What did you pay for your CX-5?

First-time buyer here. So learning the ropes as I read through past msgs

Can someone confirm if my thought process - step by step, from 1) through 4)) is correct?
The below info is based on the bits and pieces I have read in this thread.
I welcome any corrections.

1) My base assumption of MSRP for each model year
Year 2020: $33895 (assuming $31170 + $1100 destination fee and $1625 PP)
Year 2021: $35685 (assuming $32960 + $1100 destination fee and $1625 PP)

Assuming I am correct that MSRP is the sum of car price + destination fee + PP, then am i right i should target getting a sale price that is
- $4200 (12%) off MSRP for year 2020 model
- $5000 (15%) off MSRP year 2021 model?

2) Then second step, is for them to apply the Mazda rebate or dealer related rebate. This is the second round of 'discount' off that is not accounted for as part of the x% discount off MSRP. I think there's a $1500 cash rebate right now for the year 2020 model, but not for the year 2021 model.

3) Now, I have to add on doc fee and reg/title fee, which I believe are fairly standard across board. Looking at several quotes, I believe these should be around $700-800 total?

4) And then at the final step, I add sales tax (10% for WA state) on top of the total figure, right?

Location is Seattle metro area (but exploring as far as 1h away for lower price). If any PNWer has any datapoints to share on the quotes you got recently, i am happy to hear!

p/s And yes, i know I should be aware of the dealer added unnecessary stuff (tinted windows, roof rail blah) such that it end up canceling out all the discount i got earlier in 1) and 2). Let's assume none of this happened.

First-time buyer here. So learning the ropes as I read through past msgs

Can someone confirm if my thought process - step by step, from 1) through 4)) is correct?
The below info is based on the bits and pieces I have read in this thread.
I welcome any corrections.

1) My base assumption of MSRP for each model year
Year 2020: $33895 (assuming $31170 + $1100 destination fee and $1625 PP)
Year 2021: $35685 (assuming $32960 + $1100 destination fee and $1625 PP)

Assuming I am correct that MSRP is the sum of car price + destination fee + PP, then am i right i should target getting a sale price that is
- $4200 (12%) off MSRP for year 2020 model
- $5000 (15%) off MSRP year 2021 model?

2) Then second step, is for them to apply the Mazda rebate or dealer related rebate. This is the second round of 'discount' off that is not accounted for as part of the x% discount off MSRP. I think there's a $1500 cash rebate right now for the year 2020 model, but not for the year 2021 model.

3) Now, I have to add on doc fee and reg/title fee, which I believe are fairly standard across board. Looking at several quotes, I believe these should be around $700-800 total?

4) And then at the final step, I add sales tax (10% for WA state) on top of the total figure, right?

Location is Seattle metro area (but exploring as far as 1h away for lower price). If any PNWer has any datapoints to share on the quotes you got recently, i am happy to hear!

p/s And yes, i know I should be aware of the dealer added unnecessary stuff (tinted windows, roof rail blah) such that it end up canceling out all the discount i got earlier in 1) and 2). Let's assume none of this happened.

It helps to know what model you are looking to buy

Maybe I missed it in the thread, who was able to get 15% off MSRP on a '21?

In looking at a '20 Signature model, no dealer in the Seattle area would do more than 6.7% off MSRP. For a '21 I got a bigger % off, but no where near 15%.

Go here to Mazda's site and configure the CX-5 the way your want. That will tell you the MSRP including all options + destination fee.

Your gov't related fees will run $650-700, with some places charging another $150 on top of that for doc fees.

Sales tax will be a tad over 10%, truly around 10.7%.

I'll PM you with the info on the people I dealt with at Mazda Of Everett, the dealer I went with. I can highly recommend them for their interactions as well as pricing.

i wrote a long winding message and forget to write the most crucial info:rolleyes:

the CX-5 model i am looking at is GT, with PP

sorry, just realized my typo. i reversed the %.
i meant 15% off year 2020 model and 12% off year 2021 model. i think 12% off is ambitious, but i believe someone at Boston (post #7081) got that figure or close to that.

My final deal that I took for a 2021 AWD GT /w PP in Black is updated below in Mass. I negotiated with 13 dealerships in Mass and NH. This was the lowest I was able to get after 2 weeks of haggle for an end of month deal. It was very tough to get folks to come down on this years model. I would say if you are really looking for a >12% off deal, go for a 2020 model. They are making crazy deals on that year. Each dealer offered me 13% to 16% off on 2020s, but I wanted the new infotainment and screen size, :D. I was able to get them to add all weather mats and splash guards front and back at no cost to me which is not represented in the MSRP 60+60+125 = 245. Almost 11% off all things considered.

After watching Kevin Hunter and Your Auto Advocate videos, I just implemented their advice. As a first time car buyer I feel I did okay for a model year with so many 2020s still on the lots I shopped at. FWIW I did not make any offers until I started to feel a dealer would not go lower just to see if they would do my dream deal of 13% off on a 2021.

MSRP: 34,650
Selling Price: 31,000
Doc Fee: 499
Tax: 1968.69
Inspec Sticker 35
Reg Fee: 60
Title Fee: 75

Final: 33,637.69

Looks like you did great. Wanna find me a '21 GTR @ 12% off next?

I see that they have updated the 2021 incentives. Now 0.9% financing for up to 60 months, and no payments for 90 days. Still no cash back deals.

Mark

I am in the market for a CX-5. Should I treat military discount and loyalty discount independent of my negotiation? As in negotiate the car as if I don’t qualify for those incentives and then once a price is settle, bring them up?

2021 GTR MSRP $37,570, $2,366 dealer discount, $1,000 dealer engagement rebate. $34,204 before tax and fees. I bought from a high volume dealer that gets a lot of bonus' from Mazda. Plus three other dealers had GTR's in Machine Grey.

Is this a Mazda only dealer or a multi-make dealer?

I am in Houston, TX and looking to buy a new 2020 CX-5 GTR in Machine Gray (MSRP ~$37k). Is $32k before TT&L a good deal? Thank you for your input.

I am in Houston, TX and looking to buy a new 2020 CX-5 GTR in Machine Gray (MSRP ~$37k). Is $32k before TT&L a good deal? Thank you for your input.
13.5 % off MSRP is great deal. Now watch out for your OTD pricing. I bought my CX5 in 2016, My Price was 23911 with 25800 (EXACT) as OTD since I negotiated on OTD, that should give you an idea about TTL that you should be looking for. Also I got stickers good for 2 years in TX when I bought new. So it is a good deal - provided they don't add 600 dollars for documentation. I think your OTD should be around 34.5K.

I just received the following quote for a 2021 CX-5 GT lease in NJ. I know it's horrible, but can someone help me understand how horrible it is? First time car buyer here (managed to avoid buying a car until my late 20s) so I'm very much new to the process.

$5000 down, $239 for 33 months
$2k in taxes
$390 doc fee
$480 in license/title fee
10k miles per year

Have you thought about financing option? Adding up all those lease costs it's $470 per month for 33 months.
If you finance the '21 GT at the advertised 0.9/60 mo it would cost over a $100 a month more.

The pluses are you wouldn't pay for lease mileage over the 10k and wouldn't need to fork over $5k from day 1. It'd be spread into the monthly payments.

I just received the following quote for a 2021 CX-5 GT lease in NJ. I know it's horrible, but can someone help me understand how horrible it is? First time car buyer here (managed to avoid buying a car until my late 20s) so I'm very much new to the process.

$5000 down, $239 for 33 months
$2k in taxes
$390 doc fee
$480 in license/title fee
10k miles per year

Have you thought about financing option? Adding up all those lease costs it's $470 per month for 33 months.
If you finance the '21 GT at the advertised 0.9/60 mo it would cost over a $100 a month more.

The pluses are you wouldn't pay for lease mileage over the 10k and wouldn't need to fork over $5k from day 1. It'd be spread into the monthly payments.
I have thought about it, but I feel that I would prefer to get a new car in a few years time. Are these numbers decent, especially if I have no plan to buy at the end of the lease?

I have thought about it, but I feel that I would prefer to get a new car in a few years time. Are these numbers decent, especially if I have no plan to buy at the end of the lease?
I'll defer to the posters who have history with leasing to answer that. I've only financed my five car purchases.

I will add there's nothing preventing someone from trading in a financed car at any point (3 years in your case), no matter if you choose another brand. You'll be able to negotiate both the trade-in figure and the sell price of the next car separately to your advantage. The goal would be that your trade-in value is higher than what you owe on the loan, and apply the positive balance on the new car purchase price (negotiated separately).

Again never leased myself so I'm sure I'm overlooking advantages that others may key in on for us in this thread.

Last week I bought a 2021 GTR in eternal blue mica.

Sticker (including the $1,100 delivery, processing, and handling fee) was $36,385.

They would only take $1,574 off, and I wasn't eligible for any of the other incentives. So $34,811 out the door, plus $495 documentation fee, $127 RMV fees, and $2,207 in tax (MA).

Probably could have done better if I waited, but that color is pretty rare around here (there were only two others within 250 miles), and I love the car.

Probably could have done better if I waited, but that color is pretty rare around here (there were only two others within 250 miles), and I love the car.

It's hard to judge a good deal on a '21 CX-5 at this point. But, at the end of the day, all that matters is your last statement. Enjoy!

Last week I bought a 2021 GTR in eternal blue mica.

Sticker (including the $1,100 delivery, processing, and handling fee) was $36,385.

They would only take $1,574 off, and I wasn't eligible for any of the other incentives. So $34,811 out the door, plus $495 documentation fee, $127 RMV fees, and $2,207 in tax (MA).

It may not the best deal but sounds like a fun purchase for you! Share some photos when you can. Congrats

Finally "settled" on a deal for a '21 GTR. Could have worked harder or waited longer, but got "close enough" for us (didn't exceed our ceiling). We are located in upstate NY and there was not much room for negotiation offered by anyone within 200 miles.

Deal we leveraged but ended up turning down (Baltimore, MD area):
'21 GTR Deep Crystal Mica Blue MSRP $36,330
Quoted Price w/ $1,100 delivery fee $33,456 (7.9% discount)
Plus $500 dealer doc fee $33,956 (6.5% discount)

Was able to get local dealer to nearly "match" by laying out "extra" on trade-in allowance:
'21 GTR Sonic Silver MSRP $36,395
Quoted price w/ $1,100 delivery fee $35,008 (3.8% discount)
Plus $75 dealer doc fee $35,083 (3.6%)
Minus add'l negotiated trade allowance $34,281 (5.8%)

Obviously a little funky math on my end to get there, but cash is fungible and the overall number worked for us. Not to mention saving a long Saturday trip and the hassle of offloading 2 beater cars. Another tale of "coulda done better but we're happy with what we got."

Appreciate all the advice and pricing references shared here.

Back