Very faint high pitched "mosquito" sound

You are right, more pronounced in the cold! I have audio recording so it's loud enough to catch on a video recording.

Can I bump this thread? I have about 1300 miles on a 2021 Sig, I’m getting the exact same sound described, and I faintly heard it in one of the posted videos previously in this thread.

Is there a fix, or has the exact root cause been determined? Does it go away with break in? Have dealers more or less panned this as “normal”?

Or, did I simply not search around enough and there’s another, more comprehensive thread that discusses the problem and remedy.

Love the car otherwise. Just want to drive without the radio always on to drown out the sound.
can not be normal as mine randomly cuts in and out but only for a few seconds. People try to relate it to the fuel pump, I firmly believe its in the instrument cluster, maybe tachometer noise. Very annoying in a otherwise quiet cabin.

I can't "not hear" it - and it's worse this time of year. For me, it seems that dry and cool/cold conditions make it worse. It's enough that I'm going to really try to figure it out - but not when it's a high of 27 for the day and winds blowing about 20mph! So, will wait for summer - and then do some deep inspection then. Of course, it will be harder to determine as the noise isn't as prevalent in warmer temps. My dealer really wants to write it off as the high pressure fuel pump (and it is high pressure!) - but I still say there should be a way to dampen or otherwise mute it.
Not the fuel pump, my dealer tried the same excuse. Mine is a ticking noise in the instrument cluster, also randomly stops and starts, but only stops for a few seconds.

Not the fuel pump, my dealer tried the same excuse. Mine is a ticking noise in the instrument cluster, also randomly stops and starts, but only stops for a few seconds.

It seems like the sound you're describing isn't same sound people are talking about in this thread. You mentioned an audio recording - if you have it, please create a new thread describing the sound you're hearing and attach the recording to the post. Instructions for uploading/attaching media to posts can be found here.

Thanks.

Ok so after weeks of investigation with Mazda techs on my 2021 signature here are the findings. Before I sure it was not the fuel pump, I was wrong! In coordination with my local dealer we did a test. With the engine running power was disconnected from the secondary pump (injector pump) if you prefer. The result, instant silence in the cabin! The resonance emitted from this high pressure pump travels through fuel lines or any hard connections into the instrument cluster area of the cabin. The result, a buzzing noise! basically this is a design fault on the CX5 Turbo. Mazda is currently changing out fuel pump hoping the new one may be different also they are trying to insulate the other hard connections. So not peoples imagination or being to picky on foreign noises, its real!

Retract my comment, it is the secondary fuel pump! tested and confirmed by my dealer!

Ok so after weeks of investigation with Mazda techs on my 2021 signature here are the findings. Before I sure it was not the fuel pump, I was wrong! In coordination with my local dealer we did a test. With the engine running power was disconnected from the secondary pump (injector pump) if you prefer. The result, instant silence in the cabin! The resonance emitted from this high pressure pump travels through fuel lines or any hard connections into the instrument cluster area of the cabin. The result, a buzzing noise! basically this is a design fault on the CX5 Turbo. Mazda is currently changing out fuel pump hoping the new one may be different also they are trying to insulate the other hard connections. So not peoples imagination or being to picky on foreign noises, its real!
Great update, thanks for sharing. Please keep us updated with any additional findings!

Great to hear the issue has been identified. Total fail by Mazda for missing this. They put so much effort into refining the cabin yet somehow didn’t realize or care to fix an electronic buzzing sound in the highest trim levels.

I don't think anyone ever insinuated that (referring to the "people's imaginations" comment).

Additionally I think someone earlier in this thread (or possibly in a related thread) posted that a dealer service tech had pinpointed their issue to the fuel pump/fuel pump line, and that the fix was some added insulation to a bracket of some sort. Sounds like the same thing you're describing.

I don't think anyone ever insinuated that (referring to the "people's imaginations" comment).

Additionally I think someone earlier in this thread (or possibly in a related thread) posted that a dealer service tech had pinpointed their issue to the fuel pump/fuel pump line, and that the fix was some added insulation to a bracket of some sort. Sounds like the same thing you're describing.
Actually my local dealer initially insinuated that, so thank you, good to clarify that. Are you experiencing the same issue?
My fuel lines received the insulation treatment the first week of ownership, did not solve the problem, the condition continues to analyzed.

Actually my local dealer initially insinuated that, so thank you, good to clarify that. Are you experiencing the same issue?
My fuel lines received the insulation treatment the first week of ownership, did not solve the problem, the condition continues to analyzed.

No I don't have this issue.

The insulation fix may work for some, for others (like yourself) it may require a new pump, or maybe just more insulation on either the fuel lines or the lines they may be in contact with. Hope this solves your issue.

If possible, once you get your car back, could you snap a few pics of the insulated lines so we can see the fix?

Also, earlier in this thread you mentioned that you have video/audio recording of the issue. If you could upload that (instructions found here), it would be very helpful to others who may be experiencing a similar sound.

jcmac, keep us updated on what you eventually do (or have done by the dealer) to erradicate this noise. I'm still convinced there's a pretty easy DIY that could solve this - once it's clear how one is done! Hopefully yours can be the one that shows us what is done!

jcmac, keep us updated on what you eventually do (or have done by the dealer) to erradicate this noise. I'm still convinced there's a pretty easy DIY that could solve this - once it's clear how one is done! Hopefully yours can be the one that shows us what is done!
I will for sure, but DIY fix will be first done by Mazda. This vehicle only marks 1100 kilometres.

I'm a little late to the part, but I'll chime in....

Seems like the injectors/pump whatever might be it. Mine is like a little electronic ticking noise that goes up in frequency when accelerating. Conversely, when coasting in a parking lot and the the car slows down/engine braking/downshifting, the noise completely goes away for that moment, I assume, when fuel is no longer being pumped?

Can you please post the recording?
Separately, I’ll try to get one next time it cools down (cold front moving in today). I had a video from before, but I feel like the noise is now more pronounced (contrary to what some have said— that it diminishes a bit after break-in). In my case (with what I hear), I’m confident the dealer will not give me the ol’ “we can’t reproduce it” or “we don’t hear what you’re hearing”. Just waiting until service #1 to raise the issue since it’s only a minor annoyance. Still, it’s a sound I feel like a brand new car should not have (ideally). Sounds almost like a diesel sometimes.

I'm a little late to the part, but I'll chime in....

Seems like the injectors/pump whatever might be it. Mine is like a little electronic ticking noise that goes up in frequency when accelerating. Conversely, when coasting in a parking lot and the the car slows down/engine braking/downshifting, the noise completely goes away for that moment, I assume, when fuel is no longer being pumped?
That's exactly what it is, my dealership did the test by briefly shutting down the pump.... Noise stops. They don't have a solution and in my case it's looking like they are not going to deal with the problem. It's been a battle with Mazda since I took delivery of the vehicle, not a pleasant experience!

Back