Warped Rotors?

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hey all,

Just curious if any of you have run into warped front rotors with less than 20k miles on your CX-5? We have 8,000 on our 2019, and I believe the front one's are starting to warp (getting some steering wheel shake when braking). I am going to see if I can get this covered under warranty since I have less than 12k miles.

Anyway, I don't brake hard, so I'm not sure what's going on. Anyone else having issues?

Thanks!

Not on a cx5 but I did have rotor issues on an '18 mazda3 that they warranty replaced (front) when it was bout 4 months old with 10k miles.

I think it's 12mo / 12k miles for "adjustments" such as rotors.

That is pretty early but if the brakes were severely overheated or the wheel lugnuts over torqued I guess it could happen.

Another reason for pedal pulsing might be deposits on the rotors. That can be fixed by cleaning them.

I get all of my service done at Mazda (just had one oil change/tire rotation), so I would imagine they know how to torque their lug nuts correctly.

Anyway, I have an appointment with Mazda for next week. I am hoping they will replace my rotors. Guess we will see.

Hey all,

Just curious if any of you have run into warped front rotors with less than 20k miles on your CX-5? We have 8,000 on our 2019, and I believe the front one's are starting to warp (getting some steering wheel shake when braking). I am going to see if I can get this covered under warranty since I have less than 12k miles.

Anyway, I don't brake hard, so I'm not sure what's going on. Anyone else having issues?

Thanks!
This guy got his “pitted and out of round” rear rotors replaced under warranty on his 2019 GT-R at 6,262 miles:

Issue with rear rotors?

jman,
In your case, definitely go to the dealer.

For me, I always torque-check the wheel nuts. Don't trust dealers' air wrench. I once caught a dealer mechanic forgot to tighten one of the wheel nuts. (I do 100ft-lb. Easy to remember.)

Uneven torque would cause brake dust accumulating unevenly on the rotors. After a few thousands of miles, you feel the pulsing when braking.

Hey all,

Thanks!
You'll probably find this is just uneven pad material build-up on the rotors - often caused by keeping you foot on the brake while stopped at a light, etc., which in turn presses the pad to the hot disc and 'glues' a bit of the pad to the rotor surface. (Brake rotors get very hot, even if you don't think you 'brake hard'.)

Try this...Find a straight, deserted, stretch of road close to your house. Accelerate to 60 mph and brake as hard as you can coming to a near complete stop, repeat a couple of times (3-4 in total). Then drive home and park, but without leaving the brakes pressed (or e-brake) and let it cool down. You may well find this re-beds the brakes and scrapes off the unwanted pad material, fixing your problem.

If not, then take it to the dealer, who will probably turn the rotors.

Uneven torque would cause brake dust accumulating unevenly on the rotors. After a few thousands of miles, you feel the pulsing when braking.

Uneven torque has nothing to do with uneven brake dust. Instead, it will tend to warp the wheels and brake rotors - which will cause the vibration. But it has to be highly uneven to do that.

You didn't mention if you drive in hilly terrain. One steep, long stretch riding the brakes might do it. Or regular but less extreme ups and down could do it as well.

First time coming down out the Appalachians around the WV-VA border on the way to FL, with long stretches of around 3-5% grade with some twists and turns mixed in requiring additional braking, my front rotors went from fine to warped in a Toyota Sienna without a lot of miles on it. Next time I made that trip I went with break-release-brake-release instead riding the brake wherever possible to keep the heat buildup down. No such problem since.

Back