What have you done to your CX-5 today?

That dealership does not have service coupons?

We need more information WHICH Canadian dealer to answer that question.

I did randomly check three:
-no current oil change special

-no service/parts special page found, only new vehicle offers

-no service/parts special page found, only new vehicle offers

FYI most times if you do find a service special at ANY manufacture dealer in your state/providence, the other dealers will pricematch or honor the coupon/promotion; I do it all the time. Just don't try to price match the Ford dealer to the Mazda dealer -- you will have a bad time. Oh this price matching also works great also for online parts sales by dealers (even out of state ones).

It reached 50 degrees today. So I did what any normal person would do, washed and waxed her.

Car11421.jpg

Not actually mine, one of my stepson's. Did the transmission fluid drain/refill, new brake rotors/pads at all four corners, new plugs, cleaned the MAF and throttle body, rotated the wheels/tires. All in including a drive to warm the transmission up before the fluid change and another drive to bed in the brakes, about eight hours total.

New headlights came in!! Now I just gotta get these babies installed! Not looking forward to dropping that bumper though. 🙄

Attachments

• 20210110_224553.jpg
    20210110_224553.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 143
WHAT WAS DONE TO MY CX-5
Technically my wife’s 21 Signature with 94 miles on it...sideswiped by someone who said they did not see me. 40 mph on a suburban road. I think the snowflake pearl white mica is going to be a b**** to paint...
Just thought I would follow up on this sordid tale. The other party accepted liability. The damage is a small dent and deep scratches that broke the paint at the leading edge of the front passenger door, about 12 inches high and 6-8 inches in length. Maybe small damage to the trailing edge of the front fender. No other apparent damage.

The body shop said this is a very hard paint to match, 3 stage he called it. Snowflake white pearl mica cost an extra $400, less than soul red or machine gray, but still...

The job is running over $3000 so far. In order to match the paint, the door gets repaired, which includes removing the trim, and lots of one use only parts including the chrome waist molding. The fender has to be removed to be repainted because it is next to the door. There are a number of one use parts on this piece also. The hood has to be blended to match the fender.

The headlight has to be removed to get to the fender, the grill has to be removed to get to the fender. All sensors have to be recalibrated to the steering angle sensor by the dealer. I worry about that.

The PPF on the fender and hood have been stripped and have to be reapplied.

The rear door and rear quarter panel also have to be blended...

My wife started getting all these alerts from My Mazda. AFS malfunction MRCC malfunction parking sensor malfunction BSM malfunction, as the car started coming apart.:(

This new paint is pretty, but it is expensive. I might have the car back in another two weeks. In the meantime, my wife has said she really likes driving my WRX now....

The shop is a high quality repair shop that has the reputation for doing things the right way, and repairs exotic cars like Ferrari, Maseratti and Lambo, in addition to Porsches. Most of the cars are more pedestrian like the Japanese brands, the Korean brands, and domestics. They do really good work, but it comes at a price.

Last edited:
Just thought I would follow up on this sordid tale. The other party accepted liability. The damage is a small dent and deep scratches that broke the paint at the leading edge of the front passenger door, about 12 inches high and 6-8 inches in length. Maybe small damage to the trailing edge of the front fender. No other apparent damage.

The body shop said this is a very hard paint to match, 3 stage he called it. Snowflake white pearl mica cost an extra $400, less than soul red or machine gray, but still...

The job is running over $3000 so far. In order to match the paint, the door gets repaired, which includes removing the trim, and lots of one use only parts including the chrome waist molding. The fender has to be removed to be repainted because it is next to the door. There are a number of one use parts on this piece also. The hood has to be blended to match the fender.

The headlight has to be removed to get to the fender, the grill has to be removed to get to the fender. All sensors have to be recalibrated to the steering angle sensor by the dealer. I worry about that.

My wife started getting all these alerts from My Mazda. AFS malfunction MRCC malfunction parking sensor malfunction BSM malfunction, as the car started coming apart.:(

This new paint is pretty, but it is expensive. I might have the car back in another two weeks. In the meantime, my wife has said she really likes driving my WRX now....

The shop is a high quality repair shop that has the reputation for doing things the right way, and repairs exotic cars like Ferrari, Maseratti and Lambo, in addition to Porsches. Most of the cars are more pedestrian like the Japanese brands, the Korean brands, and domestics. They do really good work, but it comes at a price.
Sorry to hear the incident. Nothing can be compared to the factory paint.

Happy to hear it's getting fixed by their insurance. I wouldn't worry too much about the recalibration - cross that bridge when you get there. Sounds like you're in good hands with the paint and body work. I had to have the driver's side front door, both rear doors, both rear quarter panels and the rear bumper repainted on my MGM CX-9 about 2 years ago. I believe the shop I used followed a similar process on the tri-stage paint, and it came out 99% perfect. I say 99% because to my eye, it looks perfect, but I know it isn't possible to respray the car the exact same way the factory did.

Anyway, hope you get the car back soon!

Hey, Chris is back, happy new year!! What happened to you?
I'm getting my car ready for sale. I'm thinking Alfa Stelvio, second choice is CX5 GTR. I haven't checked them out yet.

Hey, Chris is back, happy new year!! What happened to you?
I'm getting my car ready for sale. I'm thinking Alfa Stelvio, second choice is CX5 GTR. I haven't checked them out yet.
I believe Chris :cool: now enjoys more on flying 🛩️ than driving his CX-5 🚗

Painting 5 panels to blend paint from just one door?? Seems like that shop isn’t that experienced. After watching Paint Society videos on YouTube, they should be able to blend the rear door and fender, maybe into the hood, at the most.

Changed my oil at 35K miles. Used my new thumb-screw conversion to reattach the panel. Actually, I used it to take the screw out too. Just pressed on the 3D printed head with the screw still in place, then unscrewed it by hand. Success on the 1st iteration of the design :)

1611952503249.png

Back