What is this device mounted behind the rear view mirror?

I recently purchased a 2018 CX-5 and found this device mounted behind the rear view mirror. Can anyone tell me what this is and what its function is? Thank you!

Attachments

• CFB006F6-0330-48B3-A417-57F4B93E24AC.jpeg
    CFB006F6-0330-48B3-A417-57F4B93E24AC.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 424
Doesnt seem like oem part. The only oem parts/sensors on 2018 are inside the big black plastic box behind the mirror.

May be a gps antenna addon?

Upvote 0
Can you add on the rain sensor if purchased separately? I have a 18 GT.
You should already have this feature installed. It came installed on my GT. That said, I don't like the rain sensor (too sensitive, even turned all the way down) and I disabled it.

Upvote 0
I recently purchased a 2018 CX-5 and found this device mounted behind the rear view mirror. Can anyone tell me what this is and what its function is? Thank you!
In my 2020, that "box" contains the Forward Sensing Camera, though mine is shaped differently and has the standard rearview mirror attached. From the 2020 manual, page 4-122:

"The Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) detects lane indications and recognizes headlights,
taillights and city lights during nighttime driving. In addition, it also detects the vehicle
ahead, pedestrians, or obstructions. The following systems also use the Forward Sensing
Camera (FSC).

 High Beam Control system (HBC)
 Lane-keep Assist System (LAS) & Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS)
 Traffic Sign Recognition System (TSR)
 Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go function (MRCC with Stop & Go function)
 Advanced Smart City Brake Support (Advanced SCBS)
 Smart City Brake Support (SCBS)
 Smart Brake Support (SBS)

The Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) is installed at the top of the windshield near the
rearview mirror."

Some 2018 trims have some of those features. If you have any of them that would be your answer.

In the 2020, there is evidently a separate light sensor for the rain sensing wipers and the auto on/off light control. It has two triangular cutouts in the black pixilated windshield film when viewed from outside. I'd guess the large one is for the camera and the small one for the sensor.

If you have none of these features I suppose the box could be a dead man, just a standard part of the windshield with no innards.

Upvote 0
In my 2020, that "box" contains the Forward Sensing Camera, though mine is shaped differently and has the standard rearview mirror attached. From the 2020 manual, page 4-122:

"The Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) detects lane indications and recognizes headlights,
taillights and city lights during nighttime driving. In addition, it also detects the vehicle
ahead, pedestrians, or obstructions. The following systems also use the Forward Sensing
Camera (FSC).

 High Beam Control system (HBC)
 Lane-keep Assist System (LAS) & Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS)
 Traffic Sign Recognition System (TSR)
 Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go function (MRCC with Stop & Go function)
 Advanced Smart City Brake Support (Advanced SCBS)
 Smart City Brake Support (SCBS)
 Smart Brake Support (SBS)

The Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) is installed at the top of the windshield near the
rearview mirror."

Some 2018 trims have some of those features. If you have any of them that would be your answer.

In the 2020, there is evidently a separate light sensor for the rain sensing wipers and the auto on/off light control. It has two triangular cutouts in the black pixilated windshield film when viewed from outside. I'd guess the large one is for the camera and the small one for the sensor.

If you have none of these features I suppose the box could be a dead man, just a standard part of the windshield with no innards.
Thank you for the detailed response. Here in Mexico, Mazda has treated this market as a dumping ground for old technology. In 2017, when Gen 2 was introduced worldwide, Mazda delivered Gen 1 vehicles. The 2018 model year was the first for the new body design, but they still shipped the 2.0 L engine on everything except an sGT trim. Even this highest trim level did not include a power cargo door, memory driver seat, power passenger seat, adaptive cruise control or any other technology advancements that were included in top trim levels in the US.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the detailed response. Here in Mexico, Mazda has treated this market as a dumping ground for old technology. In 2017, when Gen 2 was introduced worldwide, Mazda delivered Gen 1 vehicles. The 2018 model year was the first for the new body design, but they still shipped the 2.0 L engine on everything except an sGT trim. Even this highest trim level did not include a power cargo door, memory driver seat, power passenger seat, adaptive cruise control or any other technology advancements that were included in top trim levels in the US.
Well, Mexico is a smaller and less affluent market, with older tech being cheaper, more affordable tech. Now. if you're telling me they were charging the same in pesos as the $ equivalent for that older tech, that would be BS.

So, what did you figure out? Camera or dead man?

Upvote 0
Mexico is not a third world country in spite of what Americans have been led to believe. I haven’t done a price comparison between the two markets, but generally speaking anything that’s imported here is not cheap.
Mazda may not be alone, but they most certainly have been dumping old product here.

Upvote 0
Mexico is not a third world country in spite of what Americans have been led to believe. I haven’t done a price comparison between the two markets, but generally speaking anything that’s imported here is not cheap.
Mazda may not be alone, but they most certainly have been dumping old product here.
I certainly wouldn't compare Mexico to some African backwater. What I said--smaller, less affluent market than the US--is irrefutable by whatever economic measures you choose to use. It's not an insult, just a reality. There are areas of Mexico city indistinguishable from major US cities and European capitals from my experience in doing business there in a prior life. That's not the country as a whole you must admit.

Upvote 0
Back