Went over some potholes..

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Went hiking today and ended up driving in some back gravel roads with Huge potholes around a foot deep.

I tried to avoid them all but went over some pretty hard. Should I be worried about any damage to my car?

Is there a way to tell if anything got damaged?

Maybe your wheel alignment is off. If so, you will feel a vibration in your steering wheel at a speed around 50 or 60 mph

You didn't say how fast you were going when you hit the potholes though.

I was going 20 mph max. Mostly around 15 mph for ones I didn't see. Majority of them I went over very slow and cautiously. It was just dark out and hard to see. There doesn't seem to be any damage but I still worry about it putting some heavy wear on the suspension and wheels.

I went over a bump on the highway at 85 today. It's a random bump on the left side of the passing lane on a route I usually drive. I'm certain the front left wheel went airborne because I hard a thump and the dsc flashed for a sec lol.

Next time you drive it,take your hands off the steering wheel and if it pulls left or right you need a wheel alignment.

Going how fast? And that's usually pretty cheap right?

Would be a shame considering I only have 200 miles on my car!!

What ever your speed limit is as you leave the driveway ;) you will know straight away mate.

Went hiking today and ended up driving in some back gravel roads with Huge potholes around a foot deep.

I tried to avoid them all but went over some pretty hard. Should I be worried about any damage to my car?

As long as it drives normally and doesn't exhibit uneven tire wear you have nothing to worry about.

I'm assuming your tires are still intact? Everything else should be fine.

I'm not sure what you mean by that since both of the wheels I dented were aluminum alloy. One was gravity cast, one was pressure cast (how OEM aluminum wheels are typically made). That being said, they were both running 50 series sidewalls, so a CX-5 with less than 19" wheels would likely have more protection from the taller sidewalls.

Oh, and my old roommate somehow dented his stock RX-8 wheels over some railroad tracks some years back. That was a weird one since it was loud as hell when it happened, but he wasn't going over them particularly quickly.

I'm not sure what you mean by that since both of the wheels I dented were aluminum alloy. One was gravity cast, one was pressure cast (how OEM aluminum wheels are typically made). That being said, they were both running 50 series sidewalls, so a CX-5 with less than 19" wheels would likely have more protection from the taller sidewalls.

Oh, and my old roommate somehow dented his stock RX-8 wheels over some railroad tracks some years back. That was a weird one since it was loud as hell when it happened, but he wasn't going over them particularly quickly.

That is very unfortunate. The 17" and the 19" CX-5 wheels are not going to bend from hitting a pothole at 20mph.
I just went and drove through multiple potholes at 50mph and my wheels are fine.

Last edited:
Back