Very faint high pitched "mosquito" sound

just a follow up...... went to dealer for the free multi point inspection and
free oil/filter change........ brought up the problems I listed above and
main mechanic said they all do that .......... brought up checking the trans fluid
for the free multi point inspection and he said it was a sealed trans , I said, no
it has a dipstick and can be checked.... he said it wasn't part of the inspection..

asked what kind of oil they used when changing the oil and
he said 0-20 full synthetic , so at least they
did that right........

I think I may be the odd one out, but I rather enjoy the faint whine which I believe is the turbo whine.

My car is 2 months old with just over 1000km/600miles and just done with breaking in and first dealer inspection. It's my first turbocharged car tho I've driven other turbos which had different whine but they all have distinctive blow off valve sound which this 2.5 Turbo do not make.(maybe because I never hit above 5k rpm or redline yet)

Don't forget that this Mazda uses variable nozzle which according to savagegeese is like squeezing a water hose at low water volume to create higher pressure and this I believe is consistent with what I heard.

I'm ok with the whine.... So far.

But I have a different complain on drive line slack at coasting speed around 15mph with transmission in 3rd and engine rpm 1500..there's gear rattle as if you're driving a stick shift with too high a gear at very low speed.

Anyone experience this in their AWD turbo?

Can I bump this thread? I have about 1300 miles on a 2021 Sig, I’m getting the exact same sound described, and I faintly heard it in one of the posted videos previously in this thread.

Is there a fix, or has the exact root cause been determined? Does it go away with break in? Have dealers more or less panned this as “normal”?

Or, did I simply not search around enough and there’s another, more comprehensive thread that discusses the problem and remedy.

Love the car otherwise. Just want to drive without the radio always on to drown out the sound.

I have a GT-R and have the same sound. Seems to be specific to turbo models. It's got to be a relay as the sound comes and goes with acceleration vs deceleration. It's not going to go away with break in.

I simply ignore it 😊

I can't "not hear" it - and it's worse this time of year. For me, it seems that dry and cool/cold conditions make it worse. It's enough that I'm going to really try to figure it out - but not when it's a high of 27 for the day and winds blowing about 20mph! So, will wait for summer - and then do some deep inspection then. Of course, it will be harder to determine as the noise isn't as prevalent in warmer temps. My dealer really wants to write it off as the high pressure fuel pump (and it is high pressure!) - but I still say there should be a way to dampen or otherwise mute it.

Yup this sound is still ongoing. Hope there is a fix. I have gotten used to it. But would be better without it.

But I have a different complain on drive line slack at coasting speed around 15mph with transmission in 3rd and engine rpm 1500..there's gear rattle as if you're driving a stick shift with too high a gear at very low speed.

Anyone experience this in their AWD turbo?

I have a 2020 GTR. When it's coasting and lowers to about 12mph, there is a light clunk sound coming from the lower part of the car, and I can feel the car jerks slightly too. Is this the same issue you were describing?

chico, the noise I'm hearing is not a clunk. It's a noise similar to pinging (detonation) before cars had knock sensors. It's lighter in sound than pinging, but similar in sound. It actually goes away around the speed you mentioned as I'm decelerating - presumably because the engine isn't calling for much/zero fuel as you decelerate to a stop. Once I'm stopped can hear it again. Faint, but very annoying. It seems at its worst under light/medium acceleration when the engine noise is low, but fuel needs are increased.

Definitely specific to the turbos. I now have a 20 GT that does not make this noise. My 19 GTR has done it since the first time I drove it at the dealership.

Last edited:
At 9:20 in the video below he starts talking about this noise. Hes thinks injectors. But the rest of his description is aligned with what is being reported here.

You can start to hear it at 9:43.

I think that you are right - at least from my observation that is what I believe I hear in mine. The noise has seemed to get more noticeable now that the weather has been cold here. After car is fully warmed up to around 205 degrees it seems to be less noticeable. In my opinion it is very noticeable in this cold weather until the car fully warms up.

So i have this exact same issue with my cx-5 sg, at first i thought it had something to do with my dashcam install, like some electrical feedback, but it's definitely not coming from the speakers,
I posted it in the engine section of the forum, is there a solution?
i'm at 4500miles, does it resolve itself as davefr suggests?

thanks
I've got about 6K on my 2020 GTR and I seem to be paying more attention to it now. Cold weather seems to be a factor. That is all that has changed in my situation as I got the car I July. It is not until my car warms up completely that the sound level of this goes back to where it was tolerable back in the summer. So my guess is, it hit 205 degrees a lot sooner in the summer than winter. My hearing btw sucks and I hear it. My right ear is practically gone which makes it hard for me to localize where sound is coming from.
I had this problem a while ago and it went away slowly.

However, as the weather is getting much colder now, the problem is coming back.

I actually feel like it's louder than it was previously.

Possibly something to do with the cold weather?

Nonetheless, I'll probably finally take it into the dealership and have them look at it.

It's really loud now.
My experience exactly mirrors yours. The sound was there in the summer when I got it but now that cold weather has been here it seems worse. It does seem better after completely warming up to about operating temperature of 205 degrees. Then it actually sound or (doesn't) sound like it did during my initial experience while the weather was warm and it was all I knew. The worsening of the condition is what led me back here to search for others having the issue.

I can hear this if the fan is lower than level 4 and even when there’s music. Looking back at some previous comments I agree it’s likely just a vibration or something that needs to be insulated. My hearing is excellent, especially with higher frequency sounds like this one. I can hear it more than I think I should. All those years with blaring bass didn’t screw up my hearing too bad.

As a community of CX-5 owners, some with the turbo— how does this play out if the dealers want to shrug it off? My first service is due here in 2 months. For example— if I wanted to (and I don’t necessarily), could I throw a chunk of change at this with an independent shop and say “here’s $$ for diagnostics/investigation” and almost offer a bounty for them fixing the sound? An obvious response to that comment may be “then what’s the point of your warranty?”, which would be valid. But I mean, someone should be able to figure this out, right?

When I had an RX-8 (and it wasn’t an old car then), I found a detailed DIY about disassembling the radio/climate control down to the circuit boards to fix a temperature dial with some broken solder. A daunting DIY for my skill level, but I also saved several hundred dollars vs having it fixed by the dealer. I just feel like this should be easier to diagnose. “Take this apart, insulate with this, reassemble”. Idk, typing/thinking out loud, and likely oversimplifying.

Last note— I’ve never driven this car in warm weather, so I have no sense of the sound being less noticeable. That said, I do not think it goes away at all when I’m up to operating temp in the cold.

Regrettably this vehicle has issues which I am having difficulty accepting. My skinny butt does not feel comfortable in the driver's seat. I squirm around and try various positions with the seat controls and sometimes it tolerable as long as I don't move. That is my major annoyance and a discussion for another thread. I might be able to ignore the buzzing if I could get used to the hard and intrusive seat bolstering. I guess one needs to accept some seemingly less than minor design issues and enjoy and otherwise great vehicle ?

Regrettably this vehicle has issues which I am having difficulty accepting. My skinny butt does not feel comfortable in the driver's seat. I squirm around and try various positions with the seat controls and sometimes it tolerable as long as I don't move. That is my major annoyance and a discussion for another thread. I might be able to ignore the buzzing if I could get used to the hard and intrusive seat bolstering. I guess one needs to accept some seemingly less than minor design issues and enjoy and otherwise great vehicle ?

Not necessarily, it just means that this particular vehicle may not be for you. The seat appears to be an issue for some, but for most there are no complaints. The buzzing issue seems to be all over the place with varying levels of intensity - maybe this particular CX-5 just exhibits the issue more than a different one.

If you haven't spoken to the dealership or Mazda Corporate about your concerns yet, now would be the time to do so. If you aren't able to get any resolution from Mazda, file a complaint with the BBB. Unfortunately, a complaint to the BBB will not fix your issues, but with enough complaints, Mazda may be forced to take the issue more seriously (potentially leading to the release of a TSB or a redesigned seat in future models).

My 2019 GTR (only 160 miles) started producing a very faint high pitched sound today in the cabin.. It almost sounds like a mosquito.

I notice it when I press the accelerator and when the car is at a standstill. It increases when I press on the accelerator and dies down when I let go of the gas.

It's very faint but noticeable. Now that I hear it, it's really annoying and bothering me.

Anyone else experience the same problem or have any clues?

Have a feeling that when I take it to the dealer, the techs are gonna tell me they cant hear anything.

=(
Yes! Just took delivery of my 2021 signature, this noise is driving me crazy. Noticed it on day 1, now I am ready to return the vehicle. Mazda can't seem to solve or diagnose it, it's in the instrument cluster, tachometer most likely.

Yes! Just took delivery of my 2021 signature, this noise is driving me crazy. Noticed it on day 1, now I am ready to return the vehicle. Mazda can't seem to solve or diagnose it, it's in the instrument cluster, tachometer most likely.
Not the tach! :D

What is it then?
Yeah, I had to scour this thread to figure out what the sound was when I first heard it and *thought* that it was serious. Somewhere back in those first 100 posts. 😁

I’m coming from a 2020 Acura RDX that I had to trade in after 8,000 miles due to it dangerously shutting down during acceleration in the rain (with clueless dealer/service dept/corporate)*. I definitely took a hit trading in, but I’m happy and I don’t worry about the Mazda at all. I would recommend patience here. I’m confident someone will figure out how to eliminate or reduce the sound eventually. I plan to mention it on my first oil change— the sound seems loud enough in my car that they can’t say “we can’t hear it/ reproduce the sound”. That said, folks have also said it’s more pronounced in the cold (bought my Sig in November, haven’t driven on a warm day yet). With my luck I’ll have my first service on a sunny 80 degree day.

*the RDX had at least a dozen other problems as well, including odd electrical/infotainment issues. Luckily the Mazda dealer gave me an extraordinarily generous trade-in value that minimized the pain.

Back