What did you pay for your CX-5?

Don't let them pressure you. Plus you need to know the out the door price from both dealerships. Meaning, what fees are they tacking on top of the price they are quoting you? Have each dealership break it down. If there's anything surprising when you finally have a deal and are ready to sign, walk away.

Agreed. If you have an itemized quote from the first dealership, ask the second for a similarly itemized quote so you can compare.

As far as what to reply with when asked "If I can beat that price, will we have a deal?", I would personally respond with something like "Depending on the offer received, yes, we may have a deal. As long as there are no "hidden fees" or incentives tacked on to the offer price, I feel confident that we can move forward."

Keep in mind that regardless of what you say, you're well within your rights to do a complete 180 and walk away at any point in the sale, as long as you haven't signed anything. In fact, I would forward the offer you might be getting from dealer #2 back to dealer #1 just to see if you can negotiate them down even further. At some point, one of them will balk and say they can't match /beat it, and you just go back to the offer on the table.

So after I replied with, "I can't commit to a deal, since I don't know what the offer is." He came back with $32,000. One hundred dollars less than the first dealer's offer of $32,100. Haha. I can see he's probably mad I wouldn't commit, but it's funny.

1614281680627.png

The sales manager said " Do you see that 99 cents at the end of 37,907 ? " I wont even take that off. If you want, you take it at that price or leave it. It will be sold for sure "

Now that was some harshness ! I dont know if they are losing money on the Mazda or people are so gullible to buy from them. I cant judge ...

Can you ALL weigh in and tell me if 16% off MSRP as it states is a good deal..
Did you guys purchase in December 2020/19 and found better year end sales ?

Please weigh in with your thoughts. All input highly appreciated.

Last edited:
View attachment 295702

The sales manager said " Do you see that 99 cents at the end of 37,907 ? " I wont even take that off. If you want, you take it at that price or leave it. It will be sold for sure "

Now that was some harshness ! I dont know if they are losing money on the Mazda or people are so gullible to buy from them. I cant judge ...

Can you ALL weigh in and tell me if some like 16% off MSRP as it states is a good deal..

I would shop around to see if the $1000 in dealer fees is typical for your area. It's definitely not for mine.

Also, do you really want all the accessories they are charging you for? I wouldn't.

However, if this is the vehicle you want and there is no competition, well then you have to pay the price they are charging.

View attachment 295702

How is MSRP $40,550?

I purchased my 2018 CX-9 at the end of December 2017. At the time, I felt that it did help to buy at the end of the month. The entire process was pretty painless as everyone I was dealing with was up front with their quotes. Those who replied to my initial emails with "Come in so we can discuss in person" or "If you can agree to X price we have a deal" I just stopped communicating with - didn't need that hassle or the headache that would have come with it. I believe it took me 3 or 4 days total to work out a deal (I started negotiations around Christmas).

I personally wouldn't put too much stock in the "harsh" or direct way that he's talking. He's a salesman after all - most are like this in order to project this idea that they are in control of the deal (of course, you're the one with the money, so you're in control, haha). If you like the car, and you want it now, and nobody else is willing to match or beat the offer on the table, you might as well just go for it and enjoy the car.

Just be sure to take a demo model on a long test drive to ensure that it's the car you want.

View attachment 295702

It's a 12.3% dealer discount ($5000) + $1500 customer cash. It's a good deal even with the dealer fee. Whether or not the factory accessories are worth it is your call.

I checked within 100mi of that dealer and it's the only 2020 Signature left

We paid for our White 2021 Signature at the end of November, on 11/28/20 and you can see the pricing results here.

Everyone has a different market and different time and dealer environment when they buy.

I was able to solicit 6 or 7 dealers, whose web sites specified they had the car available in inventory. I told them I would purchase in two weeks time (which would be the end of the month), would take the lowest offered price for a specified car, white 2021 Signature, no accessories, 0.9% financing and Mazda Loyalty (for which you have to supply a current registration for a Mazda).

I had to check with all of the dealers, especially the Maryland dealers, to make sure I was getting what I asked for. Some offered 2020s, some offered blue, which costs $400 less, provided the non-finance discount of $1000 extra, or the military or veterans discounts, etc. Almost everyone had some sort of angle, such as good neighbor discount, touchless delivery, etc., and in the end the price always went up, except for one dealer. I ended up having the two lowest bid against each other.

Our car was not loaded with any accessories (I think I saw mats, lighted door sills, cargo cover, etc. in another of your posts)

I did that myself with what we wanted :), PPF and tint included, so I have spent way more...but that is another story...

>Mazda CX-5
>$40,550

Just think about that just a moment. That's a TON of money. I absolutely love my CX-5. But there's no way in Hell I'd ever pay that kind of cash for one. Ever.

^ Agree with this take.

I just bought a CX-5 ('19 GT AWD), and I like it a lot. At 25 out the door, I think it represents great value for money.

But 40k?* At that price point, I would just go buy something German instead. You can get a nice CPO X3 for that kind of money.

* I know it's the turbo. But, still.

^ Agree with this take.

I just bought a CX-5 ('19 GT AWD), and I like it a lot. At 25 out the door, I think it represents great value for money.

But 40k?* At that price point, I would just go buy something German instead. You can get a nice CPO X3 for that kind of money.

* I know it's the turbo. But, still.
How many miles? Obviously buying new and a higher trim level will add cost, but you also are buying something with ~20k more miles that will be at replacement age two years sooner.

Still, for a car that gets you from A to B, I agree you probably got a better value. But then again you could have bought a used Kia and spent less too.

1614305822756.png

I spoke to another dealer and he was quite candid and said that margins on Mazda CX-5 are less..You will not get 0% APR and dealer discounts together... Size of dealership, how many cars you can have in your holding from the manufacturer

The car sold out :( Its tough dealing virtually as compared to somebody walking into the local dealership and sign the deal. I was tied up getting freight quotes to get the car over...Anyway not the end of the world. I hope deals to come again in Dec 2021.

The highest MSRP I see for a 2020 is $41,120:

2020 CX5 SG
VIN: JM3KFBEY2L0753364

MSRP: $ 37,155
Destination Fee: $ 1,100

Individual Options:
CARGO MAT $100
ALL-WEATHER FLOOR MATS $125
ILLUMINATED DOORSILL TRIM PLATES $400
MACHINE GRAY PAINT CHARGE $300
REAR BUMPER GUARD $125
RETRACTABLE CARGO COVER $250
ROOF RACK, SIDE RAILS $400
TRAILER HITCH W/ HARNESS & COVER $450
WHEEL LOCKS $65

Total MSRP: $ 41,120*

2020 CX5 SG

Individual Options:
CARGO MAT $100
REAR BUMPER GUARD $125
WHEEL LOCKS $65

You can have a CX-9 GT for that kind of money.

2020 CX5 SG

Individual Options:
CARGO MAT $100
REAR BUMPER GUARD $125
WHEEL LOCKS $65

I generally like to shop for a lot of these extras myself. I may or may not save money, but for us, many such items are personals taste, and there may be other alternatives to the OEM parts, such as the much recommended Maxpider mats, or WeatherTech or Husky.

For example, on our 2014 CX5, we often ended up not using the retractable cargo cover, I have not gotten one for our 21 and have not missed it yet. I am also wondering if the $99 Chinese copy is worthwhile.

I so far love our $25 sport pedals from Amazon. Way better than the $150 or more charged by Mazda.

The illuminated doorsills seem silly, but I understand why some might like them. Our experience from our 2014 is the vinyl interior sills get more beat up than the painted area.

WeatherTech also sells PPF kits for cars, I think $99 for door cups, door sills and the maybe even the rear bumper. The door cups are definite area that needs protection from nails and rings.

Never trailered, and if I did get a hitch it would be a 2-inch Class 3 for the added versatility afforded for things like bike racks.

Last edited:
Back