2017~2024 Water on Passenger A-Pillar when Snowing/Raining

Hey everyone, I have a leased 2018 Mazda CX5 GT that has had a whistling sound from the passenger side door at freeway speeds. I didn't really think much of it, until it snowed in Seattle a few weeks ago and the passenger side A-pillar became wet like shown in the picture. I took it to my dealership after the first time, they said that the sunroof drains were clogged and surprised me with a $96 bill in service fees. Unless the drains get clogged within a week, I'm not sure if they were the main problem. Water is back again on the passenger A-pillar thanks to a nice rain storm that hit this area.

Asking if any other sunroof-equipped CX5/Mazda owners have had this issue, and how to best resolve it without enormous service fees. Would it be reasonable to ask my dealership to examine the car without having to pay again, or am I expecting too much out of a dealership?

Thanks, and happy new year to you all :)

Attachments

• Passenger_Side_Leak.jpg
    Passenger_Side_Leak.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 418
Have you changed the windshield at any time?
The whistling noise ususlly is due to bad seal after windshield replacement or a bad seal on the door (unlikely).

you can remove the A pillar for a while (its easy) and see where the leak comes from. The drain pipe is also visible and can be checked.

Upvote 0
Have you changed the windshield at any time?
The whistling noise ususlly is due to bad seal after windshield replacement or a bad seal on the door (unlikely).

you can remove the A pillar for a while (its easy) and see where the leak comes from. The drain pipe is also visible and can be checked.
Nothing has been done to the car since I received it new, other than regular maintenance. I'll have to do that, thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey everyone, I have a leased 2018 Mazda CX5 GT that has had a whistling sound from the passenger side door at freeway speeds. I didn't really think much of it, until it snowed in Seattle a few weeks ago and the passenger side A-pillar became wet like shown in the picture. I took it to my dealership after the first time, they said that the sunroof drains were clogged and surprised me with a $96 bill in service fees. Unless the drains get clogged within a week, I'm not sure if they were the main problem. Water is back again on the passenger A-pillar thanks to a nice rain storm that hit this area.

Asking if any other sunroof-equipped CX5/Mazda owners have had this issue, and how to best resolve it without enormous service fees. Would it be reasonable to ask my dealership to examine the car without having to pay again, or am I expecting too much out of a dealership?

Thanks, and happy new year to you all :)
Sunroof drain leak problem is common on certain car models, such as my previous 2001.5 VW Passat, but it’s the first time we’ve heard here on the CX-5. If your 2018 CX-5 still have new-car warranty, 3 years / 36,000 miles, I really don’t believe the dealer should charge you $96, not to mention it leaked again within a week after the repair. You can contact Mazda North American Operations and complain about the case, and the dealer should be responsible to fix the problem again as the original repair didn’t fix it after you paid for the repair.

Upvote 0
Sunroof drain leak problem is common on certain car models, such as my previous 2001.5 VW Passat, but it’s the first time we’ve heard here on the CX-5. If your 2018 CX-5 still have new-car warranty, 3 years / 36,000 miles, I really don’t believe the dealer should charge you $96, not to mention it leaked again within a week after the repair. You can contact Mazda North American Operations and complain about the case, and the dealer should be responsible to fix the problem again as the original repair didn’t fix it after you paid for the repair.
That's what I thought as well. I'm pretty sure I got the extended warranty, whatever that means now. I sent an email to Mazda Corporate and this is the reply I've received.
Thank you for contacting the Mazda Customer Experience Center. I am sorry to hear that it got clogged and this happened. When it comes to something like the drains getting clogged, that would not be covered under any warranty since it is just a matter of maintenance or a service being provided and it is not a matter of the part failing and needing replacement.

If you have any questions or responses, you may reach me by replying directly to this e-mail.

Sincerely,
Andrew
Representative, Customer Experience
Other than sending them an email as seen here, is there another way to contact Mazda NA Operations? Really appreciate your input!

Upvote 0
That's what I thought as well. I'm pretty sure I got the extended warranty, whatever that means now. I sent an email to Mazda Corporate and this is the reply I've received.

Other than sending them an email as seen here, is there another way to contact Mazda NA Operations? Really appreciate your input!

AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM MAZDA

This article provided by Mazda gives you all the information you need on warranty coverage and how to resolve the dispute. I usually would call 800 number, (800) 222-5500, Customer Experience Center, Mazda North American Operations for Mazda, and talk to a live person trying to get the dispute resolved. Of course there’s no guarantee in your case as Mazda’s new vehicle limited warranty doesn’t mention anything about the water leak specifically and it becomes a gray area. You can go through BBB、reporting the problem to NHTSA、and any other means if you can’t get satisfactory result from MNAO. For such a small issue, if there’s no resolution from MNAO after pushing the case through higher ranking managerial level, I’d simply file several complaints to other bureaus and return the CX-5 after the lease ends. Of course you can lease or buy other brand of vehicle as a revenge so you feel better.

Since MNAO says clogged moonroof drains is a matter of maintenance, you can simply ask the rep that where is the “moonroof drain maintenance” listed in the maintenance schedule in your owner’s manual? There’s none, so how can a CX-5 owner know these drains need routine maintenance? Of course after you paid $96 for repair on clogged moonroof drains, the A-pillar leaked again within a week when it’s rained! The paid repair definitely didn’t fix the problem, and there could be something else (parts) failed on moonroof draining system which should be covered under warranty.

BTW, a dealer usually have 30-day service warranty on repairs, and 12-month warranty on parts. Going through the MNAO directly is to get the $96 back as I believe your problem should be covered under new-vehicle warranty. If you’re out of new-vehicle warranty, the whole ball game changes. At least you should contact the Mazda dealer asking them to get the problem fixed with previous paid service as they didn’t fix the problem as promised.

Upvote 0
We have had a 2018 CX5 since new. No wind noise. No water leaks in snow or hard rain. Clearly when you brought it in they made up an excuse without checking out the real reason for the issue, and took your money! Open a case with Mazda, ask for a refund, take it to another dealer.

Reactions: BWJ
Upvote 0
Did you or do you frequently leave the sunroof open while parked?

How does the sunroof drain get clogged if the roof is primarily kept closed?

The first repair at the dealership did not address the situation. Take it back to ask them to fix and show you the blocked drain if they are claiming this has happened again.

Upvote 0
Did you or do you frequently leave the sunroof open while parked?

How does the sunroof drain get clogged if the roof is primarily kept closed?

The first repair at the dealership did not address the situation. Take it back to ask them to fix and show you the blocked drain if they are claiming this has happened again.
I think I've used the sunroof maybe 10 times, always closed when parked. No idea how it would get clogged if was kept closed most of the time. Like @yrwei52 said, it's not part of the original maintenance schedule so it feels like a cop-out excuse.

Thanks everyone, I think I have a better idea on how to approach the situation.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know how to maintain the moonroof drains? I’d love to have that info. This was necessary on our BMW X 5. It was a very simple procedure done back at the top of the rear hatch. Hadn’t thought about it on this car, but something we should all know probably.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think you will get your 96 dollars back, but they certainly should fix it for free after their initial fix failed. It obviously isn't the sun roof drain since they tried that and it didn't fix it. Before they do any work at the dealership make it clear that you won't pay for the 2nd fix since you paid for it already.

Upvote 0
I don't think you will get your 96 dollars back, but they certainly should fix it for free after their initial fix failed. It obviously isn't the sun roof drain since they tried that and it didn't fix it. Before they do any work at the dealership make it clear that you won't pay for the 2nd fix since you paid for it already.
Yeah most likely not, I just want the car fixed without having to pay more haha. Those are definitely good points, appreciate it!

Upvote 0
I have not researched it much, but have heard on the radio that a little compressed hair is enough to blow out the drains, usually. It was a 1990’s repeat of the The Car Guys on NPR...

I would use my little 2 gallon air compressor if I had the same problem, but I have never had a car with a sunroof leak...but my cars are almost always garaged...

BTW, a 2 gallon air compressor is a little small but, it does the job to fill the tires and clean the car by blowing dust out of cracks and crevices,

Where that dust settles next is unknown, because I am certainly just moving it around inside the cabin. If I am anal enough I use the air, and have the vacuum hose near by to suck up dust.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
$96 for a warranty repair? I'd speak with the GM at this dealership and complain. No way should you have been charged for this 'service'.

Have you closely inspected the door seals in this area? Can you tell where the whistling is coming from exactly? Take a close look at the seals on the sunroof as well.

Upvote 0
$96 for a warranty repair? I'd speak with the GM at this dealership and complain. No way should you have been charged for this 'service'.

Have you closely inspected the door seals in this area? Can you tell where the whistling is coming from exactly? Take a close look at the seals on the sunroof as well.
I'll definitely go back and inspect it again, but I have cleaned the door seals and nothing appears to be ripped or out of place. The wind noise happens around from window seal so I tried cleaning the plastic portion where the top of the window meets the door frame, but no luck. Perhaps the door isn't fitting properly, not completely sure.

Upvote 1
Maybe remove the A pillar and see what's behind it. It's a 5 min job.

Be carefull not to mess around with the airbag thats rolled behind. You can disconnect car battery if you want.

The upper side connector clip that holds it from flying away can be removed without cutting and can be reused.

20210104_120930.jpg

Upvote 0
Back