What did you pay for your CX-5?

Here's a bit of info for anyone looking to lease anything from Mazda. Up until recently Mazda used Chase to handle all their leasing contracts. They're now using Toyota's financing arm for this purpose.

Here's the catch.

With Chase you had an automatic $1000 insurance coverage to take care of any scratches, dings or whatever when you returned your leased car. You also had what's called gap insurance, which covers the difference between what your insurance might pay in the event your car was totaled and the payoff on the car. So if your payoff was $26000 say, and the insurance company would only pay $22000 of the cost you were covered for the difference up to some amount, I don't remember exactly what the cutoff was.

Now with Toyota finance both of those things are gone, and the dealer will try and sell them to you for about $800 as an add on. The add on has some better coverage, but still, without it they can ding you for any small thing when you turn in the car, and any 3 year old leased car is going to have some minor stuff no matter how careful you are. So you sort of have to have it or you're at their mercy.

I found this out after I had negotiated the lease deal on my new 2020 CX-5 GT and went to talk to the finance guy to finish the deal and he laid it on me. In my case this is my third leased CX-5, first a '15, then a '17 and now the '20 all from the same dealer. I also had bought my 2010 Mazda5 from them before I started on the lease track, which I traded toward the '15. It's Autobarn Mazda in Evanston IL if anyone cares.

This would have added on about $20 monthly to my lease cost. Long story short, I basically said no thanks since I still had a month on my lease and had time to start the whole game over. When they realized I was seriously gonna walk out with my old car they decided to just eat it and throw in the insurance. Now honestly I'm not mad about it, they did what they needed to do to keep a longstanding customer, which is what a decent dealer should do. They said I should have been told about the change from the beginning since when I started the whole deal I told them I just wanted to lease the same car in a 2020 - GT, Red, PP - with no BS, what's it gonna cost me.

In the end it worked out fine, and I have no issue with the dealer, they were stand up by me. But you should be aware of this if you're leasing from Mazda and factor it in ahead of time. Mazda leasing ain't great to begin with, you don't get any sort of compensation for unused miles. When my wife leased a new Acura last year they rolled the previous 6000 unused miles into the new lease so while we leased it for 30000 miles we actually got 36000 instead.

I hope this keeps anyone from an unpleasant surprise at the dreaded finance guy's desk...
Your story illustrates another prong in the purchase/lease process beyond $ off MSRP.

After agreeing on the purchase price and financing (if the manufactuer offers a deal) one proceeds to the perfunctory insurance pitch in the finance office. The kinds of insurance that will be pitched are:
  • gap insurance, as you describe, covering the amount underwater on the loan in the event of a total
  • extended warranties, of course
  • credit life and disability which pays off the loan if you die or covers payments while disabled
  • scratch and dent coverage on a lease, as you describe
  • one or two more I'm not thinking of at the moment
Of course if the manufactuer is not offering a finance or lease deal locked in up front, finance or lease terms are another pressure point of negotiation.

The profit margin on these insurance products is high. For example, the loss ratio (claim payouts as a percentage of premium collected) on credit life and disability can be as low as 50%, maybe lower, with sales commissions particularly high. Finance and insurance could be the largest profit center in a dealership so the hardcore pitch should be anticipated.

My finance office foray in purchasing a 2014 Sienna with 0% financing, a persistant but not especially hardcore pitch, I met each product offer with a polite "no, I would not be interested in that". At the end, with the finance lady circling back to Pitch Part 2, I asked what the total bill would be if I bought all the coverages including the top of the line extended warranty. $5,000, x in additional monthy payment. I explained that I pay attention to total cost not monthly payments and never buy extended warraties on anything (true) reckoning I'll come out ahead over a lifetime (true) and that I prefer to self-insure some portion of all my risks (true). She asked me how much I like to self-insure, wheeling into Sales Pitch Part 3. I told her at least $5,000 per risk, more depending on what it is.

She looked surprised and was kinda speechless. The pitch ended and we proceeded to the paperwork.

Now, if you want to get out of the finance office expediciously, without buying these expensive products and forgoing Pitch Part 3 or 4, whether all my "trues" are true in your case or not, the total cost and self-insurance argument has a high likelihood of pursuasion. No guarantee, but worth a shot if the guy keeps coming at you.

My recent foray in buying the CX-5 was kinda funny because it was a cash purchase, it was a certified vehicle extending the warranty, and my wife and I are retired. Since the guy didn't have much to sell, we went right to the paperwork after he said, "I'm guessing you're not interested in insurance products". They'll make some decent money on the trade.

Last edited by a moderator:
credit life and disability which pays off the loan if you die or covers payments while disabled

This makes me laugh 'till I cry. As the salesman tried to sell me this when we bought my Subari and my wife's Sienna I said "um, if I die my wife doesn't need my WRX so she'd probably sell it"

Unless you are seriously upside down, no one needs to pay off my car if I die.

First post - great forum...

Very quick deal shopping over the weekend, after driving picked CX 5 over Murano, RAV4, Explore and Honda CRV... for our usage - wife's car (comfort /style), long term hold, we’re “seniors”

1) FWD VS AWD? F(his one is FWD - friend in biz recommended front wheel = better ride / hsndling?
- 99% city/highway)

2) Wait til month end - negotiate more? Dealer said no mas at this time

3) Wait and buy 2021 with 10” monitor? Link Mazda CX 5 2021 PR

Also got 100% financing @ 0% interest financing 60 months with 90 day pymt. deferral.

Thanks All 👍🏻

Attachments

• 281DB7A9-2BB5-476F-90CF-D8369EF3247B.jpeg
    281DB7A9-2BB5-476F-90CF-D8369EF3247B.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 237
  • F4447EEE-56F2-4C2E-A705-524AB3186383.jpeg
    F4447EEE-56F2-4C2E-A705-524AB3186383.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Hi all,

We just picked up a 2020 CX-5 Sport (MSRP $26,290) for $23, 519.97 before $500.00 rebate at Culver City Mazda. If you pay cash, there is an extra $1500.00 rebate. We choose 0% for 60 months

Hope this help for those that are looking for CX-5.

IMG_1429.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,

We just picked up a 2020 CX-5 Sport (MSRP $26,290) for $23, 519.97 before $500.00 rebate at Culver City Mazda.

Hope this help for those that are looking for CX-5.

Have to net the $500 rebate and the (very reasonable) $85 DOC. You did a good 12 % off MSRP. Be proud

Very quick deal shopping over the weekend, after driving picked CX 5 over Murano, RAV4, Explore and Honda CRV... for our usage - wife's car (comfort /style), long term hold, we’re “seniors”

1) FWD VS AWD? F(his one is FWD - friend in biz recommended front wheel = better ride / hsndling?
- 99% city/highway)

Also got 100% financing @ 0% interest financing 60 months with 90 day pymt. deferral.

Thanks All 👍🏻

A solid 10% off MSRP. If you like the color and options it's a good deal. I'm an AWD guy but that's just me.

Thanks to all in this forum, I picked up a 2020 CX-5 GT FWD with PP in Red with Msrp of $34,030 for $28,300 after $1500 rebate for cash purchase, plus tax, tag, license. I did not qualify for any other rebates. Good luck all!!

Almost 17% off MSRP, you better get out of town before they discover what they did😜

I did! Lol. Had to drive a few hours each way but well worth it. Now working a deal.on a CX-9 . It's amazing what some dealers will do while others will say no way they'll lose their shirt. If one can do it, they all can. None of my local dealers came close to dealing so went out a couple hundred mile radius and made a trip out of it. Go hard and fast at these dealers and put them to battle against each other!

I'm curious did you did what I suggested? Rather than 'negotiate' I just tell them, "this is what I'll pay and I'll drive there in the morning to get it. If you can sell it to me for that price, great. If not, I respect that but i'll have to give it more thought"

Last edited:
It's amazing what some dealers will do while others will say no way they'll lose their shirt. If one can do it, they all can.

Every dealer pays the same amount for the same vehicle and thanks to the internet, we know what that amount is. The variables we can't know is how many vehicles a dealer needs to sell to meet their volume bonus or how close they are to meeting that goal - this varies by dealer. A dealer with the highest price one month may have the lowest price the next month - you just never know. New vehicles are regularly sold near or at actual cost and sometimes below. I'm dealer-agnostic - automobiles are commodity items and I buy from the lowest bidder. Swearing off a dealer forever because they wouldn't deal on a specific transaction might not be in one's best financial interest. :)

Every dealer pays the same amount for the same vehicle and thanks to the internet, we know what that amount is. The variables we can't know is how many vehicles a dealer needs to sell to meet their volume bonus or how close they are to meeting that goal - this varies by dealer. A dealer with the highest price one month may have the lowest price the next month - you just never know. New vehicles are regularly sold near or at actual cost and sometimes below. I'm dealer-agnostic - automobiles are commodity items and I buy from the lowest bidder. Swearing off a dealer forever because they wouldn't deal on a specific transaction might not be in one's best financial interest. :)
You are right about that. I have had to speculate which dealers have what inventory to better negotiate on the suspicion they need to sell more for end of month and end of year in my area. I have been comparing total stock to the model I want and going from there. While the numbers are to be taken with a grain of salt I check to update them before emailing the sales folks. So far the highish inventories have gotten me lowish sales prices. Still not where I want them, but thought I would share. I have def seen dealers with high sales prices become the lowest. It really comes down to how they end the month which keeps me on my toes for the best deal. Total stock count is all there Mazda CX-5's (all trims). Lots of GTs in my area.

1599583790869.png

2020 Cx5 - Grand Touring - $29.5K OTD price (cash deal). Is this a fair price or is there room for negotiation? I appreciate any insights as this is my first Mazda purchase.

@jorgegg

Tell us the price of the vehicle. Too many local tax / fee variables to tell you what the OTD really means. Sharing what part of the world you are in also is a good point of reference.

long story short -- take window sticker MSRP for the vehicle - subtract 10% and work down from there. When you get to 15% or greater off MSRP (like this post: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...-you-pay-for-your-cx-5.123811693/post-6700585) then you know you have headed into ""fair price" region.

"fair" is subjective. Don't feel sorry or worried about the dealer.. they will stay in business for another day.

2020 Cx5 - Grand Touring - $29.5K OTD price (cash deal). Is this a fair price or is there room for negotiation? I appreciate any insights as this is my first Mazda purchase.
Need to know only everything before TT&L. Sales price net of rebates including dealer added items, plus DOC fee.

- 99% city/highway)

Thanks All 👍🏻

If you have quite a bit of snow, go for the AWD, it is worth it, otherwise FWD should be ok.

Personally I would wait for the 2021 model for the better infotainment. Not sure you will get the same deal though. Plus, I see that is a 2.5l non-turbo model. Does it have cylinder deactivation ? If yes, you should stay away from it. For 2021 they are ditching all engines with cylinder deactivation from what I know.

You are right about that. I have had to speculate which dealers have what inventory to better negotiate on the suspicion they need to sell more for end of month and end of year in my area. I have been comparing total stock to the model I want and going from there. While the numbers are to be taken with a grain of salt I check to update them before emailing the sales folks. So far the highish inventories have gotten me lowish sales prices. Still not where I want them, but thought I would share. I have def seen dealers with high sales prices become the lowest. It really comes down to how they end the month which keeps me on my toes for the best deal. Total stock count is all there Mazda CX-5's (all trims). Lots of GTs in my area.

View attachment 226888
I see you are searching for the GT in the Boston area. Please share which dealership offered you the lowest quote, if you don't mind? I'm also in the market for the GT in MA. The lowest quote I received was $29,400.

I see you are searching for the GT in the Boston area. Please share which dealership offered you the lowest quote, if you don't mind? I'm also in the market for the GT in MA. The lowest quote I received was $29,400.
No problem, I have not actively started working on prices just communicating with the dealerships for test drives and availability. The prices I have received were given without asking, if that helps. Thus far Mastria Mazda in Raynham has given the lowest quote. Again, I must note I have that in writing on email but not any official contract or purchase invoice. I also have like the ease of discussion with Prime Mazda as well and gotten a 29,200 quote from them and feel they would go lower.

A buddy of mine is also shopping and actually purchased a GT this past weekend with Labor deals and was able to get a 2020 GT from Quirk Mazda for ~28,500. Take that with a grain of salt because I have not seen it in writing to know if it is true, just word of mouth.

No problem, I have not actively started working on prices just communicating with the dealerships for test drives and availability. The prices I have received were given without asking, if that helps. Thus far Mastria Mazda in Raynham has given the lowest quote. Again, I must note I have that in writing on email but not any official contract or purchase invoice. I also have like the ease of discussion with Prime Mazda as well and gotten a 29,200 quote from them and feel they would go lower.

A buddy of mine is also shopping and actually purchased a GT this past weekend with Labor deals and was able to get a 2020 GT from Quirk Mazda for ~28,500. Take that with a grain of salt because I have not seen it in writing to know if it is true, just word of mouth.
Thank you. I tried Quirk Mazda but the quote they sent me was high, 31K+. The lowest I received was from Prime Mazda 29,400 before Labor Day weekend.

I'm not in a rush, but if I can find a low 28K price I may just purchase it. Hopefully they will lower their price soon before year end. Please post it here if you find a deal you like.

Thank you. I tried Quirk Mazda but the quote they sent me was high, 31K+. The lowest I received was from Prime Mazda 29,400 before Labor Day weekend.

I'm not in a rush, but if I can find a low 28K price I may just purchase it. Hopefully they will lower their price soon before year end. Please post it here if you find a deal you like.
From my limited experience thus far the best deals come at the end of the month for sure. I have heard it here a few times and can confirm that is true. If you are in no rush that helps you be patient to find the best deal. I also increased my scope to 250 miles for dealers to not exclude anyone thanks to some advice here. I will definitely share my results.

Back