What have you done to your CX-5 today?

You included an IronX or similar, right?
Claybar. Didn't need any machine correction, paint was nearly perfect. That's why I don't let the dealer preppies touch it, just remove the plastic. Then followed it with a 3 step Zaino application - ZAIO, Z-5, Z-8.

Last edited:
Got my snow tires put on and bought a set of wheels. They look very similar to the "Vampire Fangs". Today was kinda hectic before it got dark. I promise to take pics tomorrow or so!

I guess a little glare on this pic, but here's the new wheels. Not quite the "vampire fangs" but pretty close.

20201108_143055.jpg

Last edited:
Claybar. Didn't need any machine correction, paint was nearly perfect. That's why I don't let the dealer preppies touch it, just remove the plastic. Then followed it with a 3 step Zaino application - ZAIO, Z-5, Z-8.
IronX has noting to do with Correction. EVERY new car will bleed iron, That's what this does, it removes embedded iron from the transit. Check out videos.

IronX has noting to do with Correction. EVERY new car will bleed iron, That's what this does, it removes embedded iron from the transit. Check out videos.
Sure but prep matters, totally understand it does not need a paint correction. But I guess everyone's definition of a "complete" exterior detail differs. I do understand what a fallout does. Me, if I am doing any kind of sealant (polymer, ceramic, hybrids, wax) and am certainly not going to seal in the iron under it ( IronX &Clay). Also best of luck with Xpel install! Have fun and she will protected...

this. Also any type of mechanical decontamination like clay bar, Nanoskin Autoscrub etc. will introduce some amount of scratching and marring. If you don't want to correct, the less you should touch the paint.

Just put this cheap charcoal cabin filter in at 41,790 miles on my 2016 CX-5 few days ago. It fits, but it has less folds than OEM, so the filtering area is about 20% less.

Any difference in blower strength? I hope the charcoal's ability to absorb smells makes up for the lessor filtering surface area.

So, I've had my CX5 for about a month.
I haven't done anything to it other than washing and a spray wax.
Do I need to Iron X it? And then seal and wax? How would I know if it needs iron x?

So, I've had my CX5 for about a month.
I haven't done anything to it other than washing and a spray wax.
Do I need to Iron X it? And then seal and wax? How would I know if it needs iron x?

You don't really NEED it. Plenty of cars go their entire lives without being clay barred or decontaminated. That said, your car is pretty much guaranteed to have contaminants embedded into the paint that you can't see or feel. This is generally due to the environments they are subjected to, and sometimes even due to the way they are delivered to the dealership (via truck or train).

It's a good idea to remove as much of that as you can before laying down some protection.

You only really NEED to do chemical decon if you plan on paint correcting the car. If you don't, you run the risk of the polisher picking up an embedded iron particle and then spinning it all around all over the paint. If you plan on paint correction, you want to remove every last bit of decontamination that you possibly can before starting the compound/polishing process.

^ Where did you order the moldings from?

I'm interested in a set but haven't found anyone that makes them other than Dawn.
My 2019 Mazda CX-5 color is Sonic Silver. I bought the 2017 Toyota Rav 4 body molding which was Silver Sky metallic. The color was not a perfect match but it looked ok to me. I ordered it online from EB Toyota Parts 1-866-574-2624. It cost me $125 including shipping and taxes.
20201115_111018.jpg

Just put this cheap charcoal cabin filter in at 41,790 miles on my 2016 CX-5 few days ago. It fits, but it has less folds than OEM, so the filtering area is about 20% less.
Any difference in blower strength? I hope the charcoal's ability to absorb smells makes up for the lessor filtering surface area.
Can’t tell any difference with this cheap cabin filter on blower strength. Personally I don’t mind to use these cheap after-market cabin air filters, but the engine air filter has to be high-quality、more expensive OEM air filter! :p

This weekend I put the new GT-R up on the QuickJack to make mud flap installation easier. Get those big wheels out of the way. The wooden blocks just give me an extra few inches of lift, don't really need them.

Also poked around a bit underneath. Took the fill plug off the rear diff, and it looks like the fluid is low as I read to expect. Just hard to tell by how much. I was planning to also check the ATF level, but didn't really have time to remove both engine underbody trays to get to the dip stick. Maybe in the spring.
2020112223113066-772325412187403902-IMG_5649_HEIC-XL.jpg

Back