Upgrade from 17 inch steels to alloys for Canadian GX based model

:
CX-5, fwd auto
Hi,

The Canadian GX base model without convenience package comes with the steel wheels. Altough I do not mind the style, I do not like the color on the steel wheels, particularly on silver cx-5.

I have few options and would like to know which option would be the best way to go. The reasons I have chosen the base GX with steel wheels were due to budget, but also durability of steel wheels on long road trips.

Option 1) Just leave without doing anything.
Option 2) Use sand pager and repaint steel wheels to bright silver color.
Option 3) Buy factory 17 inch alloys and sell my steel alloys. (but can't find anyone within Pacific Northwest selling the factory 17 inch alloys)
Option 4) Buy aftermarket alloys such as sports edition (Like D5) from tirerack for approximately $500 dollears shipped to Canada and sell my steel wheels. (But if I need to replace one or two wheels in the future, being aftermarket alloys gets discountinued all the time, I will not be able to find new or used one and therefoe ending up buying whole new sets which gets more costly in addition to paying $500 now.)

If some one with big heart can share any thought or comment will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Option 1: fine
option 2: please dont - looks so cheap
option 3: good but possibly keep the steels for winter and alloys for summer (better to buy full set with tires)
option 4: Ok but remember you've gotta pay for tire dismount and remount on the new rims. Thats gonna add a bit to the price.

option 5 not listed: buy after market rims and tires and keep steels for winter - best choice

I also got the steel wheels and will be keeping them for winter use. I'll buy aftermarket 17" wheels and put the Yokohamas on there for now.

I would also vote against sanding and painting...perhaps plastidip (or whatever that's called)?

Keep the steels for you winter tires. I have been looking for some winter wheels and have been surprised how many types of Mazda alloys have been showing up on Craigslist in my area. Do you have Craigslist in Vancouver?

Thank you so much for all of your replies. At least Option 2 is not the way to go.
Yes, we do have craiglist in Vancouver but as we do not get a lot of snow during the winter months, (average 2-3 times) I do not need to keep my steels wheels for the winter tire. I have managed to drive through out the winter with all season tires for the past many years. (Vancouver winter gets below freezing in the morning but usually above freezing during the day and mostly rains here in the winter)
I just thought of another option 6, to find used mazda mvp 17 inch alloys if I can find them in good shape, but it seems like missmatch having used alloys on brand new car.

I was in the same situation you were. I have the silver CX-5 with steels and couldn't stand them. I bought a set of 18x8 after market rims and 235/55 R18 tires for $1800 installed. You can probably get them for cheaper if you shop around online. I chose to buy local. I'm now debating if I should use the 17" steels for my winter rims (tires look a bit expensive) or sell them and buy a set of 16" black steels.

Thank you again for comments and replies. I will most likely stay with the steel wheels and look for the 17inch alloys for sale for now. If anyone knows where is a good place to look for CX-5, 17 inch Alloys, please let email me.
At the time of sale, it just seems to be $1200 option for alloys wheels seems too steep for me.
Also, can anyone give me a comments on how much my steel wheels would worth? It would be appreciated.

I see you're in BC. I just checked craigslist Vancouver. One guy is selling the rims only (in September) for $650, another is selling the rims and tires for about $1385.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/pts/3200506925.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/pts/3084477063.html

Hope that helps. I'd make you an offer for your steel wheels, but I don't even have my CX5 yet. Another few weeks. Steel rims would be good for winter tires like many have commented. Still for the first year at least and the amount of snow we get (if any at all) the factory all seasons on an AWD will be just fine.

Have you checked with some place like Kal Tire? They may be able to get you a non-factory equivalent for a good price. The shop in Langley and Cloverdale has all kinds of custom wheels on display.

Last edited:
Thank you both for BCdad and Dan. BCdad please email me for an offer will be great. For Dan, I did not realize kaltire had mag wheels with visualizer. I will take a closer look.
Only thing I worry about aftermarket alloys is if one is bent few years down the road and if they do not produce that wheel anymore, I need to buy 4 sets of brand new alloys again which will be costly. Thank you again for some insights to both of you.

Thank you both for BCdad and Dan. BCdad please email me for an offer will be great. For Dan, I did not realize kaltire had mag wheels with visualizer. I will take a closer look.
Only thing I worry about aftermarket alloys is if one is bent few years down the road and if they do not produce that wheel anymore, I need to buy 4 sets of brand new alloys again which will be costly. Thank you again for some insights to both of you.

I've considered the same problem and that is why I've finally decided to keep my factory steels for winter. If anything happens to one or more of the after market rims, I'm just going to try and sell the remaining rims and put the steels back on. Worse case scenario if I can't sell them privately, I'll have all 4 scraped and get what I can from the yard. It will suck but after spending $1800 I don't plan on spending another dime until my tires wear out.

Some of their styles stay the same year after year.

Back