What did you pay for your CX-9?

Anyone have a good idea what kind of discount I could/should expect on a new, leftover 2020 GT CX-9 ?

I'm looking for great deal and willing to travel to find one 😊. Thanks in advance 👍

Anyone have a good idea what kind of discount I could/should expect on a new, leftover 2020 GT CX-9 ?

I'm looking for great deal and willing to travel to find one 😊. Thanks in advance 👍
15 to 20 percent off msrp including public rebates and doc fee. Not including loyalty, or TTL fees.

Signed the papers on a 2021 Touring with premium package for $34,735 + TT&L last night. It was right around $5k off sticker, I thought it was a decent deal.

Took home a Carbon Edition for $40,600, 36 month lease, 0 down in Denver area. Love the red in person. Infotainment and paddle shifters are awesome. Much roomier with captains chairs for people and kids to move throughout.

I was checking the website of a large dealer in St. Louis and see a 2021 GT with the CE paint and interior for $38,724. Turns out it is FWD but the sales person said they have an AWD demo and will get back to me on price. If the FWD is a good price and AWD is, I believe a $2,000 option, but the car is a demo, would something below $40,000 be a good price?

Hi,

I'm eyeing the 2021 Signature. Wonder what is a nice price I should go for? One dealer is doing $44,622 plus TTL; so I guess I should hit for around $43,000 OTD?

Thanks in advance.

My 2019 GT CX-9 was 28,000 ish. It had 49,000 miles on it at the time of purchase. I think it was a rental car before I purchased it.

Just leased a new 2021 AWD Mazda CX9 Grand Touring Silver/Black MSRP $45,280 for $449/mo with $449 due at signing (first month).
36mo/12,000miles. Great SUV for the $$$ so far!!!

Hello,

Looking to buy a signature CX-9. Have not discussed price yet, but salesman told me there is one price for cash and another less generous price is I take advantage of the 0.0 apr offer going on. Is this real or BS?

Thanks!

Hello,

Looking to buy a signature CX-9. Have not discussed price yet, but salesman told me there is one price for cash and another less generous price is I take advantage of the 0.0 apr offer going on. Is this real or BS?

Thanks!

Everything the salesman says about price is BS until they present you with actual numbers. Different prices for cash vs. financing is certainly possible, but that's something the dealer can decide to do or not do. I've found that withholding how you plan to pay and whether you have a trade or not makes negotiations more straightforward. Once you've agreed on price, you can determine whether you want to finance or trade-in or not, and decide on whether the price increase for financing and/or the trade-in value they offer is acceptable to you or not.

A suggestion: Get actual quoted prices, then shop those prices around with other local dealers and negotiate using those prices to start. Ideally you'd be able to get two or three dealers going back and forth, competing with each other to earn your business.

Hello,

Thanks!

In canada that is real. There is no such thing as free interest, it is almost always included in the price, but not a lot of car manufacturers give you the option of opting out of it. Mazda does. Both time i bought a mazda (2010 and 2019), it was cheaper to go with the cash rebate and finance with a bank through the dealer at 4% for 5 years. (Plus the dealer gets a kickback from the bank on that finance deal and as such is sometime more willing to negotiate that way).

It is counter intuitive, but if the monthly payment are cheaper for the same period of time, then it is cheaper.

edit: i should mention, the cash rebate is define by Mazda corporate, it is not a deal that the dealer is doing.

Also, if you go build your cx-9 on the mazda canada website, you will see the cash rebate in the payments option and how much it is. So it really isn’t a secret.

Thank you both for the detailed response. Much appreciated.

I received an online guestimate from Carmax for my car.

I researched the average price on Edmunds, Truecar and KBB. Now, i'm not sure now if i'm supposed interpret these numbers, w/ or w/o cash/finance incentives. Example, is avg price $3,500 below MSRP or $1,000 cash with $2,500 coming from 0.0 APR benefits?

I was planning on asking for the dealership to match the avg price, the carmax price and provide the 0.0 APR rate, if not, move on.

Bad strategy?

Asking them to match the carmax price is probably not a bad idea, but i wouldn’t chase the 0%APR unless you have bad credit and wouldn’t be able to secure another loan at lower interest cost than the cash incentives.

just like Sm1ke said. Negotiate price without the financing in the equation. Once the price is settled, you can decide to finance at 0% or finance elsewhere and get the cash rebate.

also, if you are bringing a car in exchange, some dealer will give you more for your trade-in. If they give you a great price on the new car but a bad price on your trade-in, you might be better off somewhere else.

Thanks again.

When you said "cash rebate" you mean the dealer's discount to MSRP?

If a dealer offers me 3k off MSRP today if i pay cash or 1.5k if i use their 0.0 finance deal (assuming interest payments add up to 1.5k), is there ever a deal? If next month Mazda offers a 1k rebate, will the dealer drop the offer to 2k? Every scenario i get the same 3k deal? Just moving numbers from one column to another?

I would push for more MSRP, and also with a production halt coming, dealers may not get inventory in the next few months and may lessen the discounts. After speaking with many East coast Mazda sales managers, GMs, and techs, it appears the warehouse fire, chip shortage, tsunami has killed production and the supply is dwindling. Heard a few say they may not getvany CX-9s for up to 3 months.

I would deal now before the end of the month.
I got over 4k off MSRP to start my lease this month.

Thank you Orangeman.

I am looking to buy this week.

When you go 4k+ off MSRP did you then negotiate the lease interest rate (or money factor)?

By cash rebate i mean the rebate that mazda offers if you don’t use their financing (if you pay “cash”) that rebate is set by mazda. It is not a deal that this particular dealer is offering you.

so if you negatiate 2000$ of the car with the dealer, and then decide to pay cash instead of financing, then that “cash rebate” would be added on top of the 2000$ discount you negotiated with the dealer. If you go build your car online, you can see what that “cash rebate” would amount to. The dealer doesn’t have a choice in that matter.

Is going for the cash rebate just moving the $ sign from a column to another and resulting in the same total at the end? Maybe, it depends on the specific situations, sometimes it is cheaper, sometime it is the same and sometime it could be more expensive. You have to run the math, in my case for 2 cars purchased 8 years appart, the cash rebate saved me money on both, even though i financed the car at a higher interest rate and did not actually payed cash. That also depends how much cash down you put down or how much your trade in is worth. Are you financing 40 000$, or only 20 000$? Everyone’s situation is different.

The financing part was done through the dealer with a well established bank they have a deal with for car loans. The interest rate was competitive and they took care of all the paperwork, just as if I had gone for the 0% APR. (i had 4% financing on my 2018 with Scotia bank and no penalties for early payment)

That’s in Canada, financing in the states may be different.

Last edited:
DECEA565-39A2-4B6E-A4A9-932971584A44.png

Photo of mazda canada website for a 2021 cx-9 signature. The cash rebate is the 2500 mazda retail cash rebate.

Back