What did you pay for your CX-9?

I know supply is tight but there are a bunch of Carbons on the lots that obviously aren't moving that well. Truecar still shows ~7% off msrp is the best I could do, however. Could I get over 10% in mid Atlantic, Northeast?

I know supply is tight but there are a bunch of Carbons on the lots that obviously aren't moving that well. Truecar still shows ~7% off msrp is the best I could do, however. Could I get over 10% in mid Atlantic, Northeast?
Just joined the forum, and a new owner. I am in mid-atlantic/east coast, picked up a Carbon for just shy of 10% off MSRP. Be weary if you are shopping MD or VA, they have crazy doc fees and then also add in destination (advertised pricing has it removed). Inventory does appear to be getting tight and the dealer told me they have 0 CX-9 inbound. Glad to have grabbed a discount and the 0% while it was still out there.

The CX-9 is a very nice looking SUV, but the Carbon Edition is just stunning. Dealer offered similar percentage discount on a GT, making it only a few hundred dollars more, but preferred the look of the CE as opposed to getting the HUD and 360 cameras in the GT.

We just leased this ‘21 GT AWD at a cap cost of $41,200, a little over $4,000 off MSRP And were able to turn in our Mazda6 Signature a year early due to appreciating used car values. 3-4 months ago the buyout of the 6’s lease was more than the trade in value. Last week when we got the 9 it was $1300 more than the buyout. We put that $1300 equity as a down payment on the lease of the 9 and our lease payment only went up $29 a month….even though the 9 had an MSRP $10k higher than the 6. I was happy with the deal.

Attachments

• 1D6F97E5-900B-4A4A-8137-D430F16205BC.jpeg
    1D6F97E5-900B-4A4A-8137-D430F16205BC.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 143
Hi All, New here, first post!

Just about to pull the trigger on a 2021 Touring with premium package for $36 OTD at 0%. First Mazda (VW/Audi when I was family-less, then Toyota) and I'm super happy with the car and the deal.
Sounds good! Everything at my local Mazda dealers except the CX-9 "Sport"....everything else is $40,000 or more. I just can't seem to do it. It doesn't seem fair to my wife for me to spend $40K on something that immediately loses its value the moment I drive it off the lot. Toyota Highlanders are all 40K also. In 1972 my dad bought a new construction 3 bedroom home for $44,000. Fully loaded CX-9s cost more than the home I grew up in.o_O I hate it! :rolleyes:
Thinkin' about getting an attractive black AWD Chevy Traverse that I CAN buy at the local dealer for just $34,500....but the back up camera/touch screen is just 7 inches and there is no blind spot monitoring system like I've enjoyed on my last two Mazda vehicles. The Chevy does have Android Auto and way more cargo space than a CX-9.

Last edited:
Sounds good! Everything at my local Mazda dealers except the CX-9 "Sport"....everything else is $40,000 or more. I just can't seem to do it. It doesn't seem fair to my wife for me to spend $40K on something that immediately loses its value the moment I drive it off the lot. Toyota Highlanders are all 40K also. In 1972 my dad bought a new construction 3 bedroom home for $44,000. Fully loaded CX-9s cost more than the home I grew up in.o_O I hate it! :rolleyes:
Thinkin' about getting an attractive black AWD Chevy Traverse that I CAN buy at the local dealer for just $34,500....but the back up camera/touch screen is just 7 inches and there is no blind spot monitoring system like I've enjoyed on my last two Mazda vehicles. The Chevy does have Android Auto and way more cargo space than a CX-9.
My in laws have a 2018 Traverse. There are quite a few interior panels falling off, the seat cushions are worn out, and the interior squeaks going over bumps. They were surprised when they found out my CX-9 is two years older than their Traverse. That’s just one data point but I don’t think Chevy makes quality products anymore. Right now is also a horrible time to be trying to buy a vehicle. Don’t you have a CX-9 already?

My in laws have a 2018 Traverse. There are quite a few interior panels falling off, the seat cushions are worn out, and the interior squeaks going over bumps. They were surprised when they found out my CX-9 is two years older than their Traverse. That’s just one data point but I don’t think Chevy makes quality products anymore. Right now is also a horrible time to be trying to buy a vehicle. Don’t you have a CX-9 already?

I agree. If you can help it, delaying the purchase for a year or two might be enough time for used and new car stock levels to go back to normal. At that point it should be much easier to negotiate and you should have more CX-9s to choose from.

#1 The 2021 Traverse is hopefully better than the 2018
#2 I drive a Mazda CX-5 with 76,000 miles and climbing.
I hate taking it to get an oil change and hearing the service rep say: You need this done, that done and the other thing done....estimated cost $543 :confused:

Last edited:
but toward the end the author of the article says that things have improved recently and it would be fair to give the Traverse another look.
And then there is this....

#1 The 2021 Traverse is hopefully better than the 2018
#2 I drive a Mazda CX-5 with 76,000 miles and climbing.
I hate taking it to get an oil change and hearing the service rep say: You need this done, that done and the other thing done....estimated cost $543 :confused:

The dealer's estimated cost is inflated by their higher part prices and higher shop rate. If you were to buy the OEM parts yourself, you may be able to get them for a cheaper price, then have the necessary maintenance done by an independent shop instead for a much more reasonable price.

According to Schedule 1 of the CX-5 Owner's Manual, the spark plugs and engine air filter are due to be changed at 75k miles. Assuming everything else has been taken care of (engine oil and oil filter, cabin air filter, and basic inspections), you shouldn't need anything else. If they say you need XX service done, ask them to explain why the service needs to be performed. The dealer service department of any given brand is famous for making totally unnecessary recommendations just to earn a quick buck - these include things like fuel system cleaning, early fluid and filter replacements, brake work, etc. If you're worried about whether they're trying to take advantage of you, get a list of the things they want to do for $543 and post it here in a separate thread asking for advice on how to proceed. Most of the time, the "services" they want to perform are not necessary or can be performed at home.

Now, let's get back to the topic of CX-9 pricing please.

Is it reasonable to assume that True Car's price for a CX-9 Grand Touring always leaves the dealer more than $1,000 profit compared to what the dealer paid for the vehicle?
If True Car says that $41,300 is a "fair price", can the buyer reasonably negotiate the price down $1,000 from the True Car price and the dealer will still make SOME profit?

Last edited:
Is it reasonable to assume that True Car's price for a CX-9 Grand Touring always leaves the dealer more than $1,000 profit compared to what the dealer paid for the vehicle?
If True Car says the $41,300 is a "fair price", can the buyer negotiate the price down $1,000 from the True Car price and the dealer will still make SOME profit?
According to NADA and a few other sites, invoice is around $41,500 +\- $150 for a 2021 CX-9 AWD. Destination fee of $1100 and a holdback of $438 for a dealer cost of $42,100-42,900. There’s usually a little bit of extra money built in the invoice price but probably not another $2000. Reduce the invoice and dealer cost by $2000 if you’re looking for FWD, not AWD

Hi everyone, I am new here and planning to buy a 21 CX-9 GT. I am located in central NJ. The discount is not good from nearby dealers (like $750, saying the shortage of chip). And recently I found this dealer in MD with over 4k discount here.
Anyone purchase car at this dealer before, and any thought? Thanks!

Hi everyone, I am new here and planning to buy a 21 CX-9 GT. I am located in central NJ. The discount is not good from nearby dealers (like $750, saying the shortage of chip). And recently I found this dealer in MD with over 4k discount here.
Anyone purchase car at this dealer before, and any thought? Thanks!
Are they discounting them $4k off of the advertised price? Or are you saying that those $42-44k advertised prices are a discount of $4k?

I mean the web price, like the red GT, MSRP 46.5k to price 42.4k after $4112 dealer discount. Is it not a decent discount?
It’s right in the middle of the dealer cost that I posted above. If it had been $4k off of the web price, that would be a screaming deal. Normally, you’d probably be able to get a bit more off of the dealer cost, but with the chip shortage, that seems like an alright deal. Also keep in mind that if a dealer is advertising at a certain price, they are still making money. Not to say you should negotiate down to them making no money, but there is obviously a bit more wiggle room than what the known dealer cost is.

Ultimately, it comes down to “did you get a price you were comfortable paying for a product you like?”

Hi everyone! I am getting notifications every time someone posts on this thread. I'm not the OP and I don't want any notifications. How can I "tell" the system to stop them? @sm1ke

Hi everyone! I am getting notifications every time someone posts on this thread. I'm not the OP and I don't want any notifications. How can I "tell" the system to stop them? @sm1ke

As @MGMGT16 pointed out, clicking on the Unwatch button at the top of the page will "unsubscribe" you from the thread, meaning you'll no longer get notifications for new replies. By default, I believe that as soon as you reply to a thread, you are automatically subscribed to it.

To change your preference regarding when you receive notifications, click on your username at the top of the page, then click on Preferences. On this page, you can change your content options, as well as when and how you prefer to be notified for certain activities. After making your changes, be sure to click on the Save button at the bottom.

Back