Visualization video of 2.5L turbo engine technology

Very nice. Thanks for posting that. Feel even better about my turbo now.

As always, thanks for posting this stuff.

My obsession with watching videos/reading articles on the CX-5 I developed when car shopping has not subsided.

One of the comments referenced this MotoIQ article that (in part) discusses how Mazda has dealt with the carbon build-up that Direct Inject engines are prone to.

Page 6:
To eliminate the problem of intake valve deposits that plague current direct gasoline injection engines, the engineers at Mazda determined that deposits are formed when intake valve temperatures fall below 400 degrees C. Measures were taken so that the intake valve would operate above this point to reduce deposit formation. One of the biggest issues with direct injection engines is a build up of deposits on the intake valve. Mazda determined that this was largely due to the intake valve being too cool. A lot of analysis went into designing the heat paths away from the valves to keep them at the proper temperature to avoid deposit formation.

You gotta wonder if being an engineer with Mazda is as much fun as it sounds like it would be.

As always, thanks for posting this stuff.

My obsession with watching videos/reading articles on the CX-5 I developed when car shopping has not subsided.

One of the comments referenced this MotoIQ article that (in part) discusses how Mazda has dealt with the carbon build-up that Direct Inject engines are prone to.

Page 6:

You gotta wonder if being an engineer with Mazda is as much fun as it sounds like it would be.

Interesting link, thanks for posting.

Yes, the GDI carbon buildup was definitely a concern for me for longer term ownership, Mazda has taken some steps to address it.

Still considering a Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil treatment at some point if I keep the vehicle long term. The GDI system is still more prone to carbon buildup than port injection.

(see here at 10 minutes)

Last edited:
Will probably put a partial can of Seafoam into the throttle body intake (the most effective path) by next year, followed by an immediate oil change. For 10 bucks, cheap insurance to prevent the carbon buildup shown in that video.

(Info diagram)

That's an first gen CX-5 in the video above so it could be the 2.0L engine. However, I don't know if anyone on here has actually reported any actual issues with buildup over 100,000 miles.

There's a member in Indonesia who does a lot of his own maintenance and puts up some really interesting posts in the How To forum.

Here's his video of cleaning the carbon off of his 2013 CX-5 intake valves @ 18,000 miles.

eta: OOPS! This is the same video you posted. I assume you found it here.

Last edited:
Will probably put a partial can of Seafoam into the throttle body intake (the most effective path) by next year, followed by an immediate oil change. For 10 bucks, cheap insurance to prevent the carbon buildup shown in that video.

(Info diagram)

I'm still a little hazy on how these products (or even Top Tier gas) can work on a CDI engine, when the stuff does not flow over the intake valves.

Interesting link, thanks for posting.

Yes, the GDI carbon buildup was definitely a concern for me for longer term ownership, Mazda has taken some steps to address it.

Still considering a Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil treatment at some point if I keep the vehicle long term. The GDI system is still more prone to carbon buildup than port injection.

(see here at 10 minutes)

My friends mechanic recommends chevron gas to mitigate this. Is this true?

Back