What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Applied a ceramic coat from Avalon King to my Snowflake white 2019 GTR. Entire process went like this:

1. Full exterior wash
  2. Iron remover spray
  3. Clay bar the entire car
  4. Dual action polish (Chemical Guys v38 polish)
  5. Isopropyl alcohol wipe down
  6. Apply ceramic coat and wipe down one panel at a time
  7. Cure 24 hours
Finish is super smooth with a deep shine. Photos doesn't do it justice.
zOmQ35il.jpg

90hdgZRl.jpg

Best looking Snowflake White Pearl I've seen so far.

Took my '19 GT-R to a local garage for the first oil change at 3800 miles. I provided the OEM Taiwanese filter with crush gasket and they provided the 5W30 Mobile One full synthetic oil. I guess my CX-5 is a happy Mazda.
Why not 0W20 as recommended by Mazda?

Why not 0W20 as recommended by Mazda?

I have the 2.5L turbo. My manual states this:

SKYACTIV-G 2.5T

Use SAE 5W-30 engine oil.

Mazda Genuine Oil is used in your Mazda vehicle. Mazda Genuine 5W-30 Oil is required to achieve optimum fuel economy.

Yes, Mazda recommends 5W-30 oil for 2.5T. In fact, other than 0W-20, Mazda also recommends 5W-30 oil for 2.5L worldwide except in the US and Canada.

Getting a new windshield tomorrow

I got a little chip in my windshield early in the first month of ownership and first few hundred miles 😠. It probably happened from something kicked up by or blowing out of a truck while parked because I have to parallel street park.

Luckily it’s in a place where I can live with it (though I suppose I should get it “filled” by someone).

Scares me to think what it would cost to replace considering all the sensor hardware mounted to it (and also making sure that was all reinstalled correctly so it still functions as designed).

Getting a new windshield tomorrow
What is the current price going to replace a no-sensor after-market windshield on a CX-5? Any shop and brand preference?

My sensor-equipped windshield still has a big crack on the upper-right corner by a big hail 3 years ago. I haven’t had a chance to replace it and it has no problem to pass annual state inspection anyway. Last time I checked the price for OEM only windshield is approaching $750. May be I should get it done soon as the price is getting higher and higher.

What is the current price going to replace a no-sensor after-market windshield on a CX-5? Any shop and brand preference?

My sensor-equipped windshield still has a big crack on the upper-right corner by a big hail 3 years ago. I haven’t had a chance to replace it and it has no problem to pass annual state inspection anyway. Last time I checked the price for OEM only windshield is approaching $750. May be I should get it done soon as the price is getting higher and higher.

Yikes. That’s what I was afraid of. My ‘08 Impala windshield cost about $100 to replace with new, in my driveway, by Safelite. Obviously no tech to replace except a rear view mirror with OnStar and an inspection sticker.

Glad I selected a low deductible on auto-glass ($50) for my new CX-5, but still, I’d hate to have to use my insurance for something like that.

Luckily it’s in a place where I can live with it (though I suppose I should get it “filled” by someone).
Yes, you definitely want to keep the sensor-equipped windshield as long as you can. Get some DIY windshield repair kit to fill the chip just in case it may be getting worse.

Scares me to think what it would cost to replace considering all the sensor hardware mounted to it (and also making sure that was all reinstalled correctly so it still functions as designed).
I’d replaced my sensor-equipped windshield once before due to the hail damage. Unfortunately the new replacement OEM windshield of my 2016 CX-5 GT AWD with Tech got hit by the hail again in the following year and I haven’t got it replaced. According to Mazda Factory Workshop Manual, all sensors and camera on the windshield should get re-calibrated by the Mazda dealer after the windshield replacement. Since my CX-5 has only a rain-sensor without front camera, and the dealer seemed to have no clues about the sensor re-calibration, I skipped the step. Luckily the rain-sensing wipers still work as “bad“ as before anyway.

I got an on-line quote from Safelite a while ago out of curiosity since I've read that windshield replacements can go into the thousands of dollars. Safelite quotes vary by zip code. They are the big dog in the US specializing in auto glass replacement..

For my 2020 CX-5 Touring which does not have the heads up display but does have rain sensing, if that matters, they quote $490 for the glass + $300 for recalibration of the camera = $790.

The quote for the heads up unit is $1,800 for the glass + $300 recalibration = $2,100.

They claim they can fix up to 3 chips or cracks under 6" if that applies but the quote process only asks about chips. That might be worth investigating with them or somebody else.

The obvious question is whether your insurance covers glass. It's not uncommon for a $0 deductible glass coverage to be rolled into non-collision damage coverage or as a separate line item though perhaps not in a budget coverage. It's worth checking the policy if you have not done so already.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got an on-line quote from Safelite a while ago out of curiosity since I've read that windshield replacments can go into the thousands of dollars. Safelite quotes vary by zip code. They are big dog in the US specializing in auto glass replacement..

For my 2020 CX-5 Touring which does not have the heads up display but does have rain sensing, if that matters, they quote $490 for the glass + $300 for recalibration of the camera = $790.

The quote for the heads up unit is $1,800 for the glass + $300 recalibration = $2,100.

They claim they can fix up to 3 chips or cracks under 6" if that applies but the quote process only asks about chips. That might be worth investigating with them or somebody else.

The obvious question is whether your insurance covers glass. It's not uncommon for a $0 deductible glass coverage to be rolled into non-collision damage coverage or as a separate line item though perhaps not in a budget coverage. It's worth checking the policy if you have not done so already.
Thanks for the detailed info. When I said $750+ on OEM windshield for my 2016 CX-5 GT AWD with Tech, that is for parts only, another $200+ for installation from a reputable windshield shop.

Safelite is big. But there’re a few Safelite shops had been reported here using tape to fix sensors on a no-sensor standard after-market windshield ⋯ :rolleyes:

Hello CX-5ers
My 2014 CX-5 touring runs on Sunoco 93 octane with a fillup at-every-oil-change of VP 110 octane
Mods:
- Mazda speed pedals. Feels more vibration isolated.

- CX-9 rearview mirror with compass. The auto dim with a blue hue is cool and easy on the eyes.

- Since there is no coolant temp gauge, I purchased and installed a Blu-Driver® OBDll monitor that shown the coolant temp and other engine functions.

- K&N high flow airfilter.

- Oil Catch can

- Super Brite® LED and precision LED lights all-round.
Will post pictures

Attachments

• IMG_20200917_170002.jpg
    IMG_20200917_170002.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_20200917_165339.jpg
    IMG_20200917_165339.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 194
It's worth checking the policy if you have not done so already.

Holy. crap! What’s so much more expensive about my windshield with a heads up display? Isn’t everything in the dash?

I don’t have a zero deductible for glass (NJ), but I have $500 on regular comprehensive and $50 on glass; which is the lowest I could get.

Yes, you definitely want to keep the sensor-equipped windshield as long as you can. Get some DIY windshield repair kit to fill the chip just in case it may be getting worse.

I’ll look into that right away. Thanks!

Hello CX-5ers
My 2014 CX-5 touring runs on Sunoco 93 octane with a fillup at-every-oil-change of VP 110 octane
Mods:
- Mazda speed pedals. Feels more vibration isolated.

- CX-9 rearview mirror with compass. The auto dim with a blue hue is cool and easy on the eyes.

- Since there is no coolant temp gauge, I purchased and installed a Blu-Driver® OBDll monitor that shown the coolant temp and other engine functions.

- K&N high flow airfilter.

- Oil Catch can

- Super Brite® LED and precision LED lights all-round.
Will post pictures

What's your reasoning for using the 93 octane at every fill up and the 110 octane after an oil change?

Back