What did you pay for your CX-5?

Do not go factory Mazda remote start! Your money is better spent on performance stickers and floor mats :)
There are at least 3 different aftermarket options for remote start; be sure to check the knowledge sharing document for some ideas.
Fortin
iDatastart
Compustar
Viper

- and yes most would allow a DIY approach if you feel so inclined (t-harness makes it way easier) .

and I am sure I am missing some. All of the above will use the factory key fob and can be programmed for horn or no horn use -- some even allow the addition of alarm features like vibration, tow sensing, glass breakage.

Hi guys, new to this forum. I'm wondering what people think of the price I paid for a 2019 CX-5 sport (soul-red) FWD.

My sales price was $24,080, and the MSRP on the sticker was $26,050.
- Tax, registration and dealer fees came out to a total of about $2875
- Discounts were $3000 (1000 healthcare, 1500 loyalty, and an extra 500)
- I traded in a car for about $2700

My total out the door with 0% financing/60 months was $21, 255

The thing is, though, the main reason I got the 2019 instead of a 2020 was because it was supposedly already discounted for being a 2019, with the sticker price being $23,030. I noticed after the fact that my sales price was roughly $1000 more than the sticker price at $24,080 (before manufacturer incentives/trade in).

I know its my fault for not catching this when signing the paper work. But is this normal practice for a dealer to raise the price like that in this sense? I'm asking because this dealer has a return/exchange policy so technically I can take it back or just exchange it for a 2020. Not certain it would be worth the hassle, though, for $1000 and some change.

I know very little about cars, car-buying and/or negotiating. So, I would just like the opinion of some of the more experienced users as to whether all things aside (like the discount on the sticker for being a 2019 being nullified, etc), $21,255 for a 2019 fwd sport with 85 miles is already a good enough deal? Would anyone go back since there's an exchange policy and seek the 2020 instead?

Dealers can and will do anything legal or of questionable legality whether or not it's immoral to make money - that's just how the game works.

Your deal doesn't sound bad unless your trade was actually worth more than $2,700 (which it almost certainly is).

Incentives vary by region. Here in Texas, for example, the "healthcare rebate" is only $500, but there's also a $1,500 customer cash in addition to the $1,500 loyalty.

Mazda made several changes to the 2020 CX-5 including the Sport trim - some not very meaningful and others that may or may not benefit or be of interest to you.

Changes to the 2020 CX-5 Sport include:

"CX-5 Sport is far from entry-level thanks to the many standard features occupants can enjoy. The premium ownership experience starts with the keys, in line with Mazda’s upscale movement, a new key fob design opens the doors using a remote keyless entry system. As the importance of safety continues to grow, Mazda is now offering the full suite of i-Activsense features to the 2020 CX-5. This includes Mazda Radar Cruise Control with stop and go function, Advanced Smart City Brake Support with day and nighttime pedestrian detection, Smart Brake Support with Collision Warning, Lane Departure Warning with Lane-Keep Assist and High Beam Control. More new standard features include automatic on/off headlights as well as automatic rain-sensing windshield wipers. Subtle, yet sophisticated; the font is updated throughout the vehicle, from the badging and gauge display to the owner’s manual. Small attention to detail that together helps create a unique atmosphere. The seven-inch full-color, touchscreen display with Mazda ConnectTM receives a new Cylinder Deactivation System display, which will help show the fuel efficiency of the four-cylinder Skyactiv-G 2.5 engine." - https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/pr...-continues-to-separate-itself-from-its-class/

It was a 2012 Mazda 3 with 130k miles and some work that needed to be done. The KBB private sale value was about ~$4200, but for trade in it seems it was about what I received.

The incentives is what gets me, my total discounts in incentives were $3000, however, looking back on it... it seems they basically took away the initial discount that the 2019 was listed at on the sticker, somewhat negating some of the incentives.

Just sucks I didn't catch this at the time! I learned my lesson. This was my first time financing a vehicle and everything seemed to check out... except the last paper with the actual sales price before all discounts, etc, which was the very last paper out of the bunch and after about ~5 hours of being there, haha.

Often, those "advertised prices" include incentives - sometimes including those that you may not qualify for so they're just advertising a potential price to someone who qualified for all advertised incentives. Many dealers advertise the MSRP along with one or two conditional prices with one including incentive that everyone qualifies for and another includes incentives that not everyone qualifies for. Often those prices are "online only" and when you get to the dealer you find that they no longer apply "in person" or that there are accessory or other charges added to the price that they didn't disclose or didn't disclose obviously. Then, even once you agree on a final price, things have another opportunity to change when you get the F&I (Finance and Insurance - the last office you go to to sign paperwork). They effectively use confusion and play on people's ignorance. For the majority of people shop shop by monthly payment alone (HORRIBLE method), there are LOTS of ways to sneak out a hundreds or even thousands of dollars in extra profit. I'm an experienced buyer and it's still an exercise in frustration at times. I almost wish all cars had fair, fixed prices and everybody paid the same thing. Unfortunately, a few manufacturers tried that back in the 1990s and 2000s (Ford, Saturn, and Scion come to mind). Well, it was a total failure for Ford. And, Saturn and Scion are no longer in business. :)

Hi guys, I purchased a 2020 touring with preferred package, soul red (FWD) for $26,880 OTD. Kinda crazy seeing people with 15%+ off MSRP in this thread... I'm guessing I didn't get much of a deal? Lol

Hi guys, I purchased a 2020 touring with preferred package, soul red (FWD) for $26,880 OTD. Kinda crazy seeing people with 15%+ off MSRP in this thread... I'm guessing I didn't get much of a deal? Lol
You did well. Better than most, I would say.
Enjoy your new car.

You smoke'd 'em on your deal

I bought my Reserve in March 2019 and ordered it from the factory. Because of that, I hardly got much of a discount. You did very well.

I don't regret my deal one bit. When I get behind the wheel, I don't give a single thought to whether or not my payment could have been $50 less...I just drive & smile.

ps: Love your color choice. I almost pulled the trigger on the red, but went for the Eternal Blue Mica (the lighter blue.)

You smoke'd 'em on your deal

You did well. Better than most, I would say.
Enjoy your new car.

Sweet, good to know. Now this did include $2500 in rebates (loyalty discount + healthcare), so I'm sure I probably could have haggled a bit more off of the "sales price," but at every dealer I went to it seems like no matter what they'd find a way to negate that with something else haha. But regardless, like most people here seem to say I guess at the end of the day all that matters is what you're leaving with OTD.

Only reason I asked is because I've been browsing this thread for the last week to get price ideas since this is my first time financing a car and after the fact last night noticed someone a few pages back with the exact same car but AWD on top of it, for like ~$24,500 something!

But I guess you just never really know all the additional discounts people got, etc. Even I, technically left OTD financing $24,080, because I got $2800 on a trade in (which I thought was solid given the miles + mechanical work it needed), however, I did not include that as I felt it would be more appropriate to make comparisons without the trade in.

Anyway, thanks for the quick responses. The exterior definitely caught my attention... but the interior sold me on the car, just stunning. Can't wait to take this sucker to some Florida beaches :cool:

I bought my Reserve in March 2019 and ordered it from the factory. Because of that, I hardly got much of a discount. You did very well.

I don't regret my deal one bit. When I get behind the wheel, I don't give a single thought to whether or not my payment could have been $50 less...I just drive & smile.

ps: Love your color choice. I almost pulled the trigger on the red, but went for the Eternal Blue Mica (the lighter blue.)

You're totally right. I definitely won't be losing sleep thinking about another ~$1000 or so I could have gotten off. This was the last bit of "research" I'm going to do and now just coast off into the sunset haha.

Honestly, I really liked nearly ALL the colors they had. I really liked the deep crystal blue mica and almost pulled the trigger on that one, but went with the red since they were giving it to me for the same price. I don't think my dealer had any of the eternal blues in touring/awd + pp.

Your car is just sick, enjoy, and thank you :)

I'm done with dark color cars (sorry, even the best looking Red) as I cat't tolerate the paint swirls anymore. Not only don't my white CX-5 and silver Miata show sworls, they hide dust, dirt, and minor scratches better

Last edited:
Hi, I am new to the community! I am currently leasing a 2017 Crystal Blue Grand Touring with my last payment of $392 due June 1st. I put down a deposit for a 2020 Gray Signature for ~$37,200 including loyalty, fees and taxes. Had to put down the deposit (which will go towards my down payment) for the dealer to get it for me because they only had the Eternal Blue on the lot. Do you think I should take the chance and wait to purchase the end of next month not knowing for sure if the 0% financing 90 day deferred payment will still be available? The sales person is telling me it will likely be available; but, won’t know for sure until guess when? Yeah June 1st! He has no incentive one way or the other. Your thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you!

Any Canadians in here that can weigh in on pricing. I found a Crystal Blue Mica GT Turbo 2019 no mileage for $40,000 OTD....

Is that a good price? In Vancouver if it matters

Any Canadians in here that can weigh in on pricing. I found a Crystal Blue Mica GT Turbo 2019 no mileage for $40,000 OTD....

Is that a good price? In Vancouver if it matters

OTD is meaningless for this conversation.

See other posts - break down the quote given from the dealer line by line.
example:

Chico said:
Got my 2020 GTR in Deep Crystal Blue Mica (plus accessaries)

MSRP $36,850
Discount: -$3,275
2020 CX-5 Customer Cash Rebate: -$1,500
Loyalty: -$1,500
Gov Fee: $600
Doc: $150
_________
Total: $31,325 (Before tax) 17% off MSRP

Purchased my Soul Red GT-Reserve in Maryland. This vehicle had the illuminated door sill trim pre-installed.

Here is the deal breakdown:

MSRP: 37,230
Dealer Discount: -4,536 (12.18% of MSRP)
Cash Sales Price: 32,694
Doc fee: 300
Gross Sales Price: 32,994
4.15% Tax: 1,369
Tags/Title: 137
Subtotal: 34,500
Mazda Health Care Rebate: -500 (applied as downpayment)
Out-the-door: 34,000

Zero Percent financing.

For anyone looking in the DC, MD, VA area, I received my best offers from these dealers:
Sheehy Mazda Hagerstown
Koons of Silver Spring
Ourisman Mazda of Laurel
Thompson Mazda

Is it common practice for the dealers to take rebates/incentives off AFTER calculating the total price of the vehicle with tax and fees etc or should they take the incentives off of the MSRP and then calculate tax and fees etc?

Is it common practice for the dealers to take rebates/incentives off AFTER calculating the total price of the vehicle with tax and fees etc or should they take the incentives off of the MSRP and then calculate tax and fees etc?
Shooting from the hip, I would say that it depends on your state's sales tax laws.

But that sounds "odd" to charge sales tax on a price you did not pay.
Anything that goes to the government should be assessed by statute.

Shooting from the hip, I would say that it depends on your state's sales tax laws.

But that sounds "odd" to charge sales tax on a price you did not pay.
Anything that goes to the government should be assessed by statute.

Yes agreed. It just seems like some of the people who post their deals on this forum post all of their incentives and fees THEN get taxed on that price, while others are getting taxed first after they get a dealer discount on the MSRP, then getting their additional incentives (loyalty rebate, healthcare worker discount, etc) deducted to that price.

Purchased my Soul Red GT-Reserve in Maryland. This vehicle had the illuminated door sill trim pre-installed.

Here is the deal breakdown:

MSRP: 37,230
Dealer Discount: -4,536 (12.18% of MSRP)
Cash Sales Price: 32,694
Doc fee: 300
Gross Sales Price: 32,994
4.15% Tax: 1,369
Tags/Title: 137
Subtotal: 34,500
Mazda Health Care Rebate: -500 (applied as downpayment)
Out-the-door: 34,000

Zero Percent financing.

For anyone looking in the DC, MD, VA area, I received my best offers from these dealers:
Sheehy Mazda Hagerstown
Koons of Silver Spring
Ourisman Mazda of Laurel
Thompson Mazda
This is a good deal! Looks like you have decent discount with 0% finance. Most dealer will allow to choose between $1500 cash and 0% financing.
Congrats.

Yes agreed. It just seems like some of the people who post their deals on this forum post all of their incentives and fees THEN get taxed on that price, while others are getting taxed first after they get a dealer discount on the MSRP, then getting their additional incentives (loyalty rebate, healthcare worker discount, etc) deducted to that price.
My guess would be different tax statutes in different states...and even countries. Many of us here are from Canada, while others are not on this continent. Terms like "discount" and "rebate" are likely interpreted by some as attempts at loopholes.

This is an extract from the Virginia statute regarding sales tax on vehicles:

For the purposes of the Motor Vehicle Sales and Use Tax collection, gross sales price includes the dealer processing fee. The gross sales price is the vehicle price after the manufacturers' rebates or manufacturers' incentives. Gross sales price does not include any other price reductions, such as credit for trade-ins, unpaid liens or other unpaid credits.

Hi all,

I don't see many posts about leasing here but wanted to see if anyone had some advice.
I am eligible for 720 lease cash, 1500 loyalty and 650 lease to lease cash in MA, and got this quote on a GT with PP. The discount seems pretty paltry but I am not sure if it is because of a lease versus purchase.

Should I be pushing for 5-10% off as a discount before incentives? With the incentives - it is like 12% off MSRP. Appreciate any help!

Also, GTR is only a few hundred more but the residual sucks on the GTR, so lease price is much higher.
Is it really worth it? Worried about fuel economy.
Have 2017 CX5 GT and fuel economy is quite poor.

1590731088026.png

Back