Upgrade Mazda CX-9 to Hands Free Tailgate

Does anybody know how the new 2020 hands free tailgate works and if we can retrofit it on earlier years. Would like to put it on my wife’s 2019. Thanks

Not quite sure if this can be achieved. I am missing a lot of information but maybe this can get you started on the right track.

You would need at the very least the parts below (sorry I don't have the parts number):

- 1x foot motion detection sensor
- 1 x foot motion detection unit.
- the cables and connectors required to connect the detection unit to the car.

Basically, the foot motion detection sensor runs along the base of the bumper either on the bumper or on the car frame, I can't quite figure it out from images. (it looks like a cable that runs back and forth along a portion of the rear frame or rear bumper). It connects into the foot motion detection unit which is a control box. There is a cable going from the detection unit to the car. There is a cover held by screws and fastener covering both unit, and both unit are held in place by clips and fasteners.

The three potential issues that I see that might make this upgrade hard or impossible to achieve.
- I am not sure the clips and attachment points to hold the sensor, the unit and the cover are present on older CX-9.
- I am not sure where the systems connects to the rest of the vehicle and if that connection is present/available on older CX-9.
- If everything was hooked up right, I am not sure if the car control systems can recognize and understand the command signals from the foot motion detection unit. It depends how the logic was implemented, if it is just an open/closed command identical to the one already present on the lift gate buttons, it may not be an issue, but if it is anything different it might require an update to the car software, which you would likely have a hard time getting done.

First-time post on the forum. Please correct me if I'm wrong. When your key is close to the car, the car already knows the key is presented. It just a matter of sending a signal to the car telling it to open the tailgate like pressing the open button on the tailgate. There is an aftermarket one for the CX-5. It might work on the CX-9 as well.

Cool find. Didn't know they made aftermarkets one. But yes, logically if the foot detector can mimic the button press command and insert it in the right circuit then it would work. The key is to find where to tap in to. If the open door button is directly mounted on the logic controller then tapping in behind the button could be very hard (if even possible), but if it sends a signal to another module then you could possibly tap that wire, as long as the button signal is a simple - power on-off signal.

Back