What did you pay for your CX-5?

I also found the Costco affiliated dealers would not budge lower than the "Costco Price" which I guess they have to stick with to maintain their affiliation. I made them the same offer that I did to other dealers & never even heard back.
Please all, you can usually negotiate lower.
I definitely agree. The worst that can happen is they say no. I was able to get an additional $1000 off the "final best price" by making an offer which was then accepted.

I think some know that some people blindly take the Costco dealer offer thinking "gee, this is costco, I know I'm getting the best deal. -not. Take that to another dealer and you can find at least aother $200. YMMV, but 2 hours of my time is worth the additional $200.

I just purchased my wife a CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve. Sticker was $37,155, after subtracting rebate, dealer discounts, then adding in the stupid doc processing fee of $799, we paid $34,000 for the car. That's about a 9% discount and then I only pay 2.90% sales tax where I live. I feel like that was a pretty good deal. It was lower than the Costco price another dealer gave me. I was also dealing with a small town dealer, I don't think he could have gone much lower, I would have had to go to the city to get more. Would love thoughts.

Last edited:
FYI, the worldwide computer chip shortage will be affecting Mazda soon. New vehicle inventory levels will be noticeably reduced starting in the next month or two. This is happening to pretty much every US and Asian car manufacturer. What this drop in supply will also mean is most likely a reduction in how much dealers are able/willing to discount their inventory. Demand will stay high but the supply just won't be there.

Anybody got a good deal in the LA area? The dealers that I have tried, they don't want to budge.
I'm thinking about a '21 GTR.

I thought I had an OK deal lined up after talking at the dealer the other day but the broken down numbers with fees I got in email aren't matching.

I was looking at a 2021 signature. I thought I had $35575 + extra $500 trade + 3 years oil changes+ $250 dealer gift card and a 20yr/200k mile powertrain warranty from The Warranty Group (probably not worth much but all the dealers in this group use this warranty company). I figured this was an ok deal at around 8% off MSRP plus some "extra" if you count the oil changes+trade cash+gift card.

for the numbers they sent a document fee of $125 was added on (same as a different Mazda dealer quoted me). They are trying to add on the $299 rear collision device which there is no way I'd pay for that. And the rest of the numbers don't jive. I've spent a bunch of time trying to figure out their calculations and can't figure out what they did to get to the monthly payment they estimated

..... And the rest of the numbers don't jive. I've spent a bunch of time trying to figure out their calculations and can't figure out what they did to get to the monthly payment they estimated

Monthly payments are normally estimated by an assumed credit score (interest rate) and a loan duration. Don't buy a vehicle based on the dealers monthly payments, buy a vehicle based on the price. Get all the numbers in writing, with a detail of each line item - go from there.

Just purchased a used 2018 GT AWD, tech package, machine grey metallic with 34,000 km for $28,500 (Canadian dollars). Salesperson was pretty firm and wouldn't come down too much on price, but threw in cargo tray and cargo cover. As a CPO, also came with 7 year/140,000km limited powertrain warranty (from original sale date in 2018).

Really enjoying the vehicle so far!

Monthly payments are normally estimated by an assumed credit score (interest rate) and a loan duration. Don't buy a vehicle based on the dealers monthly payments, buy a vehicle based on the price. Get all the numbers in writing, with a detail of each line item - go from there.
Thank you. I understand that. That's what I asked for. 1 dealer sent me line by line and I could get my spreadsheet to follow along and calculate while 2 others just sent me numbers that don't work out in my spreadsheet. I'm waiting for the actual numbers with detail line items. The games are frustrating to say the least. I thought this guy was not playing games until we got to this point which is disappointing.

Thank you. I understand that. That's what I asked for. 1 dealer sent me line by line and I could get my spreadsheet to follow along and calculate while 2 others just sent me numbers that don't work out in my spreadsheet. I'm waiting for the actual numbers with detail line items. The games are frustrating to say the least. I thought this guy was not playing games until we got to this point which is disappointing.
Ask them for the numbers you need to plug into your spreadsheet. Get it in writing. Of course they play games, the point is to confuse you until you give up and agree to their terms.

When shopping or comparing price lot of people seem to make this harder than it needs to be. There's really no 'hiding' fees or fancy footwork involved. You want to concentrate total price before TT&L. If you have a $30,000 car and the dealer discounts it $3,000, it's the same as if he discounts the same $30,000 car by $10,000 then adds 'hidden' fees and dealer add-ons that total another $7,000. It ends up to the same $27,000! It doesn't matter where you slice and dice the rebates/incentives/add-ons/fees - to compare apples to apples you want the net price before TT&L, as those do not go to the dealer.

Dealer A's MSRP price (including accessories whether dealer added or not) $30,000
less dealer discount -$2,000
less manager special -$2,000
less dealer special adjust -$2,000

plus DOC fee +$1,000
plus office supply fee +$1,000
plus other trumped up charge +$1,000

= net price before TT&L $27,000

Dealer B MSRP $30,000
less dealer dealer discount -$3,000
no dealer added fees
= net price before TT&L $27,000

If the above 2 are the same, then I don't care if one tries to 'hide' $3,000 in fees (other than which dealer I Iike better). In real life, my 2020 had a doc fee of $598, but my net price was still $500 less than 3 other dealers before.

Also, please, let's not concentrate on OTD, as half the people wrongly think that that means "your final deal" before TT&L, where in the car world it includes TT&L.

I posted this in the wrong thread originally so coming to this thread in hopes of some opinions on the cost.

This is what the salesperson came back to me with. I live in Long Island, NY. Curious what everyone thinks. Or what I should ask for. He didn't mention the APR rate but it seems low. I may ask for 0% just to see if possible, I do have good credit. Curious on everyone else's experience and what they paid if they live in the general area.

2021 CX-5 Touring
Financing costs
Car $29,900+Tax 8.625% $2,578.87+DMV $97.50+ Transfer Plate $70= $32,646.37
Down payment $5000= $27,646.37
for 72 month payment come $383.97 plus interest rate.

Last edited:
I paid 1k less than the msrp for carbon edition turbo w/black interior. Did my research ahead of time. Only a few for sale in the area. Mine had to get shipped

I posted this in the wrong thread originally so coming to this thread in hopes of some opinions on the cost.

This is what the salesperson came back to me with. I live in Long Island, NY. Curious what everyone thinks. Or what I should ask for. He didn't mention the APR rate but it seems low. I may ask for 0% just to see if possible, I do have good credit. Curious on everyone else's experience and what they paid if they live in the general area.

2021 CX-5 Touring
Financing costs
Car $29,900+Tax 8.625% $2,578.87+DMV $97.50+ Transfer Plate $70= $32,646.37
Down payment $5000= $27,646.37
for 72 month payment come $383.97 plus interest rate.
Others have gotten GTs for 30 but the market may be different now. Not sure if you want to travel but Riley Mazda in CT gave me the best deal and NYC area dealers didn’t want to match.

Picked up my 2021 Eternal Blue Signature today. Agreed price including all discounts and incentives ended up $34797 plus $125 doc fee, ~$550 Mn state fees, and 6.5% sales tax. I didn't want any accessories but they had to get it from another dealer and it already had roof rails, all season mats, and rear bumper guard which they ate the cost of. Part of their promotion this month was 3 years of synthetic oil changes and a $250 dealer network gift card. I also got them to throw in a 20yr/200k mile 3rd party powertrain warranty that was part of a previous month promotion.

I think I did decent in our current local market and the added accessories for free made it better. The oil changes and gift card were nice add ons with some value too.

Making some updates after my purchase*
---------------------------------------
I got my new CX-5 Grand Touring! and I wanted to thank this community as the information shared here helped me start with my research, and negotiate a reasonable price for my CX-5 (At least that's what I feel, based on the comment I got from other dealers around this area).

Below are the details of my purchase:
Date: 4/29/2021
State: MA
Model: 2021 - Grand Touring - Silver - AWD - No Additions
------------------------- Cost Breakdown ---------------------
MSRP: $33,135
Sales Price: $30,043
Docs Fees: $399
Rebates: None
Net Total: $30,422
------------------------- TT&L --------------------------------
Tax: $1902.63
Registration Fee: $150
-------------------------- Total Cost Out of Pocket------------
Total: $32,494

Also including some information I gathered in the last couple days, in case this can help anyone trying to buy a CX-5 in the near future.

1619633041368.png

Dealers that I've worked with: (Around MA)
1. Tasca Mazda Seekonk - This is where I bought my CX-5 GT
2. 495 Mazda - This is where I did my test drive. I shared the price I got from Tasca, and they were willing to negotiate, but they couldn't match the price, and told me that Tasca was selling me a Touring instead :)
3. Sentry Mazda - shared the price from Tasca, and told me to take this deal! :D
4. Wellesley Mazda - Didn't want to negotiate and told me the MSRP price on their site is their price
5. North Shore Mazda - Same owner as Wellesley Mazda, so I was reached out by the same sales agent
6. Patrick Mazda - Didn't get back to me before my purchase, but was willing to negotiate.
7. Werner Mazda - Didn't respond after sending them the offer from Tasca to check if they could offer a better deal.

Lesson Learned:
The sales person from Tasca did ask me to complete the purchase before the end of the month, or the offer might change (better or worse), so month-end/quarter-end/year-end might be a better time to buy.
2. No need to stop by dealer (unless for the test drive), as they will usually trick you and just make you feel bad. Just negotiate over by email or over the phone.
3. Research online to determine a reasonable price for your vehicle, and just send mass emails to all the dealers around you with a price you would like to work with (I asked for $30k), and just work with those that are willing to negotiate with you.
4. Dealer with fewer Vehicle you need is less willing to negotiate. (Tasca Mazda has 16+ CX-5 GTs, while Sentry Mazda only had 1 in their lot)
5. Dealers are less willing to give you quote in writing, as they know you might be using this to ask other to match.
6. Let dealer know your "MUST HAVE" requirement and be as precise as possible, and just ignore if they try to convince you their price is better because they have things you probably don't need. (In my case I asked for: New, 2021 CX-5 GT, Black Interior, AWD, Deep Blue/White/Silver paint. Pretty simple).
7. Asked for the following information when chatting over the phone:
- Confirm the model and car they are offering is the one you asked for
- Sales Price
- Docs Fee
- Loan Origination Fee (If you are financing)
- Price difference between finance and cash
- Registration Fee (Just in case they are charging anything outrageous)
- Check if there are any other fees they didn't cover
- Calculate the Final Price with all TT&L included, and asked them to confirm that's the price you will be paying when taking the car :)

Again, thanks for sharing and I hope this can help someone else around here!

Last edited:
There's no expectation of dealer privacy, yes you can share any dealer info you want. IMO, if a dealer likes or dislikes, good or bad, information disseminated, they should use that in determining how they run their dealership

Back