What do you do to protect the chrome on the nose of your car?

:
2018 CX-5 Sport
Generally, plastic chrome can look not so great after a few years with scratches and blemishes. What can we do to preserve it?

You could have clear guard put on it. Although ib issue clear guard on all of the target areas of my cars I never do the chrome plastic or metal

You could have clear guard put on it. Although ib issue clear guard on all of the target areas of my cars I never do the chrome plastic or metal

Mm. Maybe it's a non issue and I just keep it waxed. It's the lower trim piece in the nose, it is going to splatter a lot of bugs when spring comes.

I would keep it waxed, and clean off bugs with a detailer spray after longer drives in bug season. They should come off of a waxed surface fairly easily. Don't let em sit on your car paint or chrome.

I'd be surprised if this chrome isn't far superior to that fake plated crap they used in the 90s. [emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

Last edited:
It is a brand new 2018 CX-5. I wouldn't dream of blacking it out.

Mazda, not Maserati;)..sport model too? -->jk. My 5.5 year old plastic chrome grill that I don't like but was too lazy to tone down has held up ok..I'd be much more concerned about front of hood.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if this chrome isn't far superior to that fake plated crap they used in the 90s. [emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

Same stuff AFAIK. Same quality as the competition I believe.

OP, PPF is your best bet. Waxes will not help if your chrome trim meets a pebble/rock, they they do help a ton in keeping the area clean (as long as you don't let bug guts/bird poop bake in the sun).

Mazda, not Maserati;)..sport model too? -->jk. My 5.5 year old plastic chrome grill that I don't like but was too lazy to tone down has held up ok..I'd be much more concerned about front of hood.

This car is much better than a Maserati, I checked out its construction :) I think you are right, I think the chrome will hold up okay. It's probably harder than the painted surfaces so yeah the hood would be more susceptible.

This car is much better than a Maserati, I checked out its construction :) I think you are right, I think the chrome will hold up okay. It's probably harder than the painted surfaces so yeah the hood would be more susceptible.

Maserati is chrysler for second rate rappers. Change my mind.

I've considered this but I've also heard that plastidip doesn't stick too well to plastic chrome pieces? Any validity to that before I try it?

You can prep the area with adhesion promoter before painting/plastidipping. Should be fine as long as you don't get too close with the pressure washer.

I just looked at my "chrome" Mazda badge/emblem. It looks fine. 101,7XX miles and 3 years after the car hit the road. I've been through 2 windshields in that time, FWIW (on my 3rd, finally ditched Mazda OEM and went Safelite and it holds up).

Had mine painted black and then had it wrapped with PPF.

20180916-150500.jpg

Had mine painted black and then had it wrapped with PPF.

20180916-150500.jpg

Nice. I'm thinking of getting a roll and trying to apply it myself, just the parts of the car likely to get hit by a pebble. PPF won't damage the paint in any way right?

Nice. I'm thinking of getting a roll and trying to apply it myself, just the parts of the car likely to get hit by a pebble. PPF won't damage the paint in any way right?

No damage to the paint at all, just need the paint to cure before PPF application, minimum 30 days.

Back