Washer Fluid Question

My (US) 2017 CX-5 GT w/ Premium Package gave me a warning in the multi information display area (the right-hand circle in the instrument cluster) stating that the windshield washer fluid was low. I don’t see anything in the manual describing this feature however. It only mentions the warning light which, as others have mentioned, has a footnote stating “some models”.

My (US) 2017 CX-5 GT w/ Premium Package gave me a warning in the multi information display area (the right-hand circle in the instrument cluster) stating that the windshield washer fluid was low. I dont see anything in the manual describing this feature however. It only mentions the warning light which, as others have mentioned, has a footnote stating some models.

BETTER than an idiot light!
Now I'm gonna let mine run low just to see it. ;)

Most of the time I have to flip the lever up/down to see if setting is Auto or OFF. Next, there's already everything wired and connected with the rear wiper. Effectively - why can't AUTO control both front and rear?

Totally agree. You've spoken 2 of my 3 wishes as far as wipers are concerned:
1. Auto wiper mode indication. (Even bigger challenge at night when control lever is invisible. I'll trade illuminated power window buttons for illuminated wiper lever anytime, but yrwei52 may correct me that it's technically infeasible.)
2. Sync up rear wiper.
3. Prevent wiper from being stuck in the middle of windshield if driver happens to shut off engine at the wrong moment. (Is this technically feasible?)

Hello!

I am currently out of town, and I just ran out of washer fluid. It’s no big deal, but doesn’t the 17’ CX-5 GT have a light that pops up on the dash telling you it’s low? I swear I saw it In the manual, but obviously I read it wrong.

I don’t get why these higher end vehicles don’t have warning lights?
Just confirmed today that mine has an indicator light.

4d85c477d759085a49563adf8e7edffd.jpg

there are 2 washer tank sizes for these cars, like many mazdas... the larger tank will have the sensor, the smaller tank doesn't
you can either: add the switch to the smaller tank yourself by drilling a hole at the bottom of it... or swap to a larger tank and add the sensor at the same time

Totally agree. You've spoken 2 of my 3 wishes as far as wipers are concerned:
1. Auto wiper mode indication. (Even bigger challenge at night when control lever is invisible. I'll trade illuminated power window buttons for illuminated wiper lever anytime, but yrwei52 may correct me that it's technically infeasible.)
2. Sync up rear wiper.
3. Prevent wiper from being stuck in the middle of windshield if driver happens to shut off engine at the wrong moment. (Is this technically feasible?)

AFAIK no vehicle has an illuminated indicator to advise which level on the wiper stalk you are on
Regarding synchronisation of wipers, over here some cars do when you engage reverse
I think I can recall one car out there that when you turn it off, the wiper will finish it's movement and return to the normal position but for the life of me I can't remember the make and model (gah)

Last edited:
I think I can recall one car out there that when you turn it off, the wiper will finish it's movement and return to the normal position but for the life of me I can't remember the make and model (gah)

Good to know this feature has existed somewhere. But as long as the Aussie CX-5 doesn't have this feature I feel better, at least the US model is not being treated as 2nd class citizen (again)! :)

Some models means Canadian models.

The low windshield-washer light was only put into Canadian-spec models. I'm not sure if this is a Canadian-law requirement, or just something manufacturers do given the climate.

it's because of the climate. many manufacturers, such as Honda for example has a larger windshield washer reservoir here in Canada VS. the american spec version.

Looked at my late '17 just now (USA model), using a flashlight. Looks like i have the large tank, So expect i have the washer fluid level sensor.

Here's a thought...measure how much the reservoir consumes when filling it...it's likely an indication of capacity. I usually fill up with at least 1/2 of a windshield washer bottle when I proactively fill the reservoir. That's at least 2 litres / one-half gallon I believe. I haven't filled the CX-5 from empty, but I know my Element would take the full bottle from empty and ask for more.

IskiE

Back