Warranty Ending and Annoying Brake Issues / Noises

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD
I have a 2016.5 CX-5 AWD GT I purchased in April 2017 and the warranty is about to expire. When I first got the car, I had it in the shop 3 or 4 times trying to fix a squeaking noise that would occur when rolling forward slowly (foot off the gas and off the brake). That never really got resolved, and sort of went away (it still happens every once in awhile, but it's not as bad as it once was). Other strange noises I've encountered with this car are
1) under hard braking a "rubbing" type noise. No pulsating to it like the ABS would do though
2) squeaky brakes ALL THE TIME which drives me nuts. Yes it does eventually go away after 15 minutes of stop and go driving, but I've driven many cars in my life and I've never had one with such squeaky brakes before and I know some will say this is "normal" when the brakes are cold, but there has to be some way of keeping this from happening.
3) and the latest issue....when going into reverse with my foot on the brake (especially after being in drive...like doing a quick turn around during a 3 point turn), I get a horrible creaking door / rusty spring type noise that's very loud (people nearby turn and look).

The car only has 22,500 miles on it.

I'm wondering if there are any TSBs out there for these issues or if anyone knows the solutions to these problems I can suggest to a mechanic. Before my warranty ends I'd like to try and get these resolved.

Thank you for your time.

Edit: Note, problem #1 only occurs maybe once every 3 months when slamming on the brakes unexpectantly. #2 is year-round (and I live in the Sacramento, CA area, so not especially cold). Problem #3 is about once or twice a week. I've put off getting these issues fixed because they are both so intermittent and would probably be hard for a mechanic to diagnose if it wasn't happening all the time.

Last edited:
I googled for you and found these:

I recall seeing another TSB recently for the dealer to apply anti-squeal tape to the back of the pads, but I can't find that now - maybe someone else remembers...

Last edited:
Just a quick update on this issue to close out the thread. I took the car to the shop and they inspected the brakes. They couldn't find any indication of a caliper sticking, but they did note that the brakes / rotors were "extremely dusty". The compound in the OEM pads must be very soft, the car doesn't have the many miles on it, gets washed fairly often, and is always in the garage. I was told to blast some compressed air in there every once in awhile to best sure to clean out the dust.

Any one else experiencing super dusty brakes on 2016 CX-5s? Is there brand of brakes I should switch too for whenever I need the brakes replaced (mechanic noted that I was at 8mm on the fronts, 7mm on the backs).

Last edited:
Just a quick update on this issue to close out the thread. I took the car to the shop and they inspected the brakes. They couldn't find any indication of a caliper sticking, but they did not that the brakes / rotors were "extremely dusty". The compound in the OEM pads must be very soft, the car doesn't have the many miles on it, gets washed fairly often, and is always in the garage. I was told to blast some compressed air in there every once in awhile to best sure to clean out the dust.

Any one else experiencing super dusty brakes on 2016 CX-5s? Is there brand of brakes I should switch too for whenever I need the brakes replaced (mechanic noted that I was at 8mm on the fronts, 7mm on the backs).
IMO brake dust usually is not the cause of brake noise, but disk pad characteristics, and glazed rotor are. You may also have other issues based on several TSBs on brakes. Your problem very likely is from your rear disk brake calipers. It’s a known issue for 2016 / 2016.5 CX-5 depending on the date code on calipers. Read TSB R052/16C for more details.

Honestly if your Mazda dealer can’t get things resolved with warranty; you should always contact Customer Experience Center, Mazda North American Operations and seek for help before your warranty runs out.

TSB 04-005/16: Noise from Rear Brakes Due To Brake Drag

TSB R052/16C: Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

2016 rear brake TSB resolution

@yrwi52 I brought in both of those TSBs, but the dealership couldn't find any evidence of the excessive wear on the pads, and couldn't reproduce the noises that I had been hearing. I wasn't surprised by that because it was always intermittent. I still have another month and half on my warranty, and if the issue does pop up again I'll certainly make a stink about, but so far the noises are gone ever since I got the car back. If nothing else, at least the issue is now "on the books" for my car, so if it gets worse after my warranty is up, I can point to when I came in for it and hopefully that'll help my cause.

Back