastic.

Never even heard of the CX-5 till my Mom mentioned Mazda and I went to check it out. 2014's had just recently arrived with the upgraded 2.5L engine. I immediately loved the styling of the CX-5. The interior was perfect for my tastes as I don't like "busy" and I don't like lots of cheap hard plastic. Upon driving it, I was impressed compared to everything else I drove. While I did not buy that day, I immediately knew I was buying the CX-5.
Soon after getting my 2013 I came out of Home Depot to find a Tucson of the same year parked right next to it. I was astonished at how similar they were in size, design, ride height, you name it. If I wasn't familiar with the two, I would have had a hard time distinguishing which was which from 100 feet!

Last edited:
After coming from a c class Mercedes, I looked at a Honda crv. I wasnt impressed. Next car I drove was a Cx5. I fell in love. Ive driven so many cars in my life I feel like I didnt even need to try any others. I instantly fell in love. Ive had cx5s for over 2 years and Im so happy I own them they are the best CUVs in the class hands down.

Last edited:
Just curious what others considered. Got mine in 2017 just for model year reference. For me it was:
- RAV4 SE (underpowered to be "sporty", interior felt cramped, just couldn't see myself driving it long)
- CR-V (I know it's a mom car but it's a great car)
- GTI (always wanted one but wanted something a bit bigger/taller)
- Used 2013-2014 RDX (nice but hard to find in my price range w/ low miles)
- Subie Outback
- Hyundai Tucson (Not bad but I drove the CX-5 right after and the Tucson felt cheap after that)
- 2016.5 CX-5
- Used Q5, X3, etc but maintenance costs would've been too much
- Ford Escape/Edge/Explorer/F-150
- Used Volvo XC-70 (I*m a big wagon fan but didn*t care for the interior. And pricey for me)

Bit of a disclaimer, I only tested the RDX, Tucson, and RAV4. I had driven previous gens of the GTI and CR-V, as well as the new Outback. Was planning on testing the others but after I drove the CX-5 I knew it was the one and didn't even bother with the others. I also tested the 2016.5 CX-5 back-to-back with the 2017 and really liked that too but after talking with the dealer it was only going to be ~$2K more for the 2017 so I was like (cabpatch)

Domestics mostly, the CRV in 2015 was a pud, as was the RAV4. I considered the Highlander, but didn't find one that fit my needs at the time. Basically it was the only vehicle the local dealers had that met my spec. "NAV, 4 door, AWD, SUV, Consumer Reports full "red donut" on reliability, under $25K" was what I typed into Autotrader (all except the CR part, which I researched myself). The CX5 is what it found. Got me a nice used one in 2015, of same year. Paid KBB PP retail and got KBB PP retail in trade for my Jeep. That made the deal a no-brainer.

Ford was not on my list.

Pretty similar list/findings- didn't even consider the Rogue..but I did consider the X1 (but had a 128 at the time) and came probably closest to throwing out the value equation for the GLK250 bluetec- pretty much on love for the motor and its 369lb-ft alone but they bid me pretty hard on my 100k mile 07 CR-V (didn't want to be bothered selling it myself) and wouldn't budge much off MSRP so I moved on. Saw a sweet deal on a Santa Fe sport almost pulled it but I was saved by a Mazda dealer next door and saying let me give that CX-5 (the driver's cheap SUV:)) one more shot..I was initially turned off by the anemic 2L on the 13 and only a short drive in the 2.5 but it was in a touring I think and I hated the cloth seats (seemed to really pinch my shoulders- just didn't fit me)..well this one was a GT and I was given a proper test drive on a mix of highway and nice windy roads and that was all it took. I'm over 5 years now and about 86k on it and it ain't for sale!

XT made the list but the CVT and lack of any sportiness/tuning what so ever outside of turbo killed it for me quickly.

Last edited:
CPO Audi Q5 - was going to get a great deal on one, but we were more focused on leasing for now and I didn't want any maintenance expenses

VW Tiguan - looked good spec wise, but more $$ and the SWB version looked wayyy better

CRV - had the best interior room but not much more after that lol

Santa fe - pretty good deal for the price. Dealers are giving these away. CX drives a lot better though

In the end, the CX5 won out as a complete package. The price and dealer experience was great too.

I had a succession of RAV4s up until my 16 CX-5. I looked at Audi Q3 but by the time Id added extras to stop it being a shoe box it was 45k. I looked at Tiguan but my mate has so much trouble with his it put me off. BMW X series - the 1 is odd looking and the 3 is the same as the Audi. German cars look the part but Im not at all impressed with reliability given the price. Where next? I think if the U.K. CX-5 is still diesel only next time I might end up in a Lexus but Ill cross that bridge later.

Pretty similar list/findings- didn't even consider the Rogue..but I did consider the X1 (but had a 128 at the time) and came probably closest to throwing out the value equation for the GLK250 bluetec- pretty much on love for the motor and its 369lb-ft alone but they bid me pretty hard on my 100k mile 07 CR-V (didn't want to be bothered selling it myself) and wouldn't budge much off MSRP so I moved on. Saw a sweet deal on a Santa Fe sport almost pulled it but I was saved by a Mazda dealer next door and saying let me give that CX-5 (the driver's cheap SUV:)) one more shot..I was initially turned off by the anemic 2L on the 13 and only a short drive in the 2.5 but it was in a touring I think and I hated the cloth seats (seemed to really pinch my shoulders- just didn't fit me)..well this one was a GT and I was given a proper test drive on a mix of highway and nice windy roads and that was all it took. I'm over 5 years now and about 86k on it and it ain't for sale!

XT made the list but the CVT and lack of any sportiness/tuning what so ever outside of turbo killed it for me quickly.
Right on Monty! 5 1/2 years, 72k miles so far on mine and it certainly is not for sale anytime soon.

Didn't look at any other cars but the CX-5 as I believe it's the best compact CUV at the time. It featured SkyActiv Technology with high-compression naturally aspirated engine and step-shift automatic transmission which are all I wanted instead of turbo and CVT. I didn't even test-drive the CX-5 and special-ordered an exact one we wanted. It took 23 days to arrive with 2.3 miles on odometer.

Used to be only interested in German cars such as VW and BMW's. But it's getting old trying to fix many problems when I no longer have that much energy. Although our 1998 Honda CR-V is a such reliable vehicle and we should go for another one, but Honda's recent technology direction*reliability issues and boring design made me decide to get our first Mazda.

Now we have a new need for an additional vehicle. We originally planned to get a 2018 CX-5 but the new cylinder deactivation feature stopped me. We'll wait for 2019 Toyota RAV4 with 203~207 hp naturally aspirated 2.5L as well as 8-speed lock-up-clutch-in-every-gear automatic transmission. It should also offer the best MPG among all non-hybrid compact CUVs with the industry-best 40~41 thermal efficiency engine and proven significant real-world fuel efficiency improvement by 2018 Toyota Camry with the same setup.

Last edited:
I didn't look at anything else. I had a 2011 Rav4 at the time and I hated it, I was spending at least $1000 every year on repairs, not including maintenance, tires, etc...

I've been working for a Mazda dealer for just about 7 years and as soon as I saw the 2017 CX-5 I knew it was my next ride. I got to drive them frequently when they came out and knew I had to have one. I just left the parts department one afternoon to see our finance manager and said "I want to trade in my Rav4 on a CX-5 GS with AWD". She came back to me a little while later with some numbers and the deal was done.

Back