Upgrading my Sound System. Best recommendation for under $500?

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring
I'm looking to install a better sound system in my touring. Mainly the base :)

I have seen several options for under $500, but what do you guys recommend? I also wouldn't mind starting with just a sub woofer.

I also wouldn't mind starting with just a sub woofer.
Yes, starting with speaker replacement on dash and doors with coaxial speakers to improve the high notes and adding a sub-woofer to improve the bass. Speakers are the weakest link in most audio systems, especially on CX-5 even with Bose system!

Yes, starting with speaker replacement on dash and doors with coaxial speakers to improve the high notes and adding a sub-woofer to improve the bass. Speakers are the weakest link in most audio systems, especially on CX-5 even with Bose system!

Do you have any recommendations for brands/products? Do you think this would be a fairly simple installation (with a guide) for someone who has never installed speakers before?

Do you have any recommendations for brands/products? Do you think this would be a fairly simple installation (with a guide) for someone who has never installed speakers before?

If you're upgrading speakers it's quite easy to do yourself. The easiest way to do this would be to follow someones install guide for your generation of car. Usually it's best not to get too creative unless you have some idea as to why certain component were chosen. IMHO you're in a good place if you have a Touring without the Bose system since the Bose system IMHO is not worth it and adds upgrade complications.

If you have something relatively recent you can have a gander at the thread I have posted that details the upgrade process I did on my 2015 touring.

Edit: Just to add upgrading to a subwoofer might sound simple but it's a lot more invasive and harder to do as compared to doing speakers. You would be looking at having to get power from the engine bay to the amplifier, placing the amplifier somewhere and running cables to and from it, and tapping into the outputs off the stock deck. Far more involved than doing door speaker upgrades.

Last edited:
The latest and greatest speaker upgrade write-up for your non-Bose CX-5 Touring is by Anathema:

2015 6 Speaker Upgrade Details

Anathema was using Infinity Reference X speakers for the upgrade but many people found Polk Audio DB351/DB651 coaxial speakers are also an excellent choice for upgrade and available at Amazon.

This older thread for speaker upgrade is mainly for non-Bose CX-5 Sport:
Speakers on CX-5 SPORT model

As Anathema has mentioned, adding more bass power with a sub-woofer is an ideal but needs a lot more work.

If you read the other threads on this forum you will find threads like this: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123851994-Amp-install-on-2016-GT-with-Bose

That shows the level of work needed to install an aftermarket amp, which is what would power your subwoofer. Then also think about where you would put the subwoofer because that depends on what you buy.

For your budget here are some options for bass:
1) Convenience. Buying an all-in-one subwoofer/amp is an option (i.e. Kicker Hideaway, etc.), but they dont sound very good for the money but they are compact and can fit under a seat. To clarify on "don't sound very good," i mean that these subs will not give you chest rattling bass and are not for the bass-head or bass-enthusiast, but rather are for some lower-frequency fill in. ~$300 and a semi-difficult install. Not any/many vehicle-specific guides on this, but lots of info online.
2) Best performance for the money. Buy a subwoofer and box (as separate components for best $/performance ratio) (or as a sub-box combo for simplicity) and then also a mono amplifier, and then also a mono amplifier wiring kit. This setup will take up more space and most likely have to be located in the trunk area. This option is for when you want to feel the bass and have high quality bass that can keep up with increasing volume. ~$100-(you max budget here) and the most difficult install compared to other options. You can spend a lot of money in this category but best not to get carried away. Not any/many vehicle-specific guides on this, but lots of info online.

Budget options for speaker replacement:
1) Replace dash speakers with a pair of Polk DB351 (or similar sized speaker with maximum 4ohm impedance). ~$45 and an easy install. There are vehicle-specific guides on this.
2) Replace door speakers with 6.5" coaxial 2-way speaker with roughly 4ohm impedance. ~$40-$150 and an easy/medium install (cost increases with how many doors you do, quality of speaker you buy). There are vehicle-specific guides on this.

It is very hard to recommend a setup for you with the limited information you have given... there are many variables which are unique to each person's sound goals.
To me, I think well-rounded sound is important. I would replace the dash speakers at a minimum and then see if you like it. Re-asses how the sound is and what is lacking at that point. If you are a sound-enthusiast than predictably it will be bass, so you need to decide what you want to do with a subwoofer from the options ive listed above.

p.s. i spent a while writing this so hopefully someone finds it helpful!

Last edited:
I have picked up two amps on Ebay and I have repaired them. ~$40 each. Polk Audio PA660 and PA880.
Wait for speaker sale, in December.
I have picked up two sets of Infinity Primus components from Best buy for $129.99+tax. Buy one get one free deal.
3.5" Polks from Crutchfiled, for $24.99 shipped.
I have picked up from CL, a brand new JLAudio shallow 10" sub, which is $300 anywhere else. I have purchased it, brand new from a distributor, for $200.
There are good deals in December, it is worth waiting.

Last edited:
No problem! Let us know if you have any other questions or if you encounter a problem while tackling the job

p.s. i spent a while writing this so hopefully someone finds it helpful!
We really appreciate you for your upgrade information. This will help many people who want to do the upgrade!

3.5" Polks from Crutchfiled, for $24.99 shipped.
Thanks for the info! But how did you get a pair of Polk DB351 for such a good price? People have to pay around $50+!

I will never buy another brand of subwoofer after owning two JL Audio subwoofers. I have the 8" micro-sub in my CX5 and a much less expensive sealed 10" sub with their lower end driver that I actually really like in my Mazda5. It only cost at the time $130. I bought the amplifiers used and use an audio controls DQ-61 for the CX5 and the speaker level inputs on the amplifier for the Mazda5.

I am considering buying a CX-5 but am concerned about the audio systems they put in them. I think I would want to have the unit changed by a friend who understands car audio.

Since you have experience and seem to be a knowledgable car audio person, I want to know how difficult is it to change a non Bose audio unit in a CX-5?

They seem to be pretty well integrated into the dash and with the knob\joystick thing on the console, I don't want to mess the car up.

I'm not an audiophile but I do want a fairly simple set of audio controls (ie buttons to change stations and functions), connect to my iphone for streaming music and phone calls. NO IN CAR NAV. I use my phone for this...

Thanks for your input.

John

A member sent me a private message asking some advise so I shared my thoughts and what I have done with my CX5 Sport and CX5 Touring. I decided to share that response here on this thread in case it might help someone else. I have also installed Damplifier sound deadening from the rear foot wells all the way back to the rear hatch and on all four doors, which made a 3 db reduction in noise when measured with a Radio Shack sound meter. Below is what I wrote.

There are a few things you can do depending on the level of sound quality you prefer. The simplest thing to do is to NOT replace the factory radio but just upgrade some or all of your speakers. The first CX5 I purchased was a 2013 Sport with the basic radio and 4 speaker system. I added some Pioneer TS-T110 7/8-Inch Hard-Dome Tweeters to the front dash under the left and right grilles, which adds clarity and dimension to the system. They were at the time ~ $30 for a pair. I was very happy at the time with just the added tweeters as an upgrade.

You can also change out the door speakers for new two or three way coaxial door speakers for an even greater improvement in sound quality, but you have to choose wisely here because the factory radio doesn't have much power. You want to choose a 6.5" or 6.75" coaxial speakers with an efficiency or sensitivity rating greater than 90, but this can vary a little. The sensitivity rating tells you how efficiently speakers convert power into sound. The higher the number, the louder the speakers will play. An efficient speaker helps you maximize your available power. Some great speakers for this are the Pioneer TS-A1675R three ways or the Alpine SPS-610 Type S 6-3/4" 2-way car speakers. The Alpine are slightly higher end speakers and may need an amplifier to sound the best. My wife currently has the 6x8 Pioneer 3 way coaxial speakers in her Mazda 5, which sounds pretty good on the factory radio, soon to be ungraded this weekend with a Sony single din radio and class D amplifier. For higher end brands look at the Alpine type R and X, Pioneer Premier, and Focal. The Nakamichi NSE65 seem like promising less expensive but good sounding coaxial speakers based on reviews.

You can replace the factory radio, but this is where things get expensive and complicated. For the 2016 CX5 as you mentioned, you will likely lose the commander control knob in the center consol. Crutchfield can advise you on this and they are a fantastic car audio retailer. They have the most generous return policy and great tech support and they ship fast. The CX5 dash accepts what they call double din radios, which come in touch screen versions and regular old fashion push button radios with a LCD screen. These will give you the best sound quality and options. If you decide to go this route than you will need a touch screen CD or DVD double din radio so that you can retain the backup camera function. The great thing about Crutchfield is that they tell you what fits your CX5 and with what adapters you will need. They will also provide you with customized installation instructions tailored for you vehicle. They back this all up with real knowledgeable tech support over the phone to help you every step of the way. The best head units out there are made by Alpine, Kenwood Exelon, Pioneer, and I think Sony has come a long way too. Look for features such as 4 channel preamp outputs with at least 4 volts (2V is just ok) and subwoofer preamp outputs so that you have more options for upgrading in the future.

With factory radios becoming more and more integrated into other automobile systems, there is a growing segment dedicated to factory radio improvement. Companies such as Audio Controls have some pretty slick and simple devices that you add to your factory radio to allow you to upgrade them with amplifiers and adjust them with equalizers and time alignment. They can also compensate for things like bass roll off, which is common on factory radios to protect the paper cone speakers. In my CX5 I added an Audio Controls DQ-61, which allowed me to add a Pioneer 4 channel Premier stage 4 amplifier with 75 watts per a channel. I upgraded the front speakers with Polk Audio (I do not recommend them) components with a crossover and the rears with Polk coaxial speakers, all 6.5. I purchased a JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 micro sub and this is powered with a very old 23 year old Alpine amplifier, which still out performs many amplifiers made today. With the DQ-61 I am able to fine tune the system and use the time alignment feature to adjust speaker outputs so that they all reach my ears at the same time. This time alignment is something I never thought would be so great; it makes a big difference. There are adapters that you can buy that make wiring these things into your factory harness almost plug and play so that you do not have to cut any factory wires.

The last thing I want to emphasize is the importance of a subwoofer. A subwoofer will add a new dimension to your system. It adds that depth and punch that makes listening to music enjoyable. In my opinion JL Audio subwoofers are by far the best subwoofers for the money on the market. I like the micro sub because its small and relatively light for its size and it puts out tremendous high quality bass for just being an 8 subwoofer in a tiny box. I like it too because when I want it out of the way I just unplug it and remove it with ease.

If you do not want to spend a lot of money than I recommend that you keep your factory radio and upgrade the speakers. Purchase an Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack class D amplifier, which you can fit behind your radio to power the door speakers. Purchase an add an amp adapter https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) or audio controls LC8 converter with some plug and play wiring harnesses and add a JL Audio micro sub with a built in amplifier such as this http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-subwoofer-systems-amplified-microsub

The first CX5 I purchased was a 2013 Sport with the basic radio and 4 speaker system. I added some Pioneer TS-T110 7/8-Inch Hard-Dome Tweeters to the front dash under the left and right grilles, which adds clarity and dimension to the system. They were at the time ~ $30 for a pair. I was very happy at the time with just the added tweeters as an upgrade.
The last thing I want to emphasize is the importance of a subwoofer. A subwoofer will add a new dimension to your system. It adds that depth and punch that makes listening to music enjoyable.
Thank you for spending time writing such a detailed information on audio system upgrades for CX-5. It'd not only help many people with some upgrades in their mind, but also for the people who are not really interested in doing it but they can learn many aspects of doing the car audio upgrades.

Many forum members have recommended Polk Audio DB351 and DB 651s. Any specific reasons you dislike them?

Yes, subwoofer is very important so as the tweeters for a good audio system. I simply don't understand why Mazda and Bose designed a "premium" 9-speaker sound system for CX-5 without either one of them! Amazing!

Many forum members have recommended Polk Audio DB351 and DB 651s. Any specific reasons you dislike them?

yes, I do not like the tweeters. They are overly bright to the point that they are fatiguing even with the crossovers set to -3 db. I had to put a pieces of felt over each tweeter in order to dumb them down. They also have a weird overtone that makes some music sound unnatural, especially when using the FM radio for some reason. Anything with an S sound sounds more like Ssss and just sounds off. To be fare I have the older version component Dxi 6500 marine grade with 1" liquid cooled soft dome tweeters. I'm not so sure that the new 6501 version uses the same tweeters. The mid bass driver sounds very good for this price range.

I was listening to some older Alpine type X 6.5" components (Alpines top of the line speakers) in a nearby car audio store and man did those sound so good. They were smooth and clear running off an Alpine head unit. They originally retailed for ~ $500 though and they still wanted $300 for the display set. Too much for me to justify in an automobile but the point is you typically get what you pay for.

I recently discovered this http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13610W0V34/JL-Audio-10W0v3-4.html?tp=68872 subwoofer fromJL Audio. With the proper box this might be a great way to get JL SQ without the huge price.

Back