What did you pay for your CX-5?

I finally pulled the trigger on a '20 Signature in Eternal Blue Mica. I don't have all the figures in front of me, but I paid $4,002 under MSRP, not including TTL. That included $750 owner loyalty, 0% financing and no trade-in. I may have been able to go lower, but it was only 1 of 2 in the country in that color w/ roof rails, and the dealer knew it. The other one was 1,748 mi away.

Well - too late now, but you know that roof rails are an accessory item, right? Dealer install, or even DIY.
I suspected that, but there were only 2 non roof rail cars in the country. The closest one being 6 hours away. Signature inventory has really been drying up in the midwest.

Last edited:
Hi all, this is my first post to this board and I'm very happy to join the group of Mazda owners.

Just bought a Certified Pre-Owned 2019 CX-5 Signature yesterday after doing research and due diligence on the competitive group for mid-size SUVs. The car had just over 6k miles, and is fully loaded (see the photo of the window sticker from the car when it was new, showing original MSRP of $40k). It was previously a Mazda Corp. vehicle registered to Mazda in Irvine, CA.

We paid just under $32.5k, which came to a little over $36k with TTL and $85 doc fee. Couldn't get them to drop the price any lower, but I did get a full set of all-weather floor mats and a cargo area liner thrown in, so that's something :~) Though I always think I could have negotiated more and harder, we're happy with the deal, especially since the car looks and feels new and the warranty is effectively the same as the new car warranty when you add in the extra year of coverage from the CPO program.

2019 CX-5 lowres.jpg

The car had just over 6k miles, and is fully loaded (see the photo of the window sticker from the car when it was new, showing original MSRP of $40k). It was previously a Mazda Corp. vehicle registered to Mazda in Irvine, CA.

That was most likely a press car that was loaned to a different journalist each week for them to beat the snot out of. On the plus side, it was well-tested! :)

Last edited:
I doubt it, it's equipped with the factory hitch, Mazda press cars (at least in the U.S.) are rarely/never equipped with that. Haven't seen any with it in Car and Driver or Motor Trend.

That was most likely a press car that was loaned to a different journalist each week for them to beat the snot out of. On the plus side, it was well-tested! :)

I wondered about that, but I looked at a lot of CX-5 reviews and didn't see anything like it listed in any of them as the test vehicle. Either way, in the end, I'm not particularly worried about it as the warranty is still in effect :~)

I suspected that, but there were only 2 non roof rail cars in the country. The closest one being 6 hours away. Signature inventory has really been drying up in the midwest.
If the roof rails are listed in your Mazda factory window sticker, they’re installed at the port, and included with 3-year / 36,000-mile new car warranty.

I finally pulled the trigger on a '20 Signature in Eternal Blue Mica. I don't have all the figures in front of me, but I paid $4,002 under MSRP, not including TTL. That included $750 owner loyalty, 0% financing and no trade-in. I may have been able to go lower, but it was only 1 of 2 in the country in that color w/ roof rails, and the dealer knew it. The other one was 1,748 mi away.

Hi all, this is my first post to this board and I'm very happy to join the group of Mazda owners.

Just bought a Certified Pre-Owned 2019 CX-5 Signature yesterday after doing research and due diligence on the competitive group for mid-size SUVs. The car had just over 6k miles, and is fully loaded (see the photo of the window sticker from the car when it was new, showing original MSRP of $40k). It was previously a Mazda Corp. vehicle registered to Mazda in Irvine, CA.

Congrats on the new cars! And welcome to the boards seralat 👋

Do we want to be honest or nice.....? On Miata.net we are respectful but honest - which sometimes hurts someone's feelings

Do we want to be honest or nice.....? On Miata.net we are respectful but honest - which sometimes hurts someone's feelings

Being honest is a very effective way of educating buyers so they learn and do better next time. If a buyer who overpaid gets coddled and receives nothing but congratulations, they'll never know how many thousands they could have saved. I've been buying and helping friends, family members, and co-workers buy automobiles for decades. I've been asked to leave a few dealerships. I've seen people actually get fair deals, but that's rare. Most of the time, people overpay and still think they got a fair deal or grossly overpay and bury their head in the sand. :)

$32,500 seems high for a 2020 used signature. Considering that's what some of us paid for it new. However, you are getting a longer warranty with your CPO, so there's that. People can take post 6383 of this thread into their dealer to try to get a better price. Personally, I've never understood those who said they could have gotten a better price but didn't want to bother. Really? I don't know about you, but I don't make $3OO, $400 or $500 a day, so it's worth it for my time, YMMV. The problem is, if you've already told them you're buying the car and you ask them "is that the best you can do", what do you think they're going to say?. you have to go with them with a price, tell them you're ready to buy it at that price, otherwise you'll have to go home and think about it

Last edited:
Howdy,

First Mazda, I got a 2020 CX5 Touring in gunmetal grey and preferred package. The caveat here is I am okay with an imperfect car and took a discount for Hail damage which I found acceptable.

0% APR for 60 months, I focused on the OTD price and less on reducing fees in negotiations.

MSRP29,450
Mazda rebate1,000
Hail Discount /2,142
Other Discounts1,393
Price after Discounts24,915
Taxes1,463
Fees427
OTD26,806

Hope I got a good deal but in the grand scheme I am happy with the price I ended up paying. Glad to be in the Mazda club!

Attached photo of the 'Bad side' of the car.

Attachments

• IMG_1857.jpg
    IMG_1857.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:

Nothing stops you from being all of those things. Feelings get hurt when tone is misinterpreted - happens all the time. Inevitably, people will be defensive when they misinterpret the tone, so it just comes down to members respecting each other's opinions.

If you think someone overpaid, voice your opinion, that's what this thread is for. If someone disagrees, you defend your position (if you care to), and then they respond. Throughout the whole exchange, you can be honest, nice, and respectful.

First time working with a Mazda dealer so looking for honest opinions on this price.
2020 CX-5 Signature, snowflake white, roof rails
MSRP $38,855
Price $36,306 + tax

Dealer also said there was $500 APR cash + 0.0% for 60 months

First time working with a Mazda dealer so looking for honest opinions on this price.
2020 CX-5 Signature, snowflake white, roof rails
MSRP $38,855
Price $36,306 + tax

Dealer also said there was $500 APR cash + 0.0% for 60 months

That's 7.8% below MSRP assuming there's no "doc fee" or other markups added to the $36,306. Some of us have managed 14-15% off MSRP within the last couple of months. Most of the big rebates that automakers were offering a couple of months ago (including Mazda) have since expired.

Thanks for the feedback. Signatures are non-existent in the Southeast right now. I’m guessing pricing won’t change much until supply improves. I’m tempted by the 0% APR offer now, but might be better off waiting for supply.

Finally pulled the trigger on 2020 CX5 sig model. Did a lot of research and really like this car so far.

MSRP: $38,455
Selling price: 33,000 (after $1500 Mazda cash rebates+ $500 Holiday cash rebate) ~ 14% off.
Cash option since 0% APR is $1000 more expensive.
Doc: $85
Taxes: $3,123
OTD: 36, 800

Feel like there is not much negotiation room for CX5, not like other OEMs.

That $33k is a good price, and other than that doc fee which is very reasonable, all those other charges are just part of the sale so I never count those. Good going, I'm sure you'll make others jealous with that 33000 price.

My take on pricing. - I'll start at the end.... If you got a car you like, at a price you're happy with, then a month from now you won't notice whether the car cost you $400 more or less one way or the other. That said........

I noticed a lot of people "happy' with their price who didn't want the 'hassle' of trying for a better price. Here's the truth - the dealer KNOWS that you want a car more than you think he wants to sell you one. In reality, he needs to sell a car more than you need to buy one. The problem is this - if you woke up on a Saturday, drove 30 minutes to (and from) his dealership, parked your car, went inside (dreading) to see a salesman, talked about his inventory for 30 minutes, spent 30 minutes looking at the car, then another 15 minutes driving it, then he KNOWS you want to buy a car and that $500 - $1,500 isn't going to stand in your way. But it's still the truth that he needs the sale more than you need the car. And if you're accepting anything close to his offer, they still have hundreds left to negotiate.

Now, you'll drive 30 minutes across town (and 30 minutes back) to get that $1,600 big screen TV on sale somewhere for $1,300. - there's an hour of your time to save $300, great, I'd do the same. But you won't spend another hour to get your car for $300 less?

Wait, I know what you're thinking. Hey, $300 off a $1,600 TV is almost 20%, but $300 off a $30,000 car is only 1% so in the scheme of things it's no big deal. - WRONG. Either was it's $300 bucks in your pocket.

I've actually bought most of my cars by phone. A simple "If you can sell me the car $XX,XXX I'll be in there tonight. If not, I respect that but will have to think about it for a day or two" Trust me, if it's a price they sell it for you for they won't try to get that extra $300 out of you because they know that in 2 days you may not want it anymore. When you're in the showroom they know you want the car and aren't going to walk away over $300. By the time you start negotiating he already know you're going to buy the car. So it has to be a firm, "I'll buy it right now for this price, otherwise I have to go home and think about it" Again, trust me, he know if you walk out (in my case say goodbye on the phone) his odds of selling a car has gone down.

A final note, if people here are buying new Signatures for $33,000, then you can too. And there's no headache of 'haggling'. Just say that $XX,000 is what you 'll pay today. And don't fall for that "well we already installed the anti-theft etching and paint/fabric protection BS. Call his bluff and tell him to call you when they get a new car off the truck that doesn't have it yet - They can easily see what's coming off the boat in the next month.

Last edited:
Back