What did you pay for your CX-5?

Which means more to you - the newer infotainment system or the turbo engine?
I bought a 2016 soul red CX5-GT for $20,000 Canadian and it only had 20,000 kms on it. 😊 I am really loving it and also loving the fact I have practically the same car (low low kms) for 20 grand less than a brand new one would have cost me. Although I do love the newer heads up display I found out I can get an Apple play retrofit kit for about 500 bucks installed. Before this car I drove a minivan for 10 years so I have to say this is the best car I’ve ever owned!

Which means more to you - the newer infotainment system or the turbo engine?
I guess that is the question, as both would be major upgrades for me. Looking for any input from those who have already upgraded to 20/21s. The actual size of the screen is not a huge issue for me, but rather how much has this update improved its flaws?
Turbo alone probably means more, but in this case it's: an updated infotainment + a year newer... if it ever came to resell value. Thanks.

I would list out the differences and make the trades. We did this with the Signature and GT Reserve and a few features tripped it over for my wife to go Sig.

Regarding 20 vs 21, the new infotainment was the factor to go 21. It is much improved since 2016 Mazda6 I had and worth the upgrade from 2020 just for readability alone.

2020 Grand Touring Reserve
MSRP - $36,435
Sale price - $32,950
Incentive/loyalty - $2,250
TOTAL - $30,700
OTD - $33,134.85

Purchased on 12/28/2020 (From out of state dealership)

Never stepped foot inside the dealership. The easiest vehicle transaction that I have ever encountered.

What were the incentives?
I will let the @Jcbutta reply, but in November 2020, I was always given $1,750 in incentives to lower the price....
  • $1000 sales incentive for cash on a 2021. This went away if you opted for the 0.9% financing with Toyota Motor Acceptance Corporation. (Mazda transitioned over from Chase to TMAC) thus resulting in a OTD price increase even though I specified I wanted the 0.9% finance
  • $750 loyalty incentive for Mazda owner, I had to bring in current registration of the Mazda we owned so they could copy and get the incentive approved by Mazda
  • Often another $1000 was thrown in (even though I was clear I did not qualify)
    • $500 military incentive
    • $500 veterans incentive
  • Depending on the dealer, other discounts were thrown in to lower the OTD price including such made up offers as
    • $1000-2000 dealer discount (which often included the incentives mentioned above)
    • $500 neighborhood discount (living within 15 miles of the dealership) and
    • $1000 in free service (so you did not actually get that in the price, but you collect later on...they just counted in the price...so many tricks to get you to engage with them)

New CX5 Reserve with extra cost gray paint. OTD cost was $35,716. I took window MSRP and subtracted 7% and worked on the prep set up and extra fees. Ed $750 incentive included

Last edited:
New CX5 Reserve with extra cost gray paint. OTD cost was $35,716. I took window MSRP and subtracted 7% and worked on the prep set up and extra fees. Ed $750 incentive included
Congrats on the new rig.

May you have many years of reliable enjoyment from the 2.5T!

Oh you got a new one? Congrats.

What did you do with your 2014?

I traded my 2014 in to the dealer for 10K. Someone will get a very nice well maintained 65K miles touring with Bose sunroof. I paid $34,298 or 7% below MSRP+ Fees license registration state sales tax, county sales tax.

I traded my 2014 in to the dealer for 10K. Someone will get a very nice well maintained 65K miles touring with Bose sunroof. I paid $34,298 or 7% below MSRP+ Fees license registration state sales tax, county sales tax.
Yeah that will be a great used vehicle for someone. And only 65k miles too. Inching closer to 100k on mine.

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking the forum for a while, and now I've decided to purchase a new 2021 Mazda CX-5 touring Machine Grey Metallic (Interior Black) without prefered package. I want to try to get the best possible deal. I'm located in West Palm Beach, FL. There are three mazda dealers around me. What out the door price should I try to aim for?

This below is an internet price I found for the specific car I want at one of the dealers, which of course I know is before taxes and fees, etc.

MSRP$28,605
DEALER DISCOUNTS$1,831
INTERNET PRICE$26,774
Charges $999 document fee (dealership fees)

I've looked at truecar.com too, are the prices people paid nearby they show accurate?

These florida dealership fees are outrageous. The one I mentioned above charges $999!! Another one I looked at near me charges $899!

Yes, FL has the highest DOC fees. Generally you can't negotiate them, they use standard language like, "even my mom would have to pay it, see, it's pre-printed on the sales contract". What you can do is maybe negotiate the price of the car lower before it. Gosh I love the 80's where if you turned to walk out the door they would stop you before you left, or be calling you within 5 minutes after you got home.

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking the forum for a while, and now I've decided to purchase a new 2021 Mazda CX-5 touring Machine Grey Metallic (Interior Black) without prefered package. I want to try to get the best possible deal. I'm located in West Palm Beach, FL. There are three mazda dealers around me. What out the door price should I try to aim for?

This below is an internet price I found for the specific car I want at one of the dealers, which of course I know is before taxes and fees, etc.

MSRP$28,605
DEALER DISCOUNTS$1,831
INTERNET PRICE$26,774

I've looked at truecar.com too, are the prices people paid nearby they show accurate?

These florida dealership fees are outrageous. The one I mentioned above charges $999!! Another one I looked at near me charges $899!
You should aim for the lowest price a dealer is willing to give you. The best way to do that is to get them bidding against each other. The more dealers you get involved the better. There are 10 dealerships within a 1.5 hour drive from you. Just fill out the inquiry form at each dealer that has the specific specs you want and ask them what the best otd price is they can do. Once you have the lowest number from those responses, send that number to whoever was highest and see if he's willing to beat it. Wash, rinse, repeat until you get to a number you're happy with or you've only got one dealer left in the game. I did this all over text and email for my red 21 touring w/pp and paid $24,750 (excluding taxes, which I'm handling myself).

I picked up a 2017 GT with 38k miles for $18,800 before TTL. It was the cheapest car with a full service history that I could find in my area.

You should aim for the lowest price a dealer is willing to give you. The best way to do that is to get them bidding against each other. The more dealers you get involved the better. There are 10 dealerships within a 1.5 hour drive from you. Just fill out the inquiry form at each dealer that has the specific specs you want and ask them what the best otd price is they can do. Once you have the lowest number from those responses, send that number to whoever was highest and see if he's willing to beat it. Wash, rinse, repeat until you get to a number you're happy with or you've only got one dealer left in the game. I did this all over text and email for my red 21 touring w/pp and paid $24,750 (excluding taxes, which I'm handling myself).
Agree with you approach except for:
Once you have the lowest number from those responses, send that number to ALL THE OTHER dealers and see if he's willing to beat it.

Hello everyone,

MSRP$28,605
DEALER DISCOUNTS$1,831
INTERNET PRICE$26,774

Thats why I decided to look out of state. Bought a new 2020 GTR In Illinois. $300 doc fee and price of the car MUCH lower than anyone in Florida. Came out ahead, even with transportation fees.

Agree with you approach except for:
Once you have the lowest number from those responses, send that number to ALL THE OTHER dealers and see if he's willing to beat it.
I thought about that route, too, but I went with my method for two reasons:
1) It's less work. In Nina's scenario she'd only have to contact one dealer after she got her low number instead of 9.
2) I think most dealers are going to tap out after 2 or 3 rounds, so waiting until you have the lowest new number possible before hitting up an individual dealer again would seem to be advantageous.

Back