WeatherTech Mats - FYI

:
2008 Mazda CX-9 Touring FWD . 2014 CX-5 GT FWD
I happened to be near the MacNeil company store in Illinois today and dropped in to see what the story might be on CX-9 mats. The good news is that the Fronts are done and heading to inventory as soon as next week. They showed me a picture of the driver's mat in place and it looked terrific.

I am supposed to get a set shipped to me from the factory and will post pics when I do. The front set will run $99.

The 2nd row mats will be another 3+ weeks. They also said a cargo mat that hopefully also covers the 3rd row when down will be another 9+ weeks.

I like the WeatherTech mats in other cars, so this is good news.

I received my GG Bailey front mats yesterday.

GGBMats.jpg

Nice mats

Those look nice, but the WeatherTech are rubber all-weather mats with molded sides so that snow and water don't go all over. This may not be an issue in all climates of course.

I've used the rubber mats in my cars for many years now and tend to save the cheap OEM carpeted ones for trade-in/sale time or special occasions.

Those look nice, but the WeatherTech are rubber all-weather mats with molded sides so that snow and water don't go all over. This may not be an issue in all climates of course.

I've used the rubber mats in my cars for many years now and tend to save the cheap OEM carpeted ones for trade-in/sale time or special occasions.

We don't concern ourselves with all-weather mats for snow and such here in Albuquerque. (thumb)

I just have the standard carpet mats for now. I believe they look quite stylish with the CX-9 script logo. I want the all weather mats though.

The Weathertech Floorliner Fronts are now available.

The rears are in "Engineering" and 6-9 weeks out.

Pictures of Weathertech Mats

Today I received what I am told are the first Weathertech Mats shipped for the CX-9. I am usually not such an early adopter, but these mats are very nice and fit perfectly. They were $99.00. You'll notice that they are molded to fit the floor well including wrapping the foot rest about 3/4, and should hold quite a bit of water and muck. They are roughly a cross in texture between the soft rubber mats and hard plastic trunk liners.

Attachments

• CX-9 Weathertech 1.jpg
    CX-9 Weathertech 1.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 637
  • CX-9 Weathertech 2.jpg
    CX-9 Weathertech 2.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 544
those front mats look even better than my factory Mazda rubber mats.
However, one very important factor is the design of the 2nd and 3rd row mats.
On the Mazda all-weather mats, there are long rubber tabs that you wedge under the seat slider moldings. This holds all the mats securely in place so they never move around.
Do your weathertech mats include a similar feature on the rears?

those front mats look even better than my factory Mazda rubber mats.
However, one very important factor is the design of the 2nd and 3rd row mats.
On the Mazda all-weather mats, there are long rubber tabs that you wedge under the seat slider moldings. This holds all the mats securely in place so they never move around.
Do your weathertech mats include a similar feature on the rears?

Note the comment from ZoomFive above, the rears and cargo area mats haven't been released yet. They are still several weeks away.

WeatherTech hasn't come out with the rears yet. I agree that the design of the OEM mats is not typical given the connections.

When I spoke to them initially, they said the 2nd and 3rd rows were still in development and would be out most likely in January. I told them the 2nd row and cargo area were actually more important to me as that was where the kids and junk would go. I also emphasized that a cargo mat needed to be available in a model that would cover the 3rd row seats when down. A tiny mat for the cargo area would not help most people much I am guessing.

He told me they go through a fairly detailed process of measurement in order to make sure the fit is perfect in 3 dimensions, so it takes a while to develop the molds. Given the quality of fit on the fronts I just got, I would tend to believe him.

I'm also guessing that they prioritize development of new mats based on potential sales, so a relatively low volume producer like Mazda would naturally come after developing mats for a Ford.

I am frequently near the factory store, and will drop in again and let you know what they say. While the HQ is in Illinois a few miles from me, the factory that actually makes the mats is in Kansas.

I checked today and the rears and cargo mats are still not showing. I wonder if they decided not to produce them. I want a cargo tray and am hoping for another alternative to the OEM carpet one.

I checked today and the rears and cargo mats are still not showing. I wonder if they decided not to produce them. I want a cargo tray and am hoping for another alternative to the OEM carpet one.

I figure, given the way the mats buckle togther and have tabs that slide under the tracks and the fact that there is no clearance, it has become a difficult exercise to do the 2nd row as Floorliners. I suspect that I will get the factory all wethers for the 2nd and 3rd row if I get tired of my pieces of office carpeting.

Youl could always just give them a little ring and confirm for everyone...

2nd row

I don't think the engineering is the challenge for them. They have second row mats (no 3rd, however) for the GM Lambdas Outlook/Acadia/Enclave and those all have floor tracks similar to the 9.

It's probably is more an issue of potential sales and setting priorities.

The lack of a second row set doesn't bother me so much but I'd really like a load floor mat that fits when the third row is down.

Ted

I don't think the engineering is the challenge for them. They have second row mats (no 3rd, however) for the GM Lambdas Outlook/Acadia/Enclave and those all have floor tracks similar to the 9.

The lack of a second row set doesn't bother me so much but I'd really like a load floor mat that fits when the third row is down.

Ted

GG Bailey makes custom floor mats for all 3 rows, plus cargo compartment with rear seats up or down. However, they are carpeted mats.

I have the RubberTite cargo liner from AutoAnything.Com. Since I rarely use my 3rd row seats I got the large size (they also make a smaller size for 3rd row up). I am completely satisfied with the liner, and like that it keeps items from sliding around. Some folks have complained about the rubber smell of it--I left mine out in the sun for a few hours, then installed it. My wife and I have never noted any odor from it.

Ted

I agree that sales potential always plays into it. I haven;t seen the Arcadia 2nd row carpets. The 2nd row is really more complicated than the 1st row though.

I suspect that I will get the factory all wethers for the 2nd and 3rd row if I get tired of my pieces of office carpeting.

Youl could always just give them a little ring and confirm for everyone...

Wow, what an insult to office carpeting. The default mats are little more than placemats if you ask me. One would think that at least on the GT version, they would upgrade the quality of the mats. Poorest mats in any car I have owned.

Can anyone recommend the Mazda all weathers? Would these be overkill in a hot climate where it rarely/never snows? I have two small kids that sit in 2nd row, so I would think it would be great for that...spills and such (and other...yuck). :)

Are they reasonably priced compared to the weathertechs?

Wow, what an insult to office carpeting. The default mats are little more than placemats if you ask me. One would think that at least on the GT version, they would upgrade the quality of the mats. Poorest mats in any car I have owned.

Can anyone recommend the Mazda all weathers? Would these be overkill in a hot climate where it rarely/never snows? I have two small kids that sit in 2nd row, so I would think it would be great for that...spills and such (and other...yuck). :)

(cheers2) Did you register your screen name like this because of the carpets? hehe

Aside from the joke, http://www.finishlineperformance.com/store/home.php?cat=281&sort=title&sort_direction=0&page=2

I got the OEM mazda all weather carpets from them. I would still use it regardless of snow or not. It is painful to wash regular carpets. On the other hand, you can just high pressure these rubber mats. So easy to maintain.

Having experience with both, Mazda all weather mats and the Weathertech Floorliners, I recommend paying the extra money for the Weathertechs for the front row. They protect the floor much better and are far easier to clean than the Mazda mats and you can leave them in year round if you want.

So far, Weathertech hasn't done the 2nd or 3rd row or a rear cargo mat. Rumor has it they are working on these.

Ted

Last edited:
Cargo liner

MacNeil is now offering a cargo liner for the CX-9. The website indicates it's a two piece item that snaps together depending on how much of the floor you need to cover.

There is no picture of it, but I'd interpret their description to mean that it can cover the area behind the second row with the third row down or just the rear most area if the third row is up.

[Edit]

They now have a real live picture of the mat that will be delivered. I purchased one myself and think it was worth the money.

Ted

Last edited:
Back