What did you pay for your CX-5?

I believe some mazda dealers are offering 1-1.5k off if you do not take the 0% financing and finance at a higher percentage instead

I believe some mazda dealers are offering 1-1.5k off if you do not take the 0% financing and finance at a higher percentage instead

Yup, this^. Or don't use their financing at all
And it doesn't appear on the invoice as a rebate, but it is reflected in the top line sales price

Ex-Honda guy here. I bought 11 new Hondas from 2006 to 2018. Five of those were Ridgelines. Here's why I'm no longer a Honda owner...

Incredible story but not unexpected from Honda. Of the holy Trinity of Japanese brands I rank Honda as the hardest to deal with compared to Mazda and Toyota. The good thing is one can rotate among these three (or Subaru if you're feeling fancy) and have a flatline of value and reliability. Just out of curiousness how many models did you try with Honda? I've only had Accords and they were great.

Just out of curiousness how many models did you try with Honda?

11 from 2006 to 2018.

2006 Accord EX-L - no problems
2007 Ridgeline RTL - no problems
2009 Civic EX - no problems
2010 Ridgeline RTL - starter failed around 40K
2014 Ridgeline SE - no problems
2016 CR-V Touring - no problems
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E - engine knock, steering creak, paint and trim defects
2017 Civic Si - no problems
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T - hood vibration, warped defroster grille, autonomous braking and cruise control would stop working, rattle in rear package tray, harsh 1-2 shifts, fuel odor
2019 RDX - severe cold engine vibration, harsh 2-3 shifts, plethora of infotainment bugs, optical distortions in windshield
2019 Ridgeline RTL-E - transmission failed at 14K, water leaks inside rear window, fuel odor, brake pulsation, leather defect, poorly stamped hood, protruding sunroof gasket, door rattle with bass, hood insulator fell, pop from sliding rear window when driving over uneven surfaces, creak when turning steering wheel, infotainment system freezes, front suspension rattle, one of the two horns was weak, false forward collision warnings

As you can see, my Honda experience started off great, but started going downhill after 2016.

And it doesn't appear on the invoice as a rebate, but it is reflected in the top line sales price

That falls in line what my experience, and the way they give the breakdown doesn't call that out at all. It just shows as a difference on the 'sales price'.

I'll be reaching out to my CU to see about refinancing, 3.9% -> 3.25% isn't huge but still nothing to sneeze at.

Yes same for us. Mazda got us financed thru a local CU at 1.9% to qualify for the $1500. The discounts were confusing for me as well. $3000 rebates that the told us were loyalty, health care, and what they called "basically employee pricing" then the extra for not taking the 0% i believe came out of the sale price but same thing here; none of it was broken down for us. In the end the final sale price number was what we wanted to i didn't fret about it too much.

Jack

Anyway, you've seen in post #6409 and #6383 that you can get the Signature can be sold for $33,118 and $32,495 depending on which discounts you qualify for. (I don't count TTL as they vary by state)

Excellent work @hal2. Those extras were crazy priced but your sale price was solid. I was thinking the price point I should be working on for a GT-R would be around $32,000 before TTL. But if you are getting a Signature for that price I guess I should be shooting lower.

Last edited:
Kornik - I know where you're coming from. I'm in the same shoes as you are! :p
I was in the same situation and the pandemic is going on and my Husband just passed away. Life goes on. Problem we have is that there is no other that compares to the CX-5.

Interestingly, the more I look at the RDX the less I'm impressed by the styling. I wasn't diggin'g the electronic shifter and I definitley didn't like the infotainment touch pad. I know the CX-5 gets knocked for having an outdated Info system, but it seems easy to navigate, at least for me.

zroger73, the RDX is that bad? I'm considering the new 2020.

Some of the issues I had with my 2019 RDX have since been addressed. Overall, there seems to be more complaints about more issues on the RDX forums than the CX-5 forums. Most of the complaints have to do with rattles, ongoing infotainment system issues despite multiple software updates, and the engine occasionally going into "limp mode" requiring a restart. Honda's 10-speed automatic transmission, while smart and quick, is one of the harsher transmissions out there when shifting between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. There are more paint and trim issues overall with Honda/Acura than Mazda. And, at least a few RDX owners have complained about the passenger airbag being disabled when their ~100 lb. wives are in the passenger's seat. Acura continues to deny there is a problem and refuses to do anything about it. One owner was successful in getting a buyback, but only after hiring and attorney and waiting over a year.

Interestingly, the more I look at the RDX the less I'm impressed by the styling. I wasn't diggin'g the electronic shifter and I definitley didn't like the infotainment touch pad. I know the CX-5 gets knocked for having an outdated Info system, but it seems easy to navigate, at least for me.

Styling is so subjective, so I hate to comment too much on it. Some may like the more complex, chrome-dressed exterior of the RDX while some may prefer the simpler, smoother design of the CX-5. I've had a few electronic shifters, so they don't bother me. The RDX and forthcoming TLX's True Touchpad Interface was certainly different when it was introduced and after having lived with it for several months, I think that's how ALL such interfaces should work. Touch screens are distracting and less precise while in motion and rotary knobs take longer to accomplish your task. The 1:1 mapping of a touchpad with a screen just makes sense to me. I've had vehicles virtually every type of interface on the market and despite the CX-5's dated graphics, it has most all of the core functionality of newer systems. I certainly don't dread using it and appreciate the consistency of operation between my CX-5 and MX-5.

To tell you the truth, the only SUV that I like, is the Alfa Romeo Stelvio, but they have supply issues, not much left at the dealerships to choose from, and also it is an Italian car(quality is ?). Storage is less than in my Mazda as well.
I'm not a fan of the current CX5 design.
The RDX, seems like has some things going for it. Quite a lot of standard features, even in the base model, it is a Honda and not to bad looking.
I guess, I will have to research more, but I don't see anything that I like.
I have to many issues with my CX5. Though, I still enjoy driving it.

To tell you the truth, the only SUV that I like, is the Alfa Romeo Stelvio, but they have supply issues, not much left at the dealerships to choose from, and also it is an Italian car(quality is ?). Storage is less than in my Mazda as well.
I'm not a fan of the current CX5 design.
The RDX, seems like has some things going for it. Quite a lot of standard features, even in the base model, it is a Honda and not to bad looking.
I guess, I will have to research more, but I don't see anything that I like.
I have to many issues with my CX5. Though, I still enjoy driving it.

As long you don't keep it past the warranty period and there's a dealer that's conveniently close for warranty repairs, buy that Stelvio and enjoy it! It's stylish, feels nice, handles well, and stands out in the sea of run-of-the-mill SUVs.

The RDX is a reasonable value, but Honda and particularly Acura are no longer a quality leaders like they used to be. If you think your CX-5 has problems, you might want to set your sights even lower for Honda/Acura.

Thanks for that. An Italian car, is better than a Honda/Acura? That sounds weird.

Better in what way? Some may find the Stelvio more stylish with a nicer interior. They may prefer the driving dynamics of rear-wheel drive. They may prefer the richer exhaust sound. In those ways, the Stelvio may be "better" than a Honda/Acura product to some drivers.

However, if you're looking for better resale value or better reliability, a Honda/Acura may be the "better" choice. Still, don't expect a Honda/Acura to be as reliable as a Mazda, Toyota, or even a Hyundai at this time.

Help for buyers find their perfect car

My Mazda CX 5 is certified and my problem is the seat hurts my back. This is major for me as it hits on my tail bone. Using a cushion but still hurts. Still working on it. Seems like this is a problem common to this model. The car is a delight to drive.

I have the cx5 2017 and really like the info system. Very user friendly.

Better in what way? Some may find the Stelvio more stylish with a nicer interior. They may prefer the driving dynamics of rear-wheel drive. They may prefer the richer exhaust sound. In those ways, the Stelvio may be "better" than a Honda/Acura product to some drivers.

However, if you're looking for better resale value or better reliability, a Honda/Acura may be the "better" choice. Still, don't expect a Honda/Acura to be as reliable as a Mazda, Toyota, or even a Hyundai at this time.
Reliability wise I'm worried. For me, looks and how it drives is number 1 & 2, then the rest, but still, I don't want to buy a car, that has a lot of issues.

Back