Unexplained noise while driving...Wind noise, squealing?

Hi Everyone,

Wondering if you could help me track down a noise that randomly occurs while driving 60+ km/h in a 2019 CX-5 GX AWD in Canada.

We've spoken to the dealer and because it's random - they can't help us.

Sound clip is attached... sorry it's long but if you listen closely you will hear a noise that's hard to explain... maybe a squeal, or tone, or long chirp? First sound hits around 13
seconds in.

Thanks for any insight that you may have!!!

Attachments

• Mazda Car noise 6 6.mp4
    7.9 MB
Well, that is weird! I'd definitely stay on your dealer and continue recording evidence. Perhaps elevate to corporate if your dealer won't pursue? Good luck.

Hi Everyone,

Wondering if you could help me track down a noise that randomly occurs while driving 60+ km/h in a 2019 CX-5 GX AWD in Canada.

We've spoken to the dealer and because it's random - they can't help us.

Sound clip is attached... sorry it's long but if you listen closely you will hear a noise that's hard to explain... maybe a squeal, or tone, or long chirp? First sound hits around 13
seconds in.

Thanks for any insight that you may have!!!

I'm actually very familiar with this noise. I had my windshield replaced and this noise started to show up especially on the highway but not all of the time. It seems to only appear at certain wind speeds or the direction of the wind blowing against the car.

So if you had your windshield replaced recently, I'm thinking you have the same issue as me. The windshield person came back and put some more of the adhesive all around but it doesn't solve it 100% but it did reduce the amount of occurrences. My best advice would be to use a leaf blower to see if you can trace the area that's making that noise with a passenger in the vehicle. Mine seemed to originate at the center top portion of the windshield.

I haven't really bothered to solve mine yet but my theory is when the wind hits the windshield, there's probably a lip around the windshield that lifts up and the wind goes under it which causes it to drag instead of passing right over it.

From this end it sounds to me like a possible rubbing sound. Trouble shooting starts with user stuff that some people like my wife :love: find insulting. Are you sure there isn't something somewhere in the cabin or the spare well that isn't rubbing against something?

Once upon a time I heard an intermittant creaking sound coming from the rear end of a sedan. Long story short, what I initially thought might be suspension wear turned out to be a fold up golf cart rubbing against something in the trunk.

I had a sound like this in another car and it was coming from the AC/Heater blower. Try driving again with the AC/Heat completely off and see if you hear it.

Woah I had the same experience just yesterday while driving against high winds!!! I’ve had the car for 3 months and never experienced this before.

EDIT:

After some research, it seems this whistle/squealing noise issue seems to show up on several model years. It might be due to a small gap on the roof rail (https://www.mazdaworld.org/threads/cx-5-2018-version-high-pitched-squeal-whistle-like-noise.337073), brake shields, or side mirrors ( ).

Its been suggested to take it in for inspection since our vehicles are still under warranty.

Last edited:
Here's an idea. Put some painters' tape, or some other kind that comes off easily...try taping all around the windshield and take it for a drive on a day when it's doing it. See if that stops it. If it does, then you're on the track to solving it.
The noise reminds me of when you blow between your thumbs with a blade of grass in there.

Was there cross winds on the day it was doing it?

Back