What coolant to top off?

2016 CX-5 2.5L...I believe it has the fl22 coolant (blue stuff)...It's got very low miles but I'm wondering what I can use to top off a couple inches of coolant? Dealership wants 40 dollars here for a jug...What is safe to mix?

FL22. The oem bottle is only in a big jug. Ready to use, premixed. Its actually greenish color :)
Check other dealers, its usually cheaper...I think around 25$

2016 CX-5 2.5L...I believe it has the fl22 coolant (blue stuff)...It's got very low miles but I'm wondering what I can use to top off a couple inches of coolant? Dealership wants 40 dollars here for a jug...What is safe to mix?
How many miles on your 2016 CX-5, and what is the coolant level currently in the reservoir between “F” and “L” marks?

Yeah the Mazda genuine FL-22 coolant seems to be in shortage right now, and the price, like everything else nowadays, keeps going up drastically too. The one gallon jug used to be ~$20 now is around ~$40 (with shipping) if you can find one online!

If you don’t plan to keep the CX-5 long, and the coolant level is above “L” mark, you may get by to top off with distilled water. Or just find any FL-22 compatible coolant and top it off.

If you plan to keep the CX-5 over 120,000 miles or 10 years (from car manufacture date) which is the scheduled coolant replacement interval, keep using Mazda genuine FL-22 coolant topping off, and save the rest for the coolant replacement in the future.

Last summer I changed out my coolant at the 6 year mark. I used an FL-22 equivalent. It's the ZEREX Asian formula that is colored blue. It cost $15 a jug (premix) at Advance Auto with the 20-25% discount for order online for store pickup. The OEM coolant is green.

I haven't changed mine yet but I've added a cup or two of distilled water.

Just make sure any aftermarket coolant uses the same chemistry.

Ok.. does one by chance know the cheapest place to get it?
After further research, to my surprise that the genuine Mazda Extended Life Coolant FL-22 somehow is nowhere can be found on Amazon and eBay. I then called my Mazda dealer to find out the part number and price, The part no. is 0000-77-508F-20 and the MSRP is $25.32. Your Mazda dealer definitely was trying to rip you off selling it for $40! You can try to order it online and the price is lower than MSRP, but you have to pay shipping in most cases. Of course you can try to find a local Mazda dealer who is willing to sell the OEM coolant for list price or matching the online price.

And be aware that 0000-77-508F-20 is a new part number for Mazda FL-22 coolant which supersedes the previous part no. 0000-77-508E-20.

141D25BC-FA1B-40B3-A734-460E8AA3E40F.jpeg

B0661B13-5CF9-48D9-B65C-C5CF7923D9DC.jpeg

Back