Vinyl Wrapped My Key Fob

AuraNova

Reflection of Elegance
:
Florida
:
'20 Blue CX-30
So, while sitting home during this strange time we're having, you go through your mind to figure out how to keep yourself busy.

Back about a year and a half ago, I wanted to make my Chevy Cruze I owned at the time more customizable. I had seen people do full vinyl wraps on their cars inside and out, and I thought it would be a good idea to take some interior trim and do something similar. I was theming the car to a purple and blue. The wrap I found was this beautiful matte indigo blue from 3M.

I started on the radio bezel. While it took 3 tries to do it right, I think it turned out well. I wanted to do more with the center console area, but never had the time. So the remaining wrap sat in my closet. Here's a photo from the Mazda dealer that's selling my old car:

Cruze-009.jpg

Fast forward to 2 days ago. As I was sitting in the CX-30, I was reminded of how the interior blue looked like the indigo wrap I still had. So I brought out a swatch to compare. Lo and behold, it matched up as perfect as you can get it. In my opinion, about 100% accurate. So I thought about what I might like to do in the future. Maybe get some of the center console to match? Maybe just trim the rotary knobs?

The day before, I saw some pics of a special edition key fob in Japan that matched the paint of the car you bought. That inspired me to do my own version of the key fobs. I only did one for now. This was the result:

CX-30 keyfob.jpg

I wrapped this in one try. Front and back. Granted, it's not perfect. You can see some imperfections here and there. I think this was a great first attempt. It also gives me an idea on how to improve wrapping the plastic better if I decide to redo it. I still have a ton of this stuff. So it's not going to waste.

One of the complaints I hear is how this new key fob design felt more flimsy compared to the previous version. After wrapping this, it felt more sturdy in the hand. Maybe I am just imaging this. There is also no interference or issues with operation either.

Sorry I don't have more pics to compare and show next to the interior. I might come back to this in a couple of days and put up more comparison pics.

That's pretty cool. The bezel looks nice!

I love doing stuff like this...makes me smile every time I use something I've made or repaired or customized. I wish I had the confidence to pull trim work. Actually, I lack the confidence to put it back together right.

So what did the dealer say when he saw it? Did he even take note?

Thanks!

When he saw the bezel, he seemed kinda impressed. Honestly, I don't think he cared much.

The bezel was a huge pain to get off. It is held by 5 clips. I needed some trim prying tools to get it loose. In comparison, putting the vinyl wrap on it was easier. It was a fun project to do despite having to start over twice.

The fob was kinda fun too, although it didn't take me long to do. Just doing small customization things here and there just makes your car feel more yours in the long run. Even simple stuff like putting different color lighting inside your car.

Funny, I was lamenting in another thread that I was in that stage of ownership where I was dreading the cost of accessorizing more than I was dreading the new car payments!

Last edited:
Sweet! Yeah there's a few imperfections but it was the first shot and it did turn out awesome! Jus rock it untill its all scuffed and scraped then do it again lol.

Looks great and I love that color!

That's pretty cool. The bezel looks nice!

I love doing stuff like this...makes me smile every time I use something I've made or repaired or customized. I wish I had the confidence to pull trim work. Actually, I lack the confidence to put it back together right.

So what did the dealer say when he saw it? Did he even take note?

Pulling the trim isn't all that hard, just get a nice set of trim prying tools. The nerve racking part is the cracking those clips make when pulling them out. I still cringe when I hear it, expecting the piece to break. Lol

An update: So I finally decided not to be lazy and take a pic of the fob with the interior yesterday.

CX-30 fob and interior.jpg

To be honest, it looks better than I remembered.

@AuraNova Looks fantastic! Nice photography skills too...Did you wrap the center console as well? If so, how did you deal with the stitching?

A How-To of sorts would make for a great thread or use of our new Resources feature if you're up for it...If you post one in the CX-30 forum, you can use the thread prefix "Guide".

Oh, the console is already blue. In the US, most trims/packages (Base, Select, Preferred) have a blue trim on the console and dashboard. Premium has brown. The blue looks really nice with all black seats, rather than the greige option.

Oh, the console is already blue. In the US, most trims/packages (Base, Select, Preferred) have a blue trim on the console and dashboard. Premium has brown. The blue looks really nice with all black seats, rather than the greige option.
I didn't know that. Next time I'm at the dealer, when all this virus mess blows over, I'll have to check out the CX-30.

Latest posts

Back