What have you done to your CX-9 today?

Just a heads up, this stuff from chemical guys is perfect for the piano black exterior window trim. I buff by hand but using a machine will get like 90% of swirl marks out and it protects like a coat of a wax.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I use plexus for interior trim and will switch between washes on the exterior trim. This stuff does a good job at hiding swirls as well and I highly recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
I'll check that second one out. I have a black polish already that I love and I'm going to try it out now on the piano stuff. I need one of those mini buffer attachments so I can do my shifter surround too.

Did the front brakes on my 2018 touring. Rears another day. Raybestos Element3 pads and rotors. Paid $250 shipped for all 4 corners from Rockauto. Supposed to be bite better than ceramics. Sil-Glyde on the slide bolts and Permatex ceramic grease on the shims/ears. Brake torque specs: slide bolts 65 ft-lb, caliper bracket 75 ft-lb.

In case anyone is wondering, the Quickjack BL-5000SLX barely fits the CX9. It works but took some tinkering to line everything up. Ideally you want the extended model (5000EXT i think?) or the add-on extensions for the 5000SLX. I use it for my Corvette so figured I would try it on the Mazda.

mazda cx9 on quickjack.jpg

mazda cx9 raybestos brakes EHT3.jpg

Attachments

• FRONT BRAKE DISC PAD REMOVAL INSTALLATION [WITH 2-PISTON.pdf
    242.1 KB · Views: 221
  • FRONT BRAKE DISC REMOVAL INSTALLATION [WITH 2-PISTON FLOATING.pdf
    262.2 KB · Views: 147
Hi guys,

New dude here. Just wanted to say that everyone’s CX9 looks great. It’s nice to see a community of CX9 owners. I came from mustangs so having a 3 row is something new to me. The sports car community is very involved so it’s nice to see that people come together for their CX9s too. I purchased my 2019 signature on December of 2019. I wanted to wait and see what the 2020 models were like and when I saw that Mazda dropped the auburn Napa leather color, I went for the 2019. Anyway, here’s a pic of mine when my family and I went on a trip to the snow. Lake Tahoe California to be specific.

I wish there was more aftermarket support for the CX9. I understand it’s a family SUV but it would be nice to do something, anything. I spoke to corksport about lowering springs and they said that if there were inquiries about it and if there was interest, they’d consider making them. It would be a better alternative to coilovers since those are over $1k.

Only thing I have done to mine is front window tint, front and rear wheel spacers, front and rear mud guards, yellow fog light vinyl overlays, Draw-tite 2” hitch, K&N drop in air filter and corksports boost tube. I held off on the purchase of the boost tube because I thought, “what would a tube do?” Then one day it turned up on eBay for like $30 cheaper so I just purchased it. Not really sure it makes a difference.

Anyway, I love the CX9. Such a great vehicle to drive.

1A4381FC-F15B-4AD6-938A-F6D0BFA8BDC1.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi guys,

New dude here.

I wish there was more aftermarket support for the CX9.

Welcome!
You won't find much on the aftermarket section with most mazdas but when you do, it feels like someone cares about your car also. Your boost tube is really just to assist with throttle response, which some people find lacking. Some of us have the CS intake which does just enough to help on the higher end of the powerband to make me happy.

It is a three row family SUV so you won't be throwing it around like your mustang you had, but on that same note, driving the cx9 at the edge is probably a ton more fun simply because it is a three row family suv.

Throw some lighter wheels with stickier tires for the warmer months and that'll help with some of the jobs of driving too.

Welcome!
You won't find much on the aftermarket section with most mazdas but when you do, it feels like someone cares about your car also. Your boost tube is really just to assist with throttle response, which some people find lacking. Some of us have the CS intake which does just enough to help on the higher end of the powerband to make me happy.

It is a three row family SUV so you won't be throwing it around like your mustang you had, but on that same note, driving the cx9 at the edge is probably a ton more fun simply because it is a three row family suv.

Throw some lighter wheels with stickier tires for the warmer months and that'll help with some of the jobs of driving too.
Thanks for the welcome

Yeah, the Mazda is great! The 2019 infotainment kinda sucks though. It’s very bare bones. I wish that with the Apple CarPlay going, it would allow you to touch the screen. I feel like I look at the screen more while using the rotary knob to make sure I’m landing on the correct application.

I only have 14k miles so my tires still have a bit of life left in them. I drive the car pretty hard for a 3 row though so maybe my tires will wear sooner than expected. Which I guess is okay because many people seem to not like the factory Falken tires. The 9 is just confidence inspiring. I’ll take on or off ramps faster than the posted speed limit, safely of course, and I feel like it doesn’t even break a sweat.

Did the front brakes on my 2018 touring. Rears another day. Raybestos Element3 pads and rotors. Paid $250 shipped for all 4 corners from Rockauto. Supposed to be bite better than ceramics. Sil-Glyde on the slide bolts and Permatex ceramic grease on the shims/ears. Brake torque specs: slide bolts 65 ft-lb, caliper bracket 75 ft-lb.

In case anyone is wondering, the Quickjack BL-5000SLX barely fits the CX9. It works but took some tinkering to line everything up. Ideally you want the extended model (5000EXT i think?) or the add-on extensions for the 5000SLX. I use it for my Corvette so figured I would try it on the Mazda.

View attachment 298524
View attachment 298525

Thanks for posting and attaching those helpful PDFs!

Hi guys,

New dude here. Just wanted to say that everyone’s CX9 looks great. It’s nice to see a community of CX9 owners. I came from mustangs so having a 3 row is something new to me. The sports car community is very involved so it’s nice to see that people come together for their CX9s too. I purchased my 2019 signature on December of 2019. I wanted to wait and see what the 2020 models were like and when I saw that Mazda dropped the auburn Napa leather color, I went for the 2019. Anyway, here’s a pic of mine when my family and I went on a trip to the snow. Lake Tahoe California to be specific.

I wish there was more aftermarket support for the CX9. I understand it’s a family SUV but it would be nice to do something, anything. I spoke to corksport about lowering springs and they said that if there were inquiries about it and if there was interest, they’d consider making them. It would be a better alternative to coilovers since those are over $1k.

Only thing I have done to mine is front window tint, front and rear wheel spacers, front and rear mud guards, yellow fog light vinyl overlays, Draw-tite 2” hitch, K&N drop in air filter and corksports boost tube. I held off on the purchase of the boost tube because I thought, “what would a tube do?” Then one day it turned up on eBay for like $30 cheaper so I just purchased it. Not really sure it makes a difference.

Nice shot!

As @The ManLaw said, aftermarket support for the CX-9 in particular just isn't there (yet?). I wanted springs as well and got the same answer from CorkSport when I inquired.

One of my favourite mods for this car has been the Sprint Booster (electric throttle controller). It doesn't add any power, but it does help to make the car feel different enough.

The CX-9 really is a great car to drive, even in stock form. I find that I drive it harder than I used to drive my lowered IS250 lol.

Nice shot!

As @The ManLaw said, aftermarket support for the CX-9 in particular just isn't there (yet?). I wanted springs as well and got the same answer from CorkSport when I inquired.

One of my favourite mods for this car has been the Sprint Booster (electric throttle controller). It doesn't add any power, but it does help to make the car feel different enough.

The CX-9 really is a great car to drive, even in stock form. I find that I drive it harder than I used to drive my lowered IS250 lol.
Thanks. It’s just an iPhone SE. Lol. But I am particular about my backgrounds.

I was actually just looking at pedal commander? I think that’s what it was called. Never heard of it but stumbled upon it while browsing the web for CX9 mods. Haha

I also think I drive the CX9 harder than I do with my other cars. It’s just fun because it’s a big SUV, it’s not supposed to handle the way it does, but since it does... might as well enjoy it.

Before joining this forum I read through this whole thread and I’ve got to say, your 9 looks sweet. You really know how to take care of that paint!! Loving the wheels too!!

Thanks. It’s just an iPhone SE. Lol. But I am particular about my backgrounds.

Composition is sometimes more important than the equipment used IMO. (y)

I was actually just looking at pedal commander? I think that’s what it was called. Never heard of it but stumbled upon it while browsing the web for CX9 mods. Haha

Yeah there's another owner here who went with the Pedal Commander and as far as I can tell, he likes it as well. They're basically the same thing, main difference being that the Pedal Commander has the bluetooth option that the Sprint Booster doesn't.

I also think I drive the CX9 harder than I do with my other cars. It’s just fun because it’s a big SUV, it’s not supposed to handle the way it does, but since it does... might as well enjoy it.

Exactly how I feel! Lol.

Before joining this forum I read through this whole thread and I’ve got to say, your 9 looks sweet. You really know how to take care of that paint!! Loving the wheels too!!

Thanks for the kind words! It looks better in pictures than it does in person lol. But we do have a few owners here who share the same passion for car care (@The ManLaw being one of them :))

Thanks for the kind words! It looks better in pictures than it does in person lol. But we do have a few owners here who share the same passion for car care (@The ManLaw being one of them :))

Yes, car care is important to me as well. I think with my CX9 being white, it’s a little harder to tell which spots I’ve already addressed. I have 2012 Fusion Sport that’s candy apple red metallic and I try to keep it looking as swirl free and glossy as possible. It’s just satisfying to see paint that’s been cared for. I still have lots to learn so it’s nice that you and TheManLaw are in to that. Maybe I can learn a thing or two.

Replaced the tailgate struts.

View attachment 298576

View attachment 298577

View attachment 298578

Fixed the broken vent in the rear a/c panel. The plan wast to replace the panel, but I ordered the wrong colour, so plan B was to swap out the vent and re-use the old panel.

View attachment 298579

View attachment 298580

View attachment 298581

View attachment 298582

View attachment 298583

View attachment 298584

View attachment 298585

View attachment 298586
I hope when my CX9 get up in age I care of it as much as you care for yours. You probably have the cleanest 1st Gen I’ve seen. Is that a 3.7?

Yes, car care is important to me as well. I think with my CX9 being white, it’s a little harder to tell which spots I’ve already addressed. I have 2012 Fusion Sport that’s candy apple red metallic and I try to keep it looking as swirl free and glossy as possible. It’s just satisfying to see paint that’s been cared for. I still have lots to learn so it’s nice that you and TheManLaw are in to that. Maybe I can learn a thing or two.
White is very deceiving. It can look clean and shiny until you see it in just the right light, then you see nothing but swirls and scratches lol. And we are always learning too!

Maybe I can learn a thing or two.

Maybe you can teach us a thing or two as well! Haha. Post pics of your Fusion if you'd like! Clean, swirl free paint is always so nice to see.

White is very deceiving. It can look clean and shiny until you see it in just the right light, then you see nothing but swirls and scratches lol.

Seriously. That’s probably why it’s not as fun to work on. It’s not as rewarding to look at compared to deep colored cars.

Maybe you can teach us a thing or two as well! Haha. Post pics of your Fusion if you'd like! Clean, swirl free paint is always so nice to see.
Not the best picture I have but it’s what I have right now. It’s been parked outside for two days so there might be a little dust.. I have an old video when I first did the paint correction. It was so bad before. I got the car as a CPO with 24k miles.
351DF9A0-9265-411B-B891-C16A0FE93B52.jpeg
6A85921D-89DB-49D2-B9E1-5EE3763A2615.jpeg

Last edited:
Lol I still love the MGM but there's something about this blue lol. Wifes CRV is also Hondas dark blue so lots of washing happening.

BTW, the piano black between the windows takes to wax very well. Covered up almost all of the swirl marks.
The blue is growing on me too. Also i see alot of red cx9 around and when wearing specifically my polarised sun glasses makes the colour pop out something crazy like HDR effect.
20210404_115307.jpg
20210404_115318.jpg
20210417_150934.jpg

Back