Washed my car for the first time

:
2018 CX-5 Sport
It came out good. Then I used Griot's liquid gloss poly wax. What I notice is, quite a bit of water got captured between the rear doors and jam. If my car gets caught in a big rain storm I will need to keep the rear doors open afterwards to let the water dry out. It is a potential place for rust to develop. The front doors drained a lot better.

That's not going to rust the car. But you could dry it too. No need to leave the doors hanging open. [emoji3]

Last edited:
Did you cover yours? That piano black on the upper trims will be a swirl-n-scratch magnet.

I have one scratch that the car had from the dealer. Have to have just the right light to see it. Mine are a matt black, not glossy. I didn't put any wax on the pillars they seem to be plastic.

Last edited:
Yeah, have them on my Infiniti. Not a big fan myself. Lots of micro scratches.

The bottom half of the rear bumper on the new 3 HB is all piano black. As is some of the trim around the grill.

I mentioned this on the focus group survey mazda sent me. Also HEAVILY BELABORED the cold-weather/turbo point, lol

It came out good. Then I used Griot's liquid gloss poly wax. What I notice is, quite a bit of water got captured between the rear doors and jam. If my car gets caught in a big rain storm I will need to keep the rear doors open afterwards to let the water dry out. It is a potential place for rust to develop. The front doors drained a lot better.

Use a towel to dry? Also, water wouldn't get in the doors during a rainstorm unless the door were open. And I don't think rust would develop there anyway.

If my car gets caught in a big rain storm I will need to keep the rear doors open afterwards to let the water dry out. It is a potential place for rust to develop. The front doors drained a lot better.

I actually hose down the inside door jams and finish off drying with leaf blow dryer. No rust for me. Then again I don't live in area with snow.

Use a towel to dry? Also, water wouldn't get in the doors during a rainstorm unless the door were open. And I don't think rust would develop there anyway.

I dry with an absorber. It is basically a sheet of sponge that won't scratch and soaks the water up like, well, a sponge. Getting the car bone dry takes minutes. Have to ring it out often. I think it is one of the best car wash accessories there is.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Clean-To...EvxBKCyS1LmdN_SXUsA_Mn3_JSp_2xxYaAoa7EALw_wcB

I have owned 3 CX-5's. When washing, waxing, drying etc... a primary goal is to NOT apply any pressure/weight on the body piece between the top of the doors and the roof of the vehicle.
If a person's palm and, or, heel of their hand applies pressure here it will ding/dent the metal. For this reason a telescoping rod with microfiber pad is the best technique I've found to wash the CX-5 roof.

Telescoping rod? [emoji23] 3d CX-5 here as well.

You all take this stuff really seriously dont you?

Telescoping rod? [emoji23] 3d CX-5 here as well.

You all take this stuff really seriously don*t you?

Car washing is a very serious business (rofl) I wasn't as sophisticated and used a step ladder to reach the roof, I was careful not to put much weight on the body panels only used the shoulder of the roof line to balance myself.

Car washing is a very serious business (rofl) I wasn't as sophisticated and used a step ladder to reach the roof, I was careful not to put much weight on the body panels only used the shoulder of the roof line to balance myself.

This is a link to the Griots Garage brand telescoping rod kit, including the microfiber pads which attache to the end of the rod. I find the rod useful for both CX-5 roof as well as wheel washing:

https://www.griotsgarage.com/produc...MI3Jimicaq4QIVaB-tBh3_IwROEAQYBSABEgLncvD_BwE

Im interested to see how the Polywax turned out. Any observations.

A good idea is to use a small amount of polywax on your jambs and sills. I use a quick detailer

Back