Water Leak In Rear Cargo Area

:
Mazda Protege5
I recently discovered water under the floor of the rear cargo area on my 03 P5. Both the spare tire well and areas behind the rear wheel wells. No rusted out wheel wells. Happens if the car is stationary in the rain. I originally was thought it was the rear quarter windows. But, local glass places want $400 each to replace. Not happening on a 17 year old car. I injected high-flow silicone around the rear windows, but still have a leak somewhere. No wet spots or staining on the headliner. Maybe around the rear tailight bolts or where the hatch struts attach to the body?

Anyone else run into this issue?

I recently discovered water under the floor of the rear cargo area on my 03 P5. Both the spare tire well and areas behind the rear wheel wells. No rusted out wheel wells. Happens if the car is stationary in the rain. I originally was thought it was the rear quarter windows. But, local glass places want $400 each to replace. Not happening on a 17 year old car. I injected high-flow silicone around the rear windows, but still have a leak somewhere. No wet spots or staining on the headliner. Maybe around the rear tailight bolts or where the hatch struts attach to the body?

Anyone else run into this issue?

I was just pulling out the jack and related stuff in that right side compartment in the back of my Protege5 yesterday to get to the taillight bolt and I found that there was like an inch of water in there at the bottom which is kind of gross. First time I noticed it and I'm not terribly bothered, but I live in a very wet climate and I'm concerned about what it might do to my car long-term. Between this and my slightly leaky sunroof, it smells kind of mildewy and gross in there sometimes, which I don't prefer. I'd like to keep my basically completely rust free P5 as clean and dry inside as possible for as long as I can.

I'll also be interested to know if anyone else has had similar problems and if/how they fixed them.

Ben

Gidday! Had the same problem on both of my P5's, common leak points are the taillights, the tailgate seal itself, and the body seam running just under the light (that's where mine leaked) aaaand the cabin vents on either side.

Strip the panels out, jump inside with a torch and get a buddy to hose the car down. With a bit of luck you'll see where the water is coming in from. Good luck!

I had exactly the same issue a couple of months ago. I thought it might be the quarter windows so I removed the interior panels around the windows and confirmed it with the garden hose. The original seals were just old and dried out. Since I had already removed the interior panels, all the local auto glass place had to do was remove the windows and reseal/reinstall them. Removing/reinstalling the interior myself brought the price way down, so total cost was $120 for both.

When I had a leak in my P5 a few years ago (spare tire well was collecting water), it was the hatch weatherstripping. I deduced that it just needed some new sealant. Used some 3M Black Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive and it fixed the problem. That stuff is messy though so use with care :)

OR, just use a straight pick, ice pick, punch, or even a philips screwdriver. Pop a couple holes in the bottom of the spare tire well, and each corner for the water to drain out of. Problem solved.

Really no different than the inside of a door frame, water drips down the window, inside the door, and drains out holes in the bottom. If you use a little zinc galvanizer, paint, or whatever you won't have to worry about rust either.

Gidday! Had the same problem on both of my P5's, common leak points are the taillights, the tailgate seal itself, and the body seam running just under the light (that's where mine leaked) aaaand the cabin vents on either side.

Strip the panels out, jump inside with a torch and get a buddy to hose the car down. With a bit of luck you'll see where the water is coming in from. Good luck!

Wow, be careful using an oxyacetylene torch near your gas tank! :)

torch
[tôrCH]
NOUN​

1. historical
    a portable means of illumination such as a piece of wood or cloth soaked in tallow or an oil lamp on a pole, sometimes carried ceremonially.
  2. BRITISH
    a portable battery-operated electric lamp; a flashlight.
VERB
informal

1. set fire to.
    "the shops had been looted and torched"
    synonyms:
    burn · set fire to · set on fire · set light to · set alight · incinerate · ignite · kindle · put/set a match to · light · start · touch off · reduce to ashes · destroy by fire

torch
[tôrCH]

NOUN

• historical
      a portable means of illumination such as a piece of wood or cloth soaked in tallow or an oil lamp on a pole, sometimes carried ceremonially.
    • BRITISH
      a portable battery-operated electric lamp; a flashlight.

VERB

informal

• set fire to.
      "the shops had been looted and torched"
      synonyms:
      burn · set fire to · set on fire · set light to · set alight · incinerate · ignite · kindle · put/set a match to · light · start · touch off · reduce to ashes · destroy by fire

What is the point of this? You're both talking about the same thing, he's just using different slang.

I think maybe we were both worried that a North American might try to find a water leak with a blow torch. Lol.

But let's not go into the literal meaning of "bloody"! :)

I did what pb4ugotobed suggested and drilled little holes in the rear corners but under the spare tire, I removed the big grommets and cut a little notch in them then reinstalled them.

I didn't want to drill holes if I didn't have to.

They've been working fine for years but the drivers side rotted out so I just stuffed an oily rag in there to seal it and help stop the rust. Lol

So you drilled 3 little holes and notched one grommet hole? Your car is pink?

Yeah, I drilled 1/8" holes in the back corners and there is at least one (maybe two or three? I forget) big two-inch round "plugs/grommets" under the spare tire.

I removed them and made a small cut/notch in its edge then reinstalled it.

If I just put a hole in the plug there would still be more than a 1/8" of water that would sit in there because of the height of the grommet.

My car's red. Maybe they skimped on the red paint under the carpets and the primer is showing through?? I dunno?

I'd dig out the trunk and take a picture but it's cold and snowing right now. Lol

Howdy! New to the forum. '02 p5, not mine, but my daughter's. I just get to fix it! Had several leaks that needed addressing. Spent the whole of a Saturday figuring them out. Symptoms: soaked passenger front foot well, mold on mat. Soaked passenger back carpet, mold on mat and seat. Half inch standing water in spare tire well. 3" standing water in passenger side wheel well. 1" standing water in driver side wheel well.
No water marks on ceiling or around windows. Checked for clogs in sunroof, none but blew them out anyways!
Knew the leak in front was either from under dash or window. Double checked all seals and noticed an oddity half way round the window. Rubber seal had been unseated from window.... definitely enough to soak the floor. Pushed and reseated, pulled up carpet and stuffed towels to stop up water.
Back floor and seat: after much time(and water) found that where the operational window meets the stationary wing there's the trim that runs down into the door. Normally water runs out thru the weep holes. In this case it was running out thru the bottom of the door panel and onto the carpet....soaking both the carpet and seat. I took the panel off and saw the plastic membrane had come off (sealant failed). Water was filling up the plastic and pulled the bottom of it lose and caused it to run into the car. Resealed and put the panel on.
Trunk: 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤦🤦that was a mystery. I dried all the areas. But that one side well keeps getting water. I'm in Washington state....lots of rain this winter. I think I've narrowed it to behind the bumper. Since p5 wraps it's more like the quarter panel.
Anyone ever take that off? Fairly straightforward? I'mma fairly handy gal, but hate to get in over my head! Sorry it was long...
Also... y'all know there's little rubber plugs in those wells? No need to drill. Pop it out, drain and replace.

Welcome to the forum!

Boot / trunk leaks are tricky. Common areas are the light seals, the seal around the side window and the body seam that runs just below the tail light (that's where mine was)

There should be a visible dust/ damp trail from where the leak is all the way down to the well

Bumper is easy enough to remove, a few screws in each wheel well, 2x torx (Why Mazda, Why?) screws up top, 2x 14mm nuts underneath and 2x 10mm nuts on the inside under all the plastic trim. Hardest part is being a hand contortionist to get the 10mm nuts back on when your finished!

Good luck!

Thanks for that....have not found any water spots, dirt trails or anything. Which is leading me to behind either the moldings or bumper. And yes, why can't they just use the same scrws?!?! Honestly! Will be moving out the Silver Fox to put the P5 in for a few days to dry it out again and spotlight hose water runoff. Such a puzzle 😁

My leak was from the gas cap area.
I found it by hosing down different areas of the car.

I still have a small leak from somewhere I can't find. But after sealing that up I get much less water in.

Back