What did you pay for your CX-5?

How much can I negotiate on this one? Please advice.

This is Classic Mazda in Orlando,FL

1614010369560.png

I don't think any 2020 MSRP was higher than the low $38ks...? I bought a '20 signature (not Soul Red, which adds a couple $) a year ago, and the MSRP was $38.1, including transport. So that "Market Value" seems like a scam, unless the car is full of port or dealer add-ons. Also, the dealer fee is a complete ripoff. I wouldn't pay more than 33 for a 2020 now, OTD except for the actual sales tax and state license fee.

I don't think any 2020 MSRP was higher than the low $38ks...? I bought a '20 signature (not Soul Red, which adds a couple $) a year ago, and the MSRP was $38.1, including transport. So that "Market Value" seems like a scam, unless the car is full of port or dealer add-ons. Also, the dealer fee is a complete ripoff. I wouldn't pay more than 33 for a 2020 now, OTD except for the actual sales tax and state license fee.
@onerpm What was the OTD or $$ you ended up paying in total for that?

2/22/2021: Current Mazda CX5 Signature MSRP is 38,680 according to Mazda USA. When I bought in November, MSRP was 38,505, bare bones, no mats, no locks, or other accessories. This includes Destination and Handling

Not sure what the $175 difference is...

It could be the February 1, 2021 price increase of $100 on the CX5 list prices + $75 increase on SUV Destination and Handling to $1,175, as I recall my D&H was $1,100.

If “Market Value” is MSRP (i .e., devoid of any bs “Market Adjustment” above MSRP), that is an excellent deal at 16% off.
13.6% of MSRP, but that's still excellent. You have to include the $799 DOC and $199 e-filing (never seen that but since it's in the sub total have to assume it's not a state or fed required fee. So those 2 items are actually part of the dealers selling price to you, and stays in his pocket/profit, ass opposed to being passed on the the state.

13.6% of MSRP, but that's still excellent. You have to include the $799 DOC and $199 e-filing (never seen that but since it's in the sub total have to assume it's not a state or fed required fee. So those 2 items are actually part of the dealers selling price to you, and stays in his pocket/profit, ass opposed to being passed on the the state.
Correct on the $799 DOC fee. The $199 e-filing fee might be a government title recording charge. Need more info to verify that.

The only "fees" that you should be paying are tax, title, and registration. Period, end of discussion, that's it. The "dealer fee" and "e-filing fee" and tire and battery fee are all horse crap.

There's a YouTube channel called "Kevin Hunter" that you really need to watch. The guy teaches you to buy a car, instead of being sold a car. And yes, there's a difference, a difference of thousands upon thousands of dollars.

Oh, by the way, not sure what state you're in, but in some states like GA, doc fees above and beyond the tax, title, and registrations are outright ILLEGAL! No lie! Oh sure, almost every single car lot in GA puts them into the sale, but that still doesn't make it not illegal. They get away with it because very few people do their homework before buying a car. If they refuse to remove it from the paperwork, you can call the State Dept of Consumer Affairs and get them into a heap of trouble. Check to see if your state has a similar law on the books.

The dealers know that it is the end of the quarter. The Mazda manufacturer incentives of $2000 on 2020 will expire 1/3/21. Who will buy a Mazda 2020 CX-5 which is priced same as 2021 CX-5. Yet they don't want to budge !!! They are so firm on their prices. I don't know how else to negotiate with them. They stuck to their guns at 38K or 37.5K customer total (OTD) (from a Dallas dealer) on a 2020 signature.

@Jcbutta @theblooms @hal2 @PaulZooms @Chas @onerpm - I think all of you are CX-5 owners. Would you suggest I buy a CX-5 signature 2020 now or should I wait until December to get a 2021 CX-5?
There is no emergency to buy a car right now, but if I found a deal I thought it was worthwhile to replace my 15 year old Toyota.

Please advice.

The dealers know that it is the end of the quarter. The Mazda manufacturer incentives of $2000 on 2020 will expire 1/3/21. Who will buy a Mazda 2020 CX-5 which is priced same as 2021 CX-5. Yet they don't want to budge !!! They are so firm on their prices. I don't know how else to negotiate with them. They stuck to their guns at 38K or 37.5K customer total (OTD) (from a Dallas dealer) on a 2020 signature.

@Jcbutta @theblooms @hal2 @PaulZooms @Chas @onerpm - I think all of you are CX-5 owners. Would you suggest I buy a CX-5 signature 2020 now or should I wait until December to get a 2021 CX-5?
There is no emergency to buy a car right now, but if I found a deal I thought it was worthwhile to replace my 15 year old Toyota.

Please advice.
For me, the 2021 is worth it just for the new entertainment system alone. The screen itself is great, 10.25 widescreen format, cleaner graphics, faster response from what I remember from my 2016 Mazda6 (now departed). We bought our 2021 in November, and a brief comparison with 2020s was all it took to say we are getting the 2021, even if mechanically, they were seemingly identical

This is what I got from their sales manager. He justified his decision , not to reduce the price from 38K on 2020 signature Is this a fact or just fluff?

James Vella​

11:28 AM (38 minutes ago)

to me

We are one of the largest volume Mazda dealers in the country for a very good reason. We give huge discounts upfront and have the vehicles in inventory.

Every year we order an extra 200 CX5''s in the 4th quarter knowing many dealers try to be sold out at the end of the calendar year.

We then can offer great deals along with Mazda incentives and sell everyone . We started with 30 2020 CX5''s and are down to our last ones and comfortable it will be sold by the end of the month.

We have 500 New Mazda's in stock which you can easily see on our website. Hopefully this gives you a better understanding of how we operate.

Respectfully,
James Vella
Classic Mazda
Sales Manager

Unfortunately I think you have to take it for what it's worth. He could be lying or he could be telling the truth - no way to find out for sure.

If it were me I think I'd just hold off. No rush if you don't need a car right away.

That Signature has quite a few factory options and that's why it's a little higher than the base MSRP. The price they quoted you is also $500 less than what they show on their site. Other that that crazy "dealer fee," $34,050 + TTL is a good deal

Individual Options:
spacer.gif
ALL-WEATHER FLOOR MATS
$125​
spacer.gif
ILLUMINATED DOORSILL TRIM PLATES
$400​
spacer.gif
SOUL RED CRYSTAL PAINT CHARGE
$595​
spacer.gif
REAR BUMPER GUARD
$125​
spacer.gif
ROOF RACK, SIDE RAILS
$400​
spacer.gif
FRONT &REAR BUMPER TRIM PKG
$650​
spacer.gif

This is what I got from their sales manager. He justified his decision , not to reduce the price from 38K on 2020 signature Is this a fact or just fluff?

James Vella​

11:28 AM (38 minutes ago)
to me

We are one of the largest volume Mazda dealers in the country for a very good reason. We give huge discounts upfront and have the vehicles in inventory.

Every year we order an extra 200 CX5''s in the 4th quarter knowing many dealers try to be sold out at the end of the calendar year.

We then can offer great deals along with Mazda incentives and sell everyone . We started with 30 2020 CX5''s and are down to our last ones and comfortable it will be sold by the end of the month.

We have 500 New Mazda's in stock which you can easily see on our website. Hopefully this gives you a better understanding of how we operate.

Respectfully,
James Vella
Classic Mazda
Sales Manager
The question you should answer, is what do you want to pay for a 2020? There will always be money left on the table. Just stay in control.

It also seems as if you're going about the email process a little too politely. Salesmen prey on a captive audience. If I were to go the email route, I would email as many dealers as I could find in a specific area that have a vehicle I'm interested in. The email would just state that I'm interested in vehicle "X" and say I'm purchasing within a week. Then explain your tactic and ask for their best and final offer. If they respond with saying you need to call, just ignore that dealer.

The question you should answer, is what do you want to pay for a 2020? There will always be money left on the table. Just stay in control.

It also seems as if you're going about the email process a little too politely. Salesmen prey on a captive audience. If I were to go the email route, I would email as many dealers as I could find in a specific area that have a vehicle I'm interested in. The email would just state that I'm interested in vehicle "X" and say I'm purchasing within a week. Then explain your tactic and ask for their best and final offer. If they respond with saying you need to call, just ignore that dealer.
@Sig cx-5 Thank you . That was a very good piece of advice. I have been too polite with them as its been more than a decade since I haggled over a vehicle price.

Last edited:
@Sig cx-5 Thank you . That was a very good piece of advice. I have been too polite with them as its been more than a decade since I haggled over a vehicle price.
You have to ask yourself what you want to pay and why you decided on that number. When I first looked at that dealers site earlier today they had four 2020 models available; now they have three. At $5000-$6500 off of msrp, someone will buy them

Back