Various warranty items - Anyone else had these issues?

:
2018 CX-9 GT
Hi everyone,

just want to see if other owners have had the same experience before asking for my dealer to look into these under warranty at my next service appointment. Car is a 2018 CX-9 GT. I will also use this post to update on dealers answer.

1. Windshield wiper fluid. When I turn on the wiper to clean the windshield, it always take a few seconds for the driver side fluid to come out. The passenger side comes out immediately. It only happens the first time after being left alone for a while. It is as if the hose empty itself on that side. Are you noticing the same thing ?

2. turn signal gets stuck. I got this strange behaviour from my turn signal stalks where it will sometime block me from singling left. (i try to lift it, but it won't go all the way until I bring it down all the way to signal right and back up.) It mostly happens on the highway when doing small maneuvers like changing lines. I have reported it to the dealer before and last time they took the steering column appart but it didn't solve the issue. Sadly I can't recreate it at will so everytime I am at the dealer I can't get it to block again.

3. Rust forming under paint on the roof. I was detailing the car and noticed strange bubbling on a specific spot on the roof behind the sunroof. It doesn't seem like there was any rock impact since the paint isn't broken yet. I expect the dealership to say it isn't covered yet because it is not "perforation" but hopefully will at least get it on records that it wasn't a rock impact.
IMG_5349.jpg

4. Headlight weatherstrip. How tight are your weatherstrip around the headlights. I noticed mine were a little loose, above the headlight and at the rear corner for both headlight. They are not fully out like another member posted earlier, but wondering if they are still "within normal". I might not bring it up this time and will watch to see if it gets worst. (It is kind of hard to show on photos since we lose the depth of the image.)
IMG_5359.jpg

5. Front passenger heated seat. My wife seems to think that the heated passenger heated seat sometimes take a while to kick in, and sometimes comes on right away. Not sure if they are just slow or if it is an issue so will ask to get it checked.

1. Windshield wiper fluid. When I turn on the wiper to clean the windshield, it always take a few seconds for the driver side fluid to come out. The passenger side comes out immediately. It only happens the first time after being left alone for a while. It is as if the hose empty itself on that side. Are you noticing the same thing ?

I do notice that the passenger side nozzle sprays before the driver's side nozzle, but the delay is less than half a second in my case.

2. turn signal gets stuck. I got this strange behaviour from my turn signal stalks where it will sometime block me from singling left. (i try to lift it, but it won't go all the way until I bring it down all the way to signal right and back up.) It mostly happens on the highway when doing small maneuvers like changing lines. I have reported it to the dealer before and last time they took the steering column appart but it didn't solve the issue. Sadly I can't recreate it at will so everytime I am at the dealer I can't get it to block again.

Very strange.. I've never heard of this happening before. Maybe the switch is sticking? I've read to try spraying some electrical contact cleaner into the base of the turn signal stalk, where the steering column is.

3. Rust forming under paint on the roof. I was detailing the car and noticed strange bubbling on a specific spot on the roof behind the sunroof. It doesn't seem like there was any rock impact since the paint isn't broken yet. I expect the dealership to say it isn't covered yet because it is not "perforation" but hopefully will at least get it on records that it wasn't a rock impact.View attachment 228356

I've seen this once before when a member bought a leftover model from a dealership and it had those tiny bubbles under the paint. I think eventually the rust appeared, but I don't remember if they figured out what the cause was or if it was fixed by the dealership. I don't know what Mazda will do in your case, but I'd definitely get it fixed while it's still early.

4. Headlight weatherstrip. How tight are your weatherstrip around the headlights. I noticed mine were a little loose, above the headlight and at the rear corner for both headlight. They are not fully out like another member posted earlier, but wondering if they are still "within normal". I might not bring it up this time and will watch to see if it gets worst. (It is kind of hard to show on photos since we lose the depth of the image.)
View attachment 228355

So far, mine look fine. Do your headlight beam patterns "wiggle" when you drive over small bumps at night? One member reported that the dealer replaced his headlights because of the loose rubber gasket, which seems kind of extreme, but it fixed the "wiggle" he was having.

5. Front passenger heated seat. My wife seems to think that the heated passenger heated seat sometimes take a while to kick in, and sometimes comes on right away. Not sure if they are just slow or if it is an issue so will ask to get it checked.

Not sure about this, mine seems to be consistent (for the driver's side, at least). Usually takes about a minute to start feeling the heat. Steering wheel starts to heat up much quicker (about 20-30 seconds).

Responses bolded in the quoted post. My car is a 2018 Sig with about 48000km.

One warranty thing I've had the dealership take care of is the driver's side headrest. I have a shaved head and my scalp is a bit oily (TMI? lol), so I cleaned the headrest and applied 303 protectant fairly often. The oils eventually built up and left a "shadow", so I had the dealership replace the headrest with a new one. I use a headrest cover now.

A couple of days ago I made a service appointment for Nov 3rd to have my brakes checked (I'm getting clicks and squeals consistent with the recent brake TSBs that were posted, and my VIN falls within the affected range). Brake pads and rotors were in excellent shape when I checked them during my winter wheel changeover.

1---it might be that the hose has a check valve (one way valve) to keep the fluid from running back. If so, that check valve may be defective. If this is it, it's an easy fix to replace that check valve.

Thanks for the return. For number i agree with PT guy, just wanted to see if this was normal behavior or a bad item. It doesn’t take long for the fluid to come out but the wipet has time to start swiping up before it does.

My headlight do seem to vibrate when i park in front of the garage door, but nothing that i have noticed while driving.

My headlight do seem to vibrate when i park in front of the garage door, but nothing that i have noticed while driving.

Yeah the member who got his headlights replaced by the dealer said that the "gasket" was loose and that was causing the wiggle

Quick update from my visit to the dealer. COVID makes it harder to discuss and argue with them, but I still have a year and a half of warranty left so I will get more opportunities.

1. Windshield wiper fluid. Dealer said it was normal since the hose is longer on the driver side. I don't think that's right because if there is a valve it would prevent the hose from emptying itself. But I don't know if there is a valve and if all your CX-9 are doing the same. I will post a video and hopefully will be able to see and compare

2. turn signal gets stuck. Dealer said the steering wheel cover trim was misaligned. They placed it properly. I will see if this solved the intermittent problem. It didn't reoccur on my drive back home but i need to drive it more to confirm.

3. Rust forming under paint on the roof. They took photos and I have to wait for the body shop sections to get back to me. More to follow.

4. Headlight weatherstrip. As I expected, they said the weather strip looked like their other strips on other CX-9. It really isn't sticking out by much at this point so I am not really surprised but I expect water and ice this winter may make it come out worst. I will monitor and bring the point back to them the next time if it gets worst.

5. Passenger heated seat. They verified the seats (or so they say) and said it was performing as per normal. They said the passenger seats can take a bit longer to warm up because of the additional components in the seat (pressure plate for airbags, etc). Not sure that is a valid reason but like I said in my earlier post, this was kind of a "maybe it is slow or not working right" from my wife. I wasn't really sure it was malfunctioning in the first place.

I'm pretty sure wiper fluid comes out at nearly the same time from both nozzles on my CX-9. I can post a video so you can show the service guys next time?

That would be great. I will try to take a video as well and maybe start a new thread on the subject.

That would be great. I will try to take a video as well and maybe start a new thread on the subject.

Ive noticed that if I use the wiper fluid and then go around a right hand corner at a "spirited" speed, the g force transfer causes some fluid to come out of the driver side nozzle. Try spraying your wiper fluid and going around a few turns and peek at the nozzle and see if that's your draining culprit

Update:

2. I report the turn signal issue every time I go to the dealer, of course it is never stuck when my appointment time come and they have tried everything short of replacing it. (removed, replaced the trim, inspected it, etc). The last time seemed to do the trick and work for a few months, but it started doing it again. It always comes up during highway driving. I will have to keep it in the stuck position next time until I go to the dealer.

4. Changed dealer and brought the headlight weatherstrip issue back again to the new dealer, i think it might also have gotten slightly worse also since i initially reported it. They inspected it and will now replace the weatherstrip under warranty (I am still under the 3 year initial warranty period). Parts have been received and my appointment is next week. Will update on the results.

Update:

2. Dealer finally replaced turn signal stalk under warranty. The issue hasn’t come back and it feels smoother now in its operation

4. Headlight weatherstrip have been replaced under warranty. No issues to report.

New issue:
Infotainment screen started developing the known problem of internal cracks at the bottom left corner. Noticed it 3 weeks before warranty was expiring, and i have an appointment for the dealer to look at it and hopefully replace it under warranty next week. (4 days before warranty expires).

C39CD4F5-1B59-4008-B279-737EE6F9B2E1.jpeg
E96C07B5-5B2D-4048-9402-77C4F235285B.jpeg

Some issues you listed also appeared on my 2017 6.
Drivers' side heated seat stopped working and had to be replaced two years ago (warranty).
I had my roof repainted last year due to the bubbling rust spots, exactly like yours. Mazda covered that as well, and didn't hesitate to do it. The body shop they sent it to did a great job btw. Very happy with the result.

I have not pushed the paint bubbling issue much further. Thanks for the info, i will take another look and maybe bring it up to my dealer again.

I have not pushed the paint bubbling issue much further. Thanks for the info, i will take another look and maybe bring it up to my dealer again.
Whether it was a good dealer or Ford/Toyota, my Ford's and Toyotas always got fixed under warranty.

Haven't figured out whether it's Mazda or the dealer I used, but I recently got charged by a Mazda dealer for something that should have been covered under warranty and am now trying to claw my money back.

It appears my dealer may not have even tried to check with Mazda to see if the items were covered.

The fact you need to keep bringing it up, means they are blowing you off.

Imo, you may want to open a ticket with Mazda customer care and include pics of the paint finish as well as your odometer to document the situation.

After my recent experience, will be documenting any further problems with my Mazda CX5 prior to taking it to the dealership. That way it's on record, and if the work isn't covered, I'll know it was Mazda who refused to fix it and not the dealership. Also, makes lawsuits much easier when you know who to sue. Instead of getting stuck with them fingerpointing at one another.

You are correct. I have two dealer in my area and have switched recently because the service at one of them wasn’t as good as it used to be. All the warranty work above as been done after the switch (headlight seal, turn signal stalk) where as the previous dealership either considered the issues normal or couldn’t replicate it.

Back